What to Look For When Shopping For Vinyls to Sample

G-French

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
All I can say is the best thing to do I read up on the type of music you like. Find an artist or two and see who they have worked with. If the band broke up see where the members went and get the records with the new band they are with. I find this works alot because musicans seem to keep the same style for awhile. As when you can get music you like so that way once you sample one sound you can still listen to the album.

FuzE

i make beatz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 99
Sometimes I think its good to go out on a limb and cop something totally different than what ur used to. Usually when i get a block i'll go and cop something that I wouldn't particularly like and lots of times i find something in there thats ill to freak.

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
Nice one guys all the info has helped alot.

Peace

ed_sizzahanz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I agree w/ G French, find out who you like on the different instruments and look for records with those dudes performing on them. That way if you need drums, look for so-and-so, if you need horns, look for so-and-so. Hey, diggin' is an art!

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
check the year cos different eras have a different sound but me im sticking with 60's and early 70's i aint even tryna touch the 80's shit.

also avoid shiny laminate covers.

and check the producers and the lable.

Royal

Tha RENEGADE
ill o.g.
JPeg said:
check the year cos different eras have a different sound but me im sticking with 60's and early 70's i aint even tryna touch the 80's shit.

also avoid shiny laminate covers.

and check the producers and the lable.

yeah, I would say that checking the year is important while diggin.

...and don't get disco records.

-Roy

Aminimity

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Copenhagen said:
I'll buy anything that has a half naked lady or a big afro on it... ;) ...and I'm not kidding. Haven't been too disappointed with my criteria so far.

haha, i do that too. which would explain all the ohio players i have......

i look at record lable, year, names of musicans, producer....

on 45s its all years and record lable.
on LPs i look at the same but pay attension to the production credits. And a big afro on the cover helps too.

Aminimity

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Royal said:
yeah, I would say that checking the year is important while diggin.

...and don't get disco records.

-Roy

Not true all the time. Bohhanna hamilton is disco, but has some mean hits/drums.

There is 2 types of disco records to me. One being the mainstream disco stuff that almost always sucks. But there is an era of disco were some funk/soul artists are in a transition phase.

Disco is tricky but can yeild good results

Konvict

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I usually look at covers that have nice colors or a unknown French chick on the front...French people be having some sick shyt! Anyways, I usually by records with a dark background and bright colors like yellow and blue and shyt. I dont know why I do this, but it works everytime. Or I'll just look at the song titles on the back. If I see something titled "My Gun" or something, I'll cop it.

hobgoblin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Anything classical, nothing 80's onwards

Also, why is it all eastern european artists are 100 year olds with long dark beards?!!!

If i see a cover with a really old bearded guy holding a violin or ethnic instrument thats pre 80's i'll cop that shit right away!

The-Shadow

Ego Sum Vox Manus Deus
ill o.g.
I'll pick up anything that's unusual; something that I would think people would overlook. Records like those are usually ill.

shogun3001

ill o.g.
hey great topic.

i just got my 1200 and started to collect and i will try a hybrid version of all ideas and suggestions.
i am sure this will help me

thanks

-shogun

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
shogun3001 said:
hey great topic.

i just got my 1200 and started to collect and i will try a hybrid version of all ideas and suggestions.

That's phat. I think I need to get myself a turntable so I can start diggin.

WORDAMOUPH

NUPHONIX PRODUKTIONS
ill o.g.
I look at the cover. but you can flip just about anything, sometimes the shit u never thouhgt of sampling is the dopest shit u can sample, dont go for the obvious, improvise

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I myself am not too particular about what I choose; unless I'm looking for a specific instrument to sample. For example I have alot of instrument specific titles like "Sounds Of A Thousand Strings" or "Piano Encores" "The Million Dollar Sound Of The World's Most Precious Violins". You get the picture. I don't mess with that disco ish too much. Every once in a while you can find some funk group that did some disco. Then you can find some decent stuff. But the majority of that disco ish is just garbage. Crazy covers are a definite plus. Especially if it's funk or during the lsd era.
ONE

DJ Xsinna

The Big Bang-BINO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 43
BeAtArKiTeK said:
I just go by the cover and if i think it will have some good material , i usually go for the funkiest shit i see...lol
but thats just me

Yeah, I do that too sometimes...lol. I have had some success & surprizes using this method. Mostly, I do research online first. When I find some junk, I compile a list and then I go searching for those records (When I have a particular purpose in mind). Most times, i just go off instinct.

K

KardiacKids

Pay attention to the credits , read what musicians played on the albums and see what instruments were played.