What makes a street record??

WhoDoneIt?

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
i cant make 1 for anything my beats sound so club cuz thats what im use to makin i use to have a goal to be a east coast producer by havin east coast heads rappin on my club type beats but spittin punchlines not even tryna make a club record but i wanted to try my hand and just make a hood beat i tried samplin composin switchin my drums slowin down the tempo i think its the sounds that im usin what type of sounds make a street record sound ... street

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
man its basiclly whats inside of you doin't force yourself to make music that is not you. but some tips to get into that type of music is to look into old movie soundtracks they useally have that dramtic music to give you an idea of that sound

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
You can make a street record on club beats. It just depends on the mood of the track. Think of R&B when it went to hip hop drum beats and all it did was just spice it up a little. Mary J. Blige, for instance... Puff Daddy was blendin the hip hop beats over R&B... who woulda thought? Now it's just a normal sound.

Never be afraid to try new things. If they sound good in the recording, and the beat just sounds lacking, go back and switch somethin up. Sometimes all it takes is a minor change: putting the hi hat on 16th notes instead of 8th notes (or vice versa), adding a sustained key to make it darker, taking out a few notes to make it simpler, simplifying the bass line... there are so many things to do to a beat already made.

To make a "hood" beat... don't try so hard. Maybe try to make the shittiest beat you've ever made, and see how it comes out. Some people try too hard and the result is nothing like they planned. You gotta experiment so you know what you're capable of.

Vell

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
the beat has to have dark sounds and be heavy hittin. the lyrics has to be hard almost thugged out.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
I think a hood beat cant have weak/club sounding sounds in it. You gotta have some drums that are phat and crisp that wanna slap you out of your seat when you hear it. Damn I don't know what else to say I thought i'd be more helpful than that lol. I'd say just listen to all of the "hood" stuff you can, whatever you consider hood just listen to it and study it. you'll develop an ear for it and notice all of the sounds. You'll be bumpin some street shit in no time.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
5th Sequence said:
I think a hood beat cant have weak/club sounding sounds in it. You gotta have some drums that are phat and crisp that wanna slap you out of your seat when you hear it. Damn I don't know what else to say I thought i'd be more helpful than that lol. I'd say just listen to all of the "hood" stuff you can, whatever you consider hood just listen to it and study it. you'll develop an ear for it and notice all of the sounds. You'll be bumpin some street shit in no time.
True that 5th, listening to Mobb Deep or somone should have you in the mood in no time.
Additionally while your there listening to the trax, listen for solo sounds like a snare and kiks a single bass sound or whatever and try sampling that stuff and soon youll be using the same kits they are.
That WILL change your sound.

Elementree

Musical Wizardry
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Listen to "Lean BacK". That is a club record but a street record at the same time. You've got to get orchestral strings. The soundfonts are only good for certain shit, but a really nice string vst like Halion or Syntheway with a dark melody will have you on track in no time. Try layering a Tamb. over the snare, it gives it a gritty sound, use some guitar picks, try not to use congas or bongos only when necessary, takes away from the street feel. Piano's are key. You must have a nice piano vst or soundfont that you can tweak and muffle. horns are also good as long as they sound realistic.

The main thing is make sure the melody is in a MINOR key. dont switch it up to where it goes major for a sec. and then goes back to minor. It has to be consistant. Listen to the beats on Beef 3 in the background or some Dr. Dre beats to get some inspiration.

Peace

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
you'll never get a real east coast beat if you compose.

WhoDoneIt?

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Finally

Ya i finally made a street record it was basic as hell im not used to make so simple beats it was shaker on 1/8th, With hard hittin kick i made in Acid with Mpc3000 template and a light snare with a big brass horn

Elementree

Musical Wizardry
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Vince said:

I agree Vince, Most of the time when I try and make an east coast beat it comes out like a west coast or club type beat. I will disagree however because I been makin some real gritty, jazzy tracks lately w/ these vinyl instrument vst simulators and the shit sounds pretty gritty and east coast. If you get a chance man check out that preserve track I did on the homepage, its only a clip but I think it sounds a little east coast

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Elementree: The track was real nice man! It don't have to be as slow as that though. And as a general rule. If you want that east coast/boom bap sound. Don't ever use claps. Same thing with shakers. Just hi-hats and snares!

When you lay down the drums, try to get inspiration from old drumbreaks. You'll notice that the hi-hat isn't all over the place, it's generally on a 1/8th note, even though it have some swing to it.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Vince said:

Sure you can, ur drums just have to fit the style and after that everything tends to fall into place. ITs a little more difficult if your not from the east coast..

As a matter of fact I just watched a video of a cat make an east coast beat from scratch, make it bang, then close it without saving.

http://malefactor.org/beatmakingvideos/Cartel.wmv

enjoi

WhoDoneIt?

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
thats the style i was tryna do like a lean back club street record or something like ether mobb deep sux the beat Havoc had on lloyd banks album was tight but them cats suck.

A

Authority

get sum grimy drums, dark pianos, and nice bass sounds......and even sometimes it good to use a sample in your beat.......kind like a wu-tang feel to your trax...

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
It's only difficult if your not from the East Coast becuase that distinct sound is much more easily accessible than it is in other places. You can sound like anything you want to sound like if you apply yourself thoroughly. I'm from Oregon (I know some of you are like where the fuck is that??). Northwest Coast, but I have an Eastcoast sound. (<<or so they tell me)

members online