What Makes a Hip Hop Album A Classic

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Am I the only one who thinks 'Me against the world' is better than 'All eyez on me'? And that 'Slim Shady LP' is more of a classic than 'Marshall Matters LP'?

Songs like If I Die 2nite, Temptations, Me Against the World, Old School, So Many Tears, Dear Mama etc etc are classics!

and I don't really think Be deserves to be called a classic. GRODT from 50 is a classic though...

Some others that needs to be mentioned:
EPMD - Strictly Business
Large Professor - The LP
Blahzay Blahzay - Blah blah blah
Big Daddy Kane - It's a Big Daddy Thing
Big Daddy Kane - Long live the Kane
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Black Moon - Enter Da Stage

Benny BuKu

BAD NEWS
ill o.g.
Vince said:
Am I the only one who thinks 'Me against the world' is better than 'All eyez on me'? And that 'Slim Shady LP' is more of a classic than 'Marshall Matters LP'?

Songs like If I Die 2nite, Temptations, Me Against the World, Old School, So Many Tears, Dear Mama etc etc are classics!

and I don't really think Be deserves to be called a classic. GRODT from 50 is a classic though...

Some others that needs to be mentioned:
EPMD - Strictly Business
Large Professor - The LP
Blahzay Blahzay - Blah blah blah
Big Daddy Kane - It's a Big Daddy Thing
Big Daddy Kane - Long live the Kane
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Black Moon - Enter Da Stage

I agree w/ Raekwon and Black Moon....I don't think any of Pac's albums are classic...
or Common....and 50's Get Rich or Die Tryin??? Good album...can't front...but Classic???
I don't know bout all that...again....just my opinion...
oh and the GZA's Liquid Swords....definite classic....maybe best solo album of all time....
and if you don't agree...please....go back and listen to it....verse for verse..song for song....I'm tellin you....do the knowlege

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
Vince said:

I'll agree with parts of this. Me Agianst The World is DEFINATELY a dope record, and possibly a classic. I just didn't want to throw a list of 50 albums out there, I more or less picked the best from each artist.

As far as 50 Cent - GRODT. I will second that motion. Definately a dope record, through and through. I think people are jaded by how commercial he is and won't agree with it, but I can easily listen to that top to bottom, multiple times. And it is 100x better than Massacre ever was or could be. Many Men?! That's a classic single, and to me makes the record. You can't deny it. The numbers show it. Massacre sold less than half of what GRODT did and he had way more promotion and recognizability on that album. But it didn't stand the test of time. Biggest first week ever, then dropped off. Don't get me wrong, 5 million copies give or take aint bad, but GRODT has diamond status. 10million+ worldwide. It's undenyable

Benny BuKu

BAD NEWS
ill o.g.
djswivel said:
I'll agree with parts of this. Me Agianst The World is DEFINATELY a dope record, and possibly a classic. I just didn't want to throw a list of 50 albums out there, I more or less picked the best from each artist.

As far as 50 Cent - GRODT. I will second that motion. Definately a dope record, through and through. I think people are jaded by how commercial he is and won't agree with it, but I can easily listen to that top to bottom, multiple times. And it is 100x better than Massacre ever was or could be. Many Men?! That's a classic single, and to me makes the record. You can't deny it. The numbers show it. Massacre sold less than half of what GRODT did and he had way more promotion and recognizability on that album. But it didn't stand the test of time. Biggest first week ever, then dropped off. Don't get me wrong, 5 million copies give or take aint bad, but GRODT has diamond status. 10million+ worldwide. It's undenyable

I agree with GRODT being a good album, but not a classic...I don't care how many records it sold...numbers aint everything....
Jay-Z's Reasonable Doubt's record sales don't compare to any of his following albums yet was most definitely his best.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
I think the impact GRODT had on the music/hip-hop industry qualifies it to be a classic. Even though I feel that a classic should have NO weak tracks, it does have one or two weak tracks, but then again it got like 20 something tracks.

bluchippa5

Golden Ear
ill o.g.
Me Against the World was definitely Pacs best album-and yes I would qualify it as a classic up there with Illmatic-both heartfelt poetry put into music, if I'm not sounding too sentimental. I know both of these cds got me through hard times when I was younger. I can listen to these cds(or tapes at the time) and relate to what each was going through. I could depict every scenairo painted on each song. I'm from Louisiana, and had never been to New York, but I could smell the "piss in the elevator" when I listened to Nas. I could feel the somberness and lonliness when Pac would spit bcuz he carried the weight of the world on his shoulders. Regardless of what the cat ended up, that cd showed how humble he really was before he was influenced and people started fuckin with him.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Tracks like "Old School" also gives you a side of Tupac that he didn't show that often. He proved that he was a serious hip-hop head and that he really was more than knee-deep in the hip-hop culture.

L. Soul

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If GRODT is a classic, Be definitely is. Be did everything a classic should:

Nice Beats
Simplicity with a point
Meaningful tracks
Storytelling
No skippable tracks

GRODT did not do that at all. GRODT was a good album, maybe great, but not classic.