what machine should i buy

P

Progec

i been workin extra hours to save up for a drum machine
and just wanted to know what would ya'll suggest
i'd really appreciate the help

B

Briellz

What you should do is go to a place that supplies studio equipment, and play with some samples. Get the feel of it and ask a rep how it works...

I'd suggest doing that before spending a lot of money on something you know little about.

I bought a Akai Mpc 2000XL and I think its great. It works perfect with my triton.

Hawla back if you got anymore questions bro!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Drum machine? Are you sure that's what you want? They're good, but they don't really give you the kind of drums that you're looking for. Most hip hop drums are from samples.

P

Progec

thanx for the input i was thinking about getting the akai
mpc 2000xl

P

Progec

nah but i wasn't gonna jump into it
my cousin in new york got one
he's said he'd show me how to use it
over december vacation

i far from making my decision on what to buy
it's a lot of money for this shit but it's what i want to
do in life

Once again thanx

B

Briellz

Let me know what you think of the MPC after your vacation!!!!

P

Prophet

Buy a Pentium III or better computer. Get software synthesisers and software sampler. Get sequencer also. MPC is not very good buy with the good technology now for computer.

B

Briellz

Pshhhhh your crazy....

Im a studio rat....I like the the real deal equipment! Im don't really fuck with all these softwares and stuff. My production sounds much better when I stopped messing with that kind of stuff...and just bought some good equipment. I understand not everybody can't afford it. nah mean?...

P

Prophet

Real deal equipment? That argument is crazy.

That argument sound like analogue versus digital recording argument in earlier years. MPC has been marketed to people that can find better solution elsewhere. All are entitled to own opinion though.

B

Briellz

There nuttin crazy about it......Like I keep saying, everybody has there own personal prefrence on what to you nah'mean?

Nobodys arguing

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

Prophet brings up the point that I was trying to make with my original post, that people can find cheaper and more powerful solutions than just running out and buying the hardware sampler/sequencers, but because of marketing hype and the tendancy for the hip-hop community to simply 'follow the leader' everyone feels that the MPC is 'the' machine for hip-hop.

It's the same in the techno community, everyone feels that they need to have a 909 or 303 (which cost a TON of money in the second-hand market) to make a good track, they don't realize that they can simulate a 909 kick with an analogue synth or run a simple sawtooth waveform through a distortion pedal to make a convincing acid lead.

It's only when people start learning about how to become original and making their own sounds and beats using what they've got instead of running out to buy whatever everyone else has because they think it will guarantee them a good track.

Here's a mark of a good producer/programmer: give him ONLY a waveform editor, like Sound Forge or Cool Edit, and tell him to have a track done in a few hours. No sampling off discs, so external sounds at all...he has to make the sounds himself using the analogue/fm wave generators and whatever else is available to him in the program.

Guaranteed he will have something totally original:D

Nick

M

mbiafb

Originally posted by vitaminman

Here's a mark of a good producer/programmer: give him ONLY a waveform editor, like Sound Forge or Cool Edit, and tell him to have a track done in a few hours. No sampling off discs, so external sounds at all...he has to make the sounds himself using the analogue/fm wave generators and whatever else is available to him in the program.

Guaranteed he will have something totally original:D

Nick

That's the mark of a fuckin genius. some of the best producers/ programmers in the biz can't generate a track just using wavforms. You will find more producers that do techno that will build tracks programming raw synthesized sounds than in hip hop. i dabble with that, but it's hard. It was gratifying to me finally being able to generate a kick using nothing but a sine wav and an editor.

Honestly, if your goal is to sound like your favorite producers, get an MPC, Triton and several other commonly used equipment. If you are looking to break new ground and form the next sound, get what feels most comfortable to you and work with it. You may find, like a lot of people , that an MPC IS what you feel at home with. i think we all can agree that equipment don't mean shit if you don't have skills.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

That's what I'm talking about! Make your own sounds from scratch! mbiafb, that's awesome that you learned how to make a kick drum with a sine wave and envelope. If you get more creative, you can do stuff like generate white noise, filter it, shape it and make snares and hats too...this will sound so 80's it's not even funny.

In Cool Edit there's a function called Music which allows you to make a selection of a sound, create a small sequence of notes on a music scale, and apply the music to the sound that you selected...it's great for making little lead riffs. You should try playing with the FM synth in Sound Forge, the presets are pretty mindblowing.

Nick

M

mbiafb

i have played with the FM thing. i found a lot of drum and bass producers use it to make bass sounds. I made a bass that is pretty much unusable unless you have a serious subwoofer.

i never learned to use that Music function in Cooledit. It sounded like a good idea but since having three editors loaded on my compouter was a waste of space, i never got around to working with it.