What kind of producer are you?

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Ive noticed that many producers have different styles of producing hiphop beats...

If I had to classify them, it would go something like this...

1. "Old school style hiphop" - Producers that use the new sounds combined with old school flavor and techniques. A modern day song with an old school feel to it.

2. "Modern style hiphop" - Producers that use new sounds with todays flavor. Basically beats that are made for today. The "now" sounds and techniques.

3. "Future style hiphop" - Producers that use futuristic sounds with futuristic techniques. When i say futuristic, I dont mean Sci-Fi'ish sounds, I mean "different" sounds, sounds that you made up by layering, flipping or however, nothing that is popular now but you feel like its good.

4. "Variating style producer" - Producer that doesnt really fall into any of these categories, in general, you make a little of everything.

What kind of producer would you say that you are?

Also, let me know if you have a signature sound, could your song be spotted or noticed without knowing if its yours or not.

-dac-

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
I would say that I'm a variating producer, because I get bored easy and I like alot of different types of hip hop. I can get down with mainstream, to underground to you name it. Good music is good music. As far as a signature, I don't think I've developed that yet....I've not been producing for very long, so maybe it will come with time.

manguino

Pressure Makes Diamonds
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
Still too new to know what I am, but I have to say the future sounding producers that are sample based with synths going on definitely get my attention. As far as signatures, I hate having my bass notes on 1, 2, 3, 4, so I tend to keep them on the &'s and sometimes play them as triplets, but like Vice said, I'm still too new to develop anything yet.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I leave that to the listener. I won't be box'd in like that. What ever I'm feeling at the time unless I'm working on a specific project for a specific artist, is what you get.

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
I'm definitely an old school style producer. I like to make beats that have a very melodic and chill sound to them. Sort of like the mellow mid 90s east coast sound. I love old school hip hop, its definitely my kind of flava. My biggest influences are Pete Rock and 5th Sequence (producer from this forum).

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
I'm definitely an old school style producer. I like to make beats that have a very melodic and chill sound to them. Sort of like the mellow mid 90s east coast sound. I love old school hip hop, its definitely my kind of flava. My biggest influences are Pete Rock and 5th Sequence (producer from this forum).

Could you imagine the beats and melodies that Pete has acheived? I bet he's got a sick collection that we've never heard.

-dac-

My sytle is "old school" also but with a jazzy feel, something that you expect from Premiere maybe.

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I like trying different stuff but it allways turns out having old skool flava. As far as signatures go I'm sure others do it to but I allways have a touch of delay on my hats and a nasty habit of picking bad snare sounds that ppl don't usually like lol. I'm still too new tho to really stand alone in any aspect of beatmaking.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
me defo the ultimate contradition, old SKOOL future style producer, i.e i use breaks and big bass, but with an electronica touch

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
Could you imagine the beats and melodies that Pete has acheived? I bet he's got a sick collection that we've never heard.

-dac-

My sytle is "old school" also but with a jazzy feel, something that you expect from Premiere maybe.

No doubt dude, Pete Rock is my all time favorite producer. He probably has hundreds of unused beats that could turn into instant classics. 99% of what he drops is amazing, (the only exceptions are a few songs off Soul Survivor II). I'd love to see the amount of records he owns. It would probably look like a record store haha.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
No doubt dude, Pete Rock is my all time favorite producer. He probably has hundreds of unused beats that could turn into instant classics. 99% of what he drops is amazing, (the only exceptions are a few songs off Soul Survivor II). I'd love to see the amount of records he owns. It would probably look like a record store haha.

No doubt, Pete is the man for real. I actually got to sit in on a jam session with him, Guru and Red Alert back in the day. Ish was crazy!

-dac-

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Like others said Pete Rock & Premo are my favorite producers, so when i started I was drawn to that style, that Boom Bap, So i guess im Old School but i also play with other sounds depending on my mood

members online