What is your greatest asset in making your music?

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
CHOP MANIPULATION!!! disguisin the sample is what i love to do. i love doin beat battles and build the trk right on the spot. i used to be a drummer, so i can get my drums tight, i feel. i wish i knew how to play the piano. then i would be unstoppable. but i do play a lil guitar.

da relic

Nuff B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i think my greatest asset is my drums and ear for melody... i need to work on my final mix u know that quality room effect. my levels are usually good but the way the instruments set dont sound pro... holla

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
My greatest aspects are patience and resourcefullness. if i hadnt spent 4 years being a whack ass noob at FL (i've been using FL for 7 years now), i wouldnt know the ins and outs so thoroughly to get my thoughts turned into music as quickly as possible.

As far as bein resourceful, i'll get an idea in my head an then let loose on any and all techniques/effect combinations i can think of to get the sound i want. all the experimentation has given me good hands on experience into knowing what does what exactly an then how to use that later on.

Even though i sucked, i stuck through it all. I didnt even know about internet forums to get help either lol, I just knew that there was this potential buried inside an i was determined to pull it out.

Weaknesses would be loudness and mastering. i seem to lean towards liking my stuff sound louder,. As far as mastering, i still get uneven sounding mixes when i reference in the car. eh.

adomav17

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
My greatest asset is love for the music...

my weakness right now is not so much findin inspiration, but findin new ideas for making beats... for some reason i've went thru a block.. the only time i've made a beat lately, i've either had a sample or an acapella to help me get ideas... but i haven't made anyting composed in a minute

BeatAssassin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
It got to be the sound choices and drum. They gotta bang. Make those snares sound like gun shots. That bass got to make ya chest hurt. Those I hats got to have that sizzle. The music sounds got to be mis well. Radio Quality

stormelements

Beats That Knock
ill o.g.
Opera Populare said:
i think sound choice and arrangement for me cuz a dope ass sample can turn to b shitty overall wit out good arrangement and sounds i wanna learn mixing got a couple books on it but it doesnt matter unless i can b in a studio i was goin crazy tryna mix in cool edit

I agree sound choice and arrangement is key. It's like your Signature!

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Great thread.
I see this started back in 05, still valid today.

I gotta say my main strength is from DJing for 15 years, you know what kind of beats get people psyched, make em move, what works. I got nice chops for tapping beats, scratching, grabbing samples off of old vinyl and chopping it up, etc...

The weakness is multi-faceted. Musically I have trouble going from a hot loop to a full and interesting arrangement. Getting the mix sounding as tight as commercial product also causes me some trouble. The main issue however is being a parent, holding down a day job, and making sure everyone is taken care of. Past two months seen me and my girl having some problems, family visting from overseas for a week, and now a fucked up landlady telling us we're out when our lease is up at the end of January (she can make a lot more from the Brooklyn yuppy invaders). So yeah, some peace and stabillity would be the most desired tool in my battlechest right now...

FSC

Royal Souf Productions
ill o.g.
Mine would be my ear and the ability to play a bunch of different instruments.

New Dynasty

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Creativity. I've only used two samples throughout my "career" the rest has just been pure musical creativity. Whether its humming a tune, remixing a commercial tune or whatever, I think my greatest asset is purely the mind. N.U.D. said "...perserverence" ( pardon my spelling), but yea, that have a lot to do with it also.

MastaMariucci

ill o.g.
other than my brain, my ears, and my computer, which all have been said already, my biggest asset to makin music is my neck. i mean i can bob that sucker all night long!!! but seriously, it doess help me with my drums as i can punch em in when my head's down, up, at half-beat, at quarter-beat, you name it and i bob it. its a really good asset.

O

open mind

strength: passion.
weakness: cant play an instrument (iam takin piano lessons soon hehe!).