What genres apart from hip hop do you produce?

I thought Id ask as I cant be the only one that dabbles in a few genres.

Personally I do hip hop and rnb as standard, my next favourite genre is drum n bass, I also dabble in a little house and edm, and finally I do a little dancehall and reggae.

What about you guys, what genres do you produce and what other genres other that hip hop give you inspiration.

Very interesting thread.

Currently I mainly do trap but I also sing and write my own songs and it is usually stuff like One Republic, James Blunt, Maroon 5, Ed Sheeran etc. Generally speaking, radio music. :D Maybe at some point I will start performing with my own stuff. Apart from that I play the guitar, however, it is now very rare comparing to the amount of time I used to spend on it back in a day (for example 5 years ago).

I used to make metal (2010-2015) and I think I would still be able to do it if I could spend more time on guitar playing, however, it's not my priority now and another thing is the fact that I rarely listen to metal or even rock today.

When it comes to genres that inspire me it's hard to choose one. However, I think that at the moment I'm mostly inspired by various genres of electronic music, trailer music, pop-rock and singer-songwriter type of music. :)

@Memento Beats I couldnt imagine you as a rocker, especially not metal, you surprise me, and a singer too. Multi talented. EDM is really growing on me too and influences a lot of my music. Hard gritty synths are the future hahaha
I think if you can produce to a high standard, and you can, then there could really be a future in singer/songwriting. Even if its writing for others, if you write the lyrics and make the music it doesnt matter who has to put the work in going around singing it, you get paid. I think you have a bright future ahead.

I know you are into guitar @Memento Beats which is way i expected to see you in the latest beat this, what happened?

I don't have an electric guitar now. :( I only have an electro acoustic guitar. I really wanted to take part in it but you know as a guitarist I have some kind of block inside my head that prevents me from sampling it or imitating it with vsts :p It's like a professional pianist usually can't stand a sound of some vsts or synthesisers with piano (I know such cases :D ). So it was the main reason why I didn't take part in it. I also have to admit I haven't made a sampled beat since October last year so my sampling skill got a bit rusty. The other thing is the fact that I don't want to use samples at least for now. It's very limiting to me and something about it just doesn't feel right to me. I feel as if I was only remixing someone's work and I'm not interested in that. I like listening to sampled beats and I have nothing against the fact that someone else does it but I don't like doing it. I'm really focused on creating original things now.

Basically, I used to have a very decent guitar when I was strongly into metal but in 2017 I had to move to a different city for work purposes and I needed money in order to rent a room. I didn't have enough money to do it so I had to sell something and the most valuable thing I had at that time was my electric guitar which was Schecter Damien Elite 6 like this one:

1587933694465.png

I loved that guitar but I had no other choice than to sell it. Generally speaking, 2017 was a very hard year for me. Especially the second half of it. I had lived in that city I mentioned above for about eight months and then I decided to quit the job and come back to my hometown as the company which I was working for basically didn't treat its employees in the right way. Due to the fact that I didn't have an instrument my skill dropped. It wasn't as sharp as it used to be. When I came back to my hometown I came back to practicing on my classical guitar but I just didn't feel it. I didn't know what happened but at some point I got burned out with a guitar. I think that the breaking point was the year 2015. In that year I got interested in making beats and I started making them in 2016. It was something new to me and it allowed me to create a full song without the need to record some instrument etc. Basically, all I needed was my laptop, headphones and I was good to go. I had a track ready within a few hours/ maybe days. It was not as simple on the guitar because firstly, I needed to practice a lot in order to maintain my technique in good condition (even one day of break affected it) and secondly, it's not so easy to record a guitar. I didn't have an interface at that time yet so I would have had to look for a studio and I neither wanted it nor had money to afford it.

And that's the reason @crosstevsky. I used to be a guy who really could play very complicated things in terms of technique but I neglected it due to the fact that I had to sell my instrument and something happened to my attitude towards guitar playing. And I said I didn't want to sample guitar.

@Memento Beats I couldnt imagine you as a rocker, especially not metal, you surprise me, and a singer too. Multi talented. EDM is really growing on me too and influences a lot of my music. Hard gritty synths are the future hahaha
I think if you can produce to a high standard, and you can, then there could really be a future in singer/songwriting. Even if its writing for others, if you write the lyrics and make the music it doesnt matter who has to put the work in going around singing it, you get paid. I think you have a bright future ahead.

:D I used to have long hair when I was a teenager. I cut them in 2012 and I would never want to come back to it. :p I'm happy with short haircut and this quarantine time doesn't really help because all the hairdressers are shut down :D But if they get opened I will be the first in the queue to them. :D

Thank you very much. When it comes to singing, I have a broad vocal range but I have a long way to go when it comes to vocal technique. I would say that singing is the area of music in which I am the least experienced. Also I tend to hear that I have quite unusual sound of my voice when I sing. I mean people either like it a lot or detest it XDDDDD. There are no neutral opinions hahahah. :D Either you buy it or leave it. Nevertheless, it is also another thing that I like doing. I write lyrics to my songs but I don't know whether they are good or not. If you want then maybe I will record some of my stuff and send it to you and you will rate it. :D

Also when it comes to other things I plan to do with my voice is to go to the workshops for lectors. I would really want to learn how to speak in a way that you sound like a speaker in a radio or a person who reads audiobooks. :D Sometimes I manage to do it when I record ILL Battle Report but I just do it in an amateur way. When I was working in a contact center for one of Polish major electricity providers I used to hear from the customers (especially women) "Your voice sounds as if you worked in a radio" :p.

So yeah, I have a lot of interests and talents :D

Last edited:

crosstevsky

beats architect
Battle Points: 127
I don't have an electric guitar now. :( I only have an electro acoustic guitar. I really wanted to take part in it but you know as a guitarist I have some kind of block inside my head that prevents me from sampling it or imitating it with vsts :p It's like a professional pianist usually can't stand a sound of some vsts or synthesisers with piano (I know such cases :D ). So it was the main reason why I didn't take part in it. I also have to admit I haven't made a sampled beat since October last year so my sampling skill got a bit rusty. The other thing is the fact that I don't want to use samples at least for now. It's very limiting to me and something about it just doesn't feel right to me. I feel as if I was only remixing someone's work and I'm not interested in that. I like listening to sampled beats and I have nothing against the fact that someone else does it but I don't like doing it. I'm really focused on creating original things now.

Basically, I used to have a very decent guitar when I was strongly into metal but in 2017 I had to move to a different city for work purposes and I needed money in order to rent a room. I didn't have enough money to do it so I had to sell something and the most valuable thing I had at that time was my electric guitar which was Schecter Damien Elite 6 like this one:

View attachment 5346

I loved that guitar but I had no other choice than to sell it. Generally speaking, 2017 was a very hard year for me. Especially the second half of it. I had lived in that city I mentioned above for about eight months and then I decided to quit the job and come back to my hometown as the company which I was working for basically didn't treat its employees in the right way. Due to the fact that I didn't have an instrument my skill dropped. It wasn't as sharp as it used to be. When I came back to my hometown I came back to practicing on my classical guitar but I just didn't feel it. I didn't know what happened but at some point I got burned out with a guitar. I think that the breaking point was the year 2015. In that year I got interested in making beats and I started making them in 2016. It was something new to me and it allowed me to create a full song without the need to record some instrument etc. Basically, all I needed was my laptop, headphones and I was good to go. I had a track ready within a few hours/ maybe days. It was not as simple on the guitar because firstly, I needed to practice a lot in order to maintain my technique in good condition (even one day of break affected it) and secondly, it's not so easy to record a guitar. I didn't have an interface at that time yet so I would have had to look for a studio and I neither wanted it nor had money to afford it.

And that's the reason @crosstevsky. I used to be a guy who really could play very complicated things in terms of technique but I neglected it due to the fact that I had to sell my instrument and something happened to my attitude towards guitar playing. And I said I didn't want to sample guitar.
Wow, thank you for your thorough explanation. I'm sorry to hear about your guitar that you had to sell. Also i understand the part about recreating it with vsts...I don't like recreating acoustic drums myself. I think you should at least maintain your skill level on guitar... don't quit on that.

Also i paid attention closely to your beats recently, and i can tell that are influenced by your guitar playing(all the arppegiated chords and stuff like that)

Very nice observation my friend :D For example "Southpaw" that I used in the Beat This! on 26 March was invented on the guitar. I was practicing sweep arpeggios and I came up with the melody I used in drop. :D

I thought Id ask as I cant be the only one that dabbles in a few genres.

Personally I do hip hop and rnb as standard, my next favourite genre is drum n bass, I also dabble in a little house and edm, and finally I do a little dancehall and reggae.

What about you guys, what genres do you produce and what other genres other that hip hop give you inspiration.
Everything literally. From pop to edm to billie eilish (yes, that's a genre) to trap to classical to Orchestral to fight club (again, yes) to modern talking to RnB to Latin to some weird shit that has no genre and ...

Very interesting thread.

Currently I mainly do trap but I also sing and write my own songs and it is usually stuff like One Republic, James Blunt, Maroon 5, Ed Sheeran etc. Generally speaking, radio music. :D Maybe at some point I will start performing with my own stuff. Apart from that I play the guitar, however, it is now very rare comparing to the amount of time I used to spend on it back in a day (for example 5 years ago).

I used to make metal (2010-2015) and I think I would still be able to do it if I could spend more time on guitar playing, however, it's not my priority now and another thing is the fact that I rarely listen to metal or even rock today.

When it comes to genres that inspire me it's hard to choose one. However, I think that at the moment I'm mostly inspired by various genres of electronic music, trailer music, pop-rock and singer-songwriter type of music. :)
Man, as I said before, You are Pretty talented in music. you don't know how certain I am in that. I'm pretty sure if you release your own songs with good publishing you Will be successful. and please never give up on music. there's nothing sadder in life than wasted talent.

Everything literally. From pop to edm to billie eilish (yes, that's a genre) to trap to classical to Orchestral to fight club (again, yes) to modern talking to RnB to Latin to some weird shit that has no genre and ...
I used to be very closed minded In my teens and early 20's to anything that wasnt an underground genre.
If it wasnt hip hop, drum n bass, or uk garage I wasnt interested.
It was only after I joined here that I really started to appreciate old music from the 60's onwards, as I had to dig for samples I really started to get an appreciation that samples can come from absolutely anywhere, regardless of genre, even Moldovan Folk music is fair game for a sample.
The more other genres I opened myself up to then the more rounded a producer I have become, its given me flexibility, and attempting to make those other genres I had picked up new techniques.

A lot of things are universal regardless of genre, I have found same with DAW's for that matter.

Last edited:

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
I don't have an electric guitar now. :( I only have an electro acoustic guitar. I really wanted to take part in it but you know as a guitarist I have some kind of block inside my head that prevents me from sampling it or imitating it with vsts

I also play guitar and was left with an acoustic one for this. Not even Electro-acoustic . So I recorded it with an SM7B mic and distorted it with a plugin... I think it turned out ok. I was thinkin' if Keif can do it why can't I.

As far as the type of music I "produce" I started with hip-hop maybe in 2000 and did it for about 10 years. I learned guitar in 2007 and when I could play it well (2012 maybe) I started songwriting folk-rock/blues songs up until now. And I'm still struggling between bands and projects to put together something. I came back to beatmaking only recently.

Went from shredding the guitar to shredding the synths hahahaha
True story bro :D

Man, as I said before, You are Pretty talented in music. you don't know how certain I am in that. I'm pretty sure if you release your own songs with good publishing you Will be successful. and please never give up on music. there's nothing sadder in life than wasted talent.

Thank you. :) That's a very kind of you.

I also play guitar and was left with an acoustic one for this. Not even Electro-acoustic . So I recorded it with an SM7B mic and distorted it with a plugin... I think it turned out ok. I was thinkin' if Keif can do it why can't I.

Hmmmm, I will have to try it. :D