What do you usually mix with?

What do you usually mix with? Rather, what should you mix with?

• Headphones (What kind?)

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Monitors (What kind?)

Votes: 16 59.3%

• Total voters
S

serious?

yahoooooooooo
i'm First
i trust my Sony MDR-V150 headphones (it's all i got, it's all i need)
my ears is my best guide

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I mix in headphones (sony mdr 7506's) because of where i live unfortunately , and have been doing it for awhile and yes i know better but my Event 20/20 's do me no just but where I used to live I could turn the volume all the way up .....anyhow my mixes will be better now or at least better than headphones...I invested a pair of those really good m audio DX-4's with no sub , i think they are great and they are so small,but I can mix at a much lower volume at least hear it pretty close to how all the instruments should be sitting, then when I am ready to use the track I can take it to the studio I work out of...some people can mix in them but one of the biggest issues is going deaf..or not mixing the levels right for mids etc...and then a big deal tuning...something can sound in tune in a pair of headphones especially bass and then you listen in monitors its completely off LOL

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
^ Dude you gotta be kiddin me!!!! LOL I know you know that you should mix with monitors.
Gotta do what you gotta do tho.
I use monitors I cant tell you off top what brand name cuz I dont look at them all the time,lol.
BUT they do me real well,(Prolly better than I do them).
For many reasons you should mix with monitors at generally low levels.
In brief it will sound good loud if it sounds good soft and you dont want to damage your hearing.
Hypno is gonna get on hear and will prolly write a page of helpful stuff on the pros and cons of both,
I have learned its better through speakers cuz headphones arent always the true sound.
Very true on the diff there D!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
How can you not know what monitors you using? And if you're clueless about that than you're probably using regular hi-fi ( with a dosis of make-up ). Proper headphones could perhaps improve your monitoring situation. In any case you use both monitoring threw the headpieces and monitors, just for you own sake. Doing low level monitoring only forces you to focus and listen to your mix, particulairly how the mix has been layed out and leveled. You turn up volume ( untill you hear static from your speakers ) to hear ticks etc. feel how wel you tweaked the eq in frequency ranges which you can feel or undergo more audible pressure.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i mix thru monitors (yamaha ns10s), but i wont hesitate to throw on my headphones (sony mdr 7506 also) if im not hearin what i wanna hear thru the monitors. ive heard a few people say u can get a good mix thru headphones, but i'll always use monitor 1st, unless they really suck. my sonys dont let me down though.

da relic

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Relic said:
^ Dude you gotta be kiddin me!!!! LOL I know you know that you should mix with monitors.
Gotta do what you gotta do tho.
I use monitors I cant tell you off top what brand name cuz I dont look at them all the time,lol.
BUT they do me real well,(Prolly better than I do them).
For many reasons you should mix with monitors at generally low levels.
In brief it will sound good loud if it sounds good soft and you dont want to damage your hearing.
Hypno is gonna get on hear and will prolly write a page of helpful stuff on the pros and cons of both,
I have learned its better through speakers cuz headphones arent always the true sound.
Very true on the diff there D!

I hear ya, my 20/20's are great but its sort of hard to mix at a low level in those monitors, they are FLAT response and uncolored so you are not getting all of the frequencies coming thru like if you had monitors that are colored...so thats why I got the m-audio's they are banging lil monitors and I regret i did not get them earlier, I used to have a set of Tannoys but I blew them out hahaha...

O

open mind

creating beat and RAW mixing into Headphone.
Final MIX with the Monitors.

BeatAssassin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I use M-Audio SP5-B. There great and I mix at low level because my left ear is partial damage from a accident I had. I can't really use Headphone, normally I just place them on my right ear.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
u guys mixin on headphones r crazy ... well i guess its all about what you are used too.... i say monitors at low to moderate volume levels ... only time is use headphones is to do some delicate panning , or when im checkin for distortion.. and when im spittin in the booth

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Ash Holmz said:
u guys mixin on headphones r crazy ... well i guess its all about what you are used too.... i say monitors at low to moderate volume levels ... only time is use headphones is to do some delicate panning , or when im checkin for distortion.. and when im spittin in the booth

i agree, I mix with low volumes thru my monitor joints. I used to use my sony headphones which are monitor phones, but moniotr speakers are the way to mix....dependin on circumstance of course,,,

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Formant024 said:
How can you not know what monitors you using? And if you're clueless about that than you're probably using regular hi-fi ( with a dosis of make-up ). Proper headphones could perhaps improve your monitoring situation. In any case you use both monitoring threw the headpieces and monitors, just for you own sake. Doing low level monitoring only forces you to focus and listen to your mix, particulairly how the mix has been layed out and leveled. You turn up volume ( untill you hear static from your speakers ) to hear ticks etc. feel how wel you tweaked the eq in frequency ranges which you can feel or undergo more audible pressure.
`Well capt. friendly` they happen to be haflers if it means that much to you.
I RESPECT THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE AN IMPRESSIVE STUDIO OF YOUR OWN AND RESPECT ALOT OF YOUR POSTS AND ADVICE HERE BUT:
I sir am not going to be your next MikeLabz. In fact I doubt you will get a further response from me than this.
The reason that I couldnt recall the name of them is because I was at work, are you aware of that concept?
Additionally I do not STARE at my monitors while mixing like:
"OH Haflers,,oh such beautiful Haflers..You sound SO good Haflers, I dont need to tweak anything with YOU Haflers...."
IF you REALLY wanted to know so bad you could have gone and looked at the thread that has
everybodies gear on it. Thats called "Research". Somthing Ive done by looking at your earlier posts.
I find you to be confrontational with other members, not all the time but occasionally.
I ignore people that say things that irritate me up till now.
What prupose good or bad does it serve to call me clueless???
Really, what point does that serve? How does that help this thread??
Does it make you feel superior? You appear to have a major studio...Why do you need to be rude to me?
I joined Ill to learn and I like the community here.
Again I dont care how bad you go off from this point I say find somthing better to do with your time.
There have been many threads closed because of this crap and more people kicked off as of a result of dumb crap like that.
I am NOT gettin kicked out for you. The only further response you will get from me will be through a mod.
I wasnt attacking BigD by the way I just know that he is knowledgable about all forms of this artform and was buggin with him on the monitor situation.
Believe me I want to say more but thats it, you need to smoke that Avatar of yours and chill...Seriously.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I don't see any reason for this thread to go sour, let's all get back on topic without any attitude and we'll be ok. (That sounds gay doesn't it?).

Nuff B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
headphones: i use the sennhieser joints i like mixing with these because i can feel that bass and i started with em timberland does it why cant i

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Relic said:
`Well capt. friendly` they happen to be haflers if it means that much to you.
I RESPECT THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE AN IMPRESSIVE STUDIO OF YOUR OWN AND RESPECT ALOT OF YOUR POSTS AND ADVICE HERE BUT:
I sir am not going to be your next MikeLabz. In fact I doubt you will get a further response from me than this.
The reason that I couldnt recall the name of them is because I was at work, are you aware of that concept?
Additionally I do not STARE at my monitors while mixing like:
"OH Haflers,,oh such beautiful Haflers..You sound SO good Haflers, I dont need to tweak anything with YOU Haflers...."
IF you REALLY wanted to know so bad you could have gone and looked at the thread that has
everybodies gear on it. Thats called "Research". Somthing Ive done by looking at your earlier posts.
I find you to be confrontational with other members, not all the time but occasionally.
I ignore people that say things that irritate me up till now.
What prupose good or bad does it serve to call me clueless???
Really, what point does that serve? How does that help this thread??
Does it make you feel superior? You appear to have a major studio...Why do you need to be rude to me?
I joined Ill to learn and I like the community here.
Again I dont care how bad you go off from this point I say find somthing better to do with your time.
There have been many threads closed because of this crap and more people kicked off as of a result of dumb crap like that.
I am NOT gettin kicked out for you. The only further response you will get from me will be through a mod.
I wasnt attacking BigD by the way I just know that he is knowledgable about all forms of this artform and was buggin with him on the monitor situation.
Believe me I want to say more but thats it, you need to smoke that Avatar of yours and chill...Seriously.

Seriously, pm this next time... and in no conditions am I to call anyone mikelabz but the dude himself ( he is one of a kind I guess ). I smoke plenty and for that reason alone im not attacking anyone but I do put a point across if and when I notice a basic principle on topic is false or perhaps badly interpreted. That topic isnt biased at "my" studio but aimed at all kinds of setups, perhaps i you knew more of my background you would not have made that remark. For sake of fade gaining rsi back on topic (and pm next time).