What do you use for mastering your tracks?

Klangboks

ill o.g.
Hi!
What do you prefer when (and if) you use third-party plugins for mastering? I use Cubase for music-production, but don't think the included limiter does a proper job.
Does any of you have some advice about what I should by? I've tried demo-versions of T-racks 3 Deluxe and Izotope Ozone. I prefered the T-racks, it gave the most "character". And also made the tracks really loud :)

So please, if you have experience with other plugs, can you post a mini-review?
Thanks!

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Mastering is such a different skill set that you REALLY need to pay someone else to do it. I have been a mix engineer for over ten years and I just mastered my first album. I think it turned out great. I used Presonus studio one to set up the projects, and the Sonnox oxford EQ followed by the PSP VintageWarmer2, then the SSL G Series EQ292 from waves and finally Voxengo Elephant. I used these on each track and spent easily a few hours per song on mastering. I also used lots of the techniques from this video http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPPTMaster/

Mitch is brilliant and really does a good job breaking it down. You can hear the album I mastered here. http://drunkpedestrians.bandcamp.com/album/i-am-the-soundtrack

But if I had not been mixing for years and have a very nice speaker system, there is no way I would have even tried to master this myself. I have paid someone to master my projects for years.

Klangboks

ill o.g.
thedreampolice: I totally agree that mastering an album should be left to professionals. However, I enjoy trying to master my own tracks (even though I'm not very good at it). And I don't have a record deal or anything that will make it worthwhile to pay someone else :). As long as I can get my songs out there with decent quality I'm more than happy.
BTW; good job with the album you mastered, sounds really decent, good production. And thanks for the tip on the tutorial-video.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
They must have secretly hid the link, cause I don't see a video or a video link on that page.

*Yeah, Mos Def throwing down*

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I have two videos on mastering with Waves Mercury. Compliments to my recently expired Groove3 membership :(

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
LMAO! C'mon you gotta admit it looks like some software. The way I see it, he needs to watch my video on mastering...hahaha.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Harbal is what I use , its a stand alone software and you can say what you want about it , but it rocks like a mofo when used properly.
It will definitely make heads turn and take notice, one of the cooler features in it is the "match loudness" feature that makes your tracks that full radio ready sound without compromising clarity.
It literally "Harmonically Balances" your tracks, I have had beats played at live venues quite loudly and always the people loved the sound.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.

members online