what do y'all know about the SP 1200

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Whatup Illmuzik peoples!

This looks like a cool site and forum. I'm from Sydney, Australia and have been listening to hip-hop since I was about 10 when my Mum bought me Run DMC's "Raising Hell" (God bless her!).

Anyway I'm just starting making beats and have a question that may seem silly but I'm learning yo! Thanks for any help.

My questions are;
1. What is a SP-1200 and why is it so popular?
2. How much is one of these babies?
3. Is it necessary to have one of these as a producer or are their better alternatives?

Thanks y'all.

goldeneye outlaw

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Welcome to the site.

The SP-1200 is a sequencer/sampler that was developed way back in the 80s. The company stopped making them, even though they sold a lot because it has that "hip-hop" sound. They re-issued it in the 90s, but then they stopped it again. Now, if you're looking to buy an SP, you'll have to buy it used from someone and look to spend lots of dough (roughly $1800 U.S. is what I've seen).

It's a great machine because of its 12-bit sound. I've never used one, but the sounds that come out of it sound lo-fi and crunchy, perfect for hip-hop.

You don't need one to produce beats, but it would nice if you did. There's so many alternatives, but none of them will sound the same as the SP. If you're just looking for a sequencer/sampler, there's the MPC2000 or you can just use your computer to do everything. It all depends on what you want to do and how much money you have to play with.

members online