What dictates sampling?

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
People say "yeah I did this beat without samples" But the beat has guitar and violins in it....Now MY thing is....Did you play those instruments, or did you take those from your sound library and put them into your track?

To me that's no different than taking a part of a song and using it....

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
True but you wouldnt get credit for sampling tho. Its funny cause every ones drums are sampled, even some synths are samples but you wont be called a sampler

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Agreed, but if you chop out individual instruments off of a song, is that sampling (considering no one can decipher where it came from)?

hanayalator

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 11
Ya technically sampling is anything that capturues a live instrument and then reproduces it (the only thing that isn't sampling would be synthetic creation of sound, like using fm synthesis etc.). However, sampling as it's used generally means using a part of a released song.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
I think its the "flipping" that constitutes sampling today. In order to "Sample" you have to "Chop" and "Flip it". Actual sampling is irrelevant untill its illegal lol.

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 215
Yo...if the sound you are using to construct a beat came from any where else besides your DAW library....you sampling...if you use "one shot stabs" from CD sound libraries you sampling. Only time one is not sampling is when one takes an "instrument sound(guitar, piano,cymbal,etc.)" and create a melody out of it.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
People say "yeah I did this beat without samples" But the beat has guitar and violins in it....Now MY thing is....Did you play those instruments, or did you take those from your sound library and put them into your track?

1. A "sample" is just that...something sampled, a part of, or takened from...

2. A played note from an instrument or whatever is not a "sample", it's a composed note.

3. There are generaly 2 kinds of "samples"...

a. Samples that are royalty free and can be used and copyrighted as your own.

b. Samples that are NOT royalty free...

So if a person says "yeah I did this beat without samples", technically they are saying they played every note which makes the beat "composed".

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
So DJ Premier composes? if he takes a C sharp violin sound off of a song is the same as a C sharp violin sound off of a soundbank?

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Since I know that you know the difference between Sampled and Composed, is there a certain answer that you are looking for? lol or do I need to just shut up?

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
sounds like hairsplitting to me. i think we agree that "flipping" is the term in question.
1. flipping has a momentum of composing to it (if it's not an "accidental" flip). 2. every recorded and reproduced sound is a sample 3. you can use sampled sounds and compose a melody from them 4. i, too, like bacon.

You can compose with samples just as easily as composing with patches/instruments.
I think it used to be considered about 2 secs before it was classed as a sample, or if it is recognisable and gains success from sounding like the original then that is considered sampling. How much of the original goes into making the new beat decides how much it will cost to clear. Taking individual notes and recomposing it is considered composing as just one note has been used and no identifiable melody has been used.
Its always been a sticky subject, with trials setting precidents, that then get taken as law. You can sample recordings over 50 years old, pretty safely, unless the artist is still alive and holding the rights.

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 215
So DJ Premier composes? if he takes a C sharp violin sound off of a song is the same as a C sharp violin sound off of a soundbank?
He might have sampled the sound...but he created the melody...who the hell can charge or sue a person for a C sharp violin note or sound. The people that made Reason sampled the sounds that I use...I just create a melody out of it( on my midi). Now if one sampled my whole melody, flipt it, chop'd it....then you might have some problems.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Everybody is pretty much saying the same thing but making it more and more complexed. The definition is very simple if you keep it to the original source of the sound. Either its a sampled sound or a composed sound. Yeah you can take a sample and compose a song, you can also make a mountain out of a mole hill...lol. But look at what Sucio is saying...

If they are knowledgeable and speaking correctly when they say "yeah I did this beat without samples"...that means they played every note!

If they used a chopped sample from a song or royalty free samples and composed the entire beat, then they used samples which would make their original statement incorrect.

My question is what freakin difference does it make?...lol.
It's simple.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
If they are knowledgeable...

This is VERY key

It's simple.

Standardizing knowledge, reaching a general understanding. I think its healthy. music has so many cryptic phrases and words that mean so many different things lol

Everybody is pretty much saying the same thing but making it more and more complexed. The definition is very simple if you keep it to the original source of the sound. Either its a sampled sound or a composed sound. Yeah you can take a sample and compose a song, you can also make a mountain out of a mole hill...lol. But look at what Sucio is saying...

If they are knowledgeable and speaking correctly when they say "yeah I did this beat without samples"...that means they played every note!

If they used a chopped sample from a song or royalty free samples and composed the entire beat, then they used samples which would make their original statement incorrect.

It's simple.

If I use any chops from a song I consider it a sampled track, even if most of the track is composed, I only call it a composed track if its made up entirely from instrument patches on reason. And drums are always sampled, using a loop is considered sampling, while using just the individual hits and layering them is composing.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
So 50 years from now no matter what you sample from today till the last 50 will be free and sound pretty damn good..
However I think it will take a turn that renders that "almost" irrelevent.

The original post was obviously posed whilst hitting some good shit, so answer as deeply.

members online