What Controller?

maverick

Battle Points: 1
Hey all, this is my first post and was wondering what controller would be good for creating a sound similar to The Weeknd, Banks, SOHN, Rhye...

I have checked out youtube but, most videos are for EDM music.

I have been looking into Abelton Push but, was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative that can give me the same/similar results.

Thank you.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It doesn't matter what style of music you're going for, any controller will do because it's how you use it. Some guys make beats with just a shitty computer and FL Studio.

For a controller, there's many out there. I'm actually working on a section here that will give a rundown of each, but until I complete that, there's:
  • Maschine (what I use)
  • MPC Renaissance
  • Akai MPD
  • MPC Element and MPC Studio
  • or just a keyboard controller and software like FL Studio or Reason

maverick

What would be some of
It doesn't matter what style of music you're going for, any controller will do because it's how you use it. Some guys make beats with just a shitty computer and FL Studio.

For a controller, there's many out there. I'm actually working on a section here that will give a rundown of each, but until I complete that, there's:
  • Maschine (what I use)
  • MPC Renaissance
  • Akai MPD
  • MPC Element and MPC Studio
  • or just a keyboard controller and software like FL Studio or Reason

Are there any particular ones that would let me take samples of multiple songs and change it up i.e distort, fade in/out, add effects? (In a lower price range perhaps an older gen. model.)

I messed with the Ableton Push a while a back and liked what I could do I just hated that I could not sample using the controller I had to use Live.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Ya definitely. With Maschine, for example, there's Mikro which is the smaller, cheaper version. The MPC studio and MPC element is small and cheap too. I'm not familiar with the MPC line but with Maschine, the software has tons of stuff to warp your sounds.

maverick

Thanks, I got a great deal on a Maschine MK2 only problem is it was missing the USB cable. Will any cable do or are there replacements?

OriginalNoGuru

Struggles of Dad - by OldBones - due Dec 2016
Thanks, I got a great deal on a Maschine MK2 only problem is it was missing the USB cable. Will any cable do or are there replacements?

I really hope you made sure the Maschine software has been de-registered and is good to go before you handed over the cash...

Maschine hardware is next to useless without the software... With the software it's pretty amazing (the brain of my setup).

I've got my fingers crossed for you Bro!!

maverick

I really hope you made sure the Maschine software has been de-registered and is good to go before you handed over the cash...

Maschine hardware is next to useless without the software... With the software it's pretty amazing (the brain of my setup).

I've got my fingers crossed for you Bro!!

Thanks man, this package was actually never registered. The guy I bought it from bought 2 for a tour but, ended up only using one so he sold it to me for $250.

PhDBeats

Dr. Boom Bap
I am a Maschine Mikro MK2 user and it is absolutely amazing. The workflow is super easy for the beginner and it comes packed with features. If you are cool with using a mouse, it works really well. If you would rather go knob heavy, go with the full size Maschine.

There are certain things that are better with knobs. Adding effects is one example.

members online