What Constitutes a Classic Album?

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Classic albums are determined by Impact, Timing, and Longevity. There are different types of "classics" too.

There are several albums that are classics that I get lots of arguments about for example Puff Daddy and the Family: No Way Out. Changed the game entirely and produced one of the top 20 hip hop singles of all time "All About the Benjamins".

Albums can also be classics when they set trends. Case in point, Illmatic (in my opinion) is a sonic masterpiece. Lyrically ahead of its time but its a classic album because its the 1st solo hip hop LP that used an All Star cast of producers, which of course is a trend you see today.

There are albums that are the crown jewel of an entire "movement" or dominant period of time for an artist. Diplomatic Immunity from the Dipset is an undeniable classic, though many argue that it isn't.
Nelly's Country Grammar is another classic album. Too many to name and so many ways to argue it, which is why we all love hip hop.

Yep I totally agree with this perspective...A lot of heads I know use "classic" as a synonym for "favorite" which is frustrating sometimes...

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Classic albums are determined by Impact, Timing, and Longevity. There are different types of "classics" too.

There are several albums that are classics that I get lots of arguments about for example Puff Daddy and the Family: No Way Out. Changed the game entirely and produced one of the top 20 hip hop singles of all time "All About the Benjamins".

Albums can also be classics when they set trends. Case in point, Illmatic (in my opinion) is a sonic masterpiece. Lyrically ahead of its time but its a classic album because its the 1st solo hip hop LP that used an All Star cast of producers, which of course is a trend you see today.

There are albums that are the crown jewel of an entire "movement" or dominant period of time for an artist. Diplomatic Immunity from the Dipset is an undeniable classic, though many argue that it isn't.
Nelly's Country Grammar is another classic album. Too many to name and so many ways to argue it, which is why we all love hip hop.

Good post. I think this is a more broad and encompassing definition

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304

That's exactly what I meant to say.. My english is limited.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Thanks to everyone for their opinions, Ive been trying to sort of.... standardize how someone can classify and argue the case for a album/project being classic outside of someone just liking it. I know its all opinion, but having a consensus or guidelines for clarifying always helps. I will post a list and credit all involved too

members online