Using Motif With FL

Da IllFellaz

Knee Deep In Da Beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 125
I use my motif and record straight into FL as audio, not midi. All the drums I use are from FL other than the ones ive sampled and chopped straight from the motif. But those are basically wav files so its basically FL drums.

As far as midi to control FL sounds, you can connect the motif thru midi but you cant use the motif sounds (which are straight CRACK sounds!!!!)

The way I do it, is i have my motif as well as a midi controller so I have the best of both, yadig?

nomezzzy

ill o.g.
I use my motif and record straight into FL as audio, not midi. All the drums I use are from FL other than the ones ive sampled and chopped straight from the motif. But those are basically wav files so its basically FL drums.

As far as midi to control FL sounds, you can connect the motif thru midi but you cant use the motif sounds (which are straight CRACK sounds!!!!)

The way I do it, is i have my motif as well as a midi controller so I have the best of both, yadig?

nomezzzy
Yea I see what u sayin but can u explain the process of how u do it....And if I record it as audio how would I get it to quantize cause I dont want to use vsts anymore to much CPU Power usage....Can u explain ur process please..?

Da IllFellaz

Knee Deep In Da Beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 125
I dont quantize anythin other than drums sometimes. I like the natural flow of the melodies. Sometimes a fuck up sounds hot!!!

I record into my FL using my MBOX with ASIO drivers. I jus turn the input on one of the mixer channels to the MBOX and on the bottom of the channel, i "arm" it.

I plug the outs (L/R) on my motif into my ins on the MBOX and you should hear the audio. You can even see the sounds in the db meter on the mixer channel.

Then, once i arm the channel and turn on the record button (which is next to the play/stop button), i hit the space bar, hear the metronome, n PLAY AWAY!!!!

easy as dat. its basically like sampling everything you play. to me i like it better than midi. however, midi does have its advantages.

Wizdom

Soul Collector
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I've wondered about this same thing. I have a Roland MC-307 that has some pretty good sounds in it and I wanted to see if FL 7 could control the sounds. I'm thinking that you should be able to program or record to the step sequencer while hearing the sounds of the Motif (or other Hardware) and then record to audio AFTER you're cool w/ the "score." Currently, I use it similar to how Da IllFellaz does above but a bit different (will discuss that in a sec).

It seems logical that FL could be the "Master" midi output (this is where I get real stupid but I think it's worth discussing if someone can help get this right). I'm traveling right now and not in my studio, but I'm thinking that maybe you could test this to see if it works. I'm looking at FL on my laptop and if you go to the Options - Midi Settings menu, you should see your Motif (may be called something different) in both the Output & Input fields if you have the midi in/out's hooked up correctly w/ your computer (do you have a midi man or something??).. Insert a Midi Out Channel in the step sequencer. I think you should be able to highlight the Motif in the Output section of the Midi settings and assign a Port # to it. Try opening up the midi out channel and assigning the same port # and see if you can control the Motif from w/in FL.

Now, if this works, and you have the sounds playing, you should be able to follow the steps that DaIllFellaz layed out except I would put Edison in a Mixer Track and record to that instead (Edison is a beast once you figure it out).

Let me know if this helps. I'm going to try it myself when I get home. peace

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
With midi you can go many ways:
Use FL to trigger sounds in the Motif
Use the Motif to trigger sounds in FL
Use the Midi Clock (tempo info) on the Motif and Slave FL at the same tempo
Use the Midi Clock (tempo info) on FL and have the Motif at the same tempo
It's your world, do whatever gets you the desired result in the least amount of time, whatever you're comfortable with...
PEACE!!!

kojo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
with the motif es rack (dunno about the original motif) you contol it using USB midi. it gets set to port 0. you then open a midi channel, select 0 and whatever midi channel and ur set. you can quantize and everything...

ill o.g.
with the motif es rack (dunno about the original motif) you contol it using USB midi. it gets set to port 0. you then open a midi channel, select 0 and whatever midi channel and ur set. you can quantize and everything...

OK so I would be good by goin with the es rack mount??? and use the midi out and set the port to 0 but can u explain ur process on how to do all that because yea I might gon head and doo that....

ill o.g.
I explained the process in my previous post. check it out
OO yea my bad man I see it now....Im gonna go with a motif es rack...because u can use it thru USB...and I might use cubase in stead of FL to sequence....

but If I get the rack mount how would I go about saving....Like I would make a beat sequence it out close FL how would I open up the project on the rack....