using loops and samples

kaivai

Reppin V.I.C
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
hey wats krakin everybody

just a question how many people here use their own music in their production compared to using pre packaged acid loops etc, im not knockin anyone that does but to me the dude that gets acid from his mate loads it up with loops and calls it "this is my song" is a bit of a cop out, do you consider this real music production???? i mean the basis of a hip hop track is taking samples from a record putting a fresh beat behind it and adding some mean vocals, personally im more proud of a track with my own music and my own beats because then i can truly call it my own

boneyboys

50 Million Year Trip
ill o.g.
I do use samples straight once in a while, but only if they're really quick, otherwise I find you can get better results with chopping up the samples to suit what you're trying to get at, so yeah just using loops is OK in my book, but it's a lot more rewarding if you put a bit of effort into making that sample perfect for you

kaivai

Reppin V.I.C
ill o.g.
boneyboys said:
I do use samples straight once in a while, but only if they're really quick, otherwise I find you can get better results with chopping up the samples to suit what you're trying to get at, so yeah just using loops is OK in my book, but it's a lot more rewarding if you put a bit of effort into making that sample perfect for you

tru dats a really good point you made there thanks alot you helped put it in perspective, even though when i saw that we had acid installed at my high school i took the chance to use it to my advantage and i checked out what other people had been doing and all i saw was straght loops all in a row creating dis shitty mish mash of ugly ass sound dats what pisses me off,

PrOLifiK

Wax Fondling Since 420
ill o.g.
Yeah no doubt I know some people who do that then there like yo look at this song I made, and its like yeah my lil brother could have cut and pasted that together lol. I usually chop up all of my own samples, but if I heard a sick loop on a disc i wouldnt hesitate to use it either. All of the sample discs I have heard are crappy and I didnt really even like.

A

ACEBEATZ

I dont use sample

kaivai said:
hey wats krakin everybody

just a question how many people here use their own music in their production compared to using pre packaged acid loops etc, im not knockin anyone that does but to me the dude that gets acid from his mate loads it up with loops and calls it "this is my song" is a bit of a cop out, do you consider this real music production???? i mean the basis of a hip hop track is taking samples from a record putting a fresh beat behind it and adding some mean vocals, personally im more proud of a track with my own music and my own beats because then i can truly call it my own

I prefer to build my song and compose with the piano and guitars and stuff. sampling beats is baby for me, but sometime it's good. IM SO TIRED OF THOSE SINGING FAST PITCH SAMPLE BEATS. C'mon guys you can do better.

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
i HAVE No RESPECT For ANYBoDY WHo SAMPLES A WHo LoOP oF A SAMPLE CD.THERES No WoRK THERES No FEELiNG oF DiSCoVERY, i MEAN HoW MANY oTHER PEoPLE HAVE THAT CD???

ill o.g.
I only used a whole loop once, it was a violin loop that i put over the chorus. And i got a loop cd once. I didnt use any loops straight. I cut 'em up before i even thought about usin them though.

def1nition

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I genarally don't sample the only reason I sample is if I like a sound on an album and it sounds good with effects over it sometimes you can take a sample and it sounds sick with effects over it. Also some keyboard sounds are too cheesy these are the only reasons I sample. Other than that I use keyboard sounds sample a sound and scale it or play something on drums have my brother play bass play guitar and sample it. I'm not knocking sampling but some people use it as a crutch they sample straight loops basslines evrything if you're chopping samples that's cool but sampling is restrictive you can only cut and flip something but so many ways and you're restricted to the sounds you have when you're playing something the sky's the limit. On the other hand though some people brag about not sampling but make some cheesy sounding keyboard beats it would probably be better if they just sampled.

mod1

ILLMUZIK Bell-Boy
ill o.g.
That's what I been trying to get across to some of the members on here Guevara.I have NO RESPECT FOR NOBODY who use loops.I do all of my own productions.I come up with all my loops and,everything.I don't sample loops.Holla

ill o.g.
No offense to nobody, but if you use a drum loop, unless its a classic one (nas-i can (impeach the president type shit)), i think thats kinda pointless. But a loop from an old record is kinda ok, as long as you switch it up enough. But using drum loops of a sample cd is kinda weak in my opinion.

DjDelay

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
mod1 said:
That's what I been trying to get across to some of the members on here Guevara.I have NO RESPECT FOR NOBODY who use loops.I do all of my own productions.I come up with all my loops and,everything.I don't sample loops.Holla

I think Guevara is talking more about digging for your own unique breaks, rather than sampling off a cd that was designed for sampling.

There ain't nothing wrong with sampling, just aslong as your creative with it. If it's a hot beat, then it's a hot beat. Why does it matter how you created it? This is what hip-hop music is

BTW - I also have "NO RESPECT FOR NOBODY" who has such narrow minded views on making hip-hop music

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
*Y_A_W_N*

more of the same... do you people know how to do searches for these topics? why does a new one pop up every week or so?

i have no respect for people who feel that everyone must make music accoridng to the rules they have set for themselves.

i have no respect for people who pride themselves by saying ALL THE TIME, "i do everything myself, i NEVER do this, and people who do are wack". i dont careif you took music generator and pasted a bunch of loops together... if it sounds good, it sounds good...

i dont care what you do. this has bee ndiscussed a million times. a million times. A MILLION TIMES.

EVERYTHING THAT HAS BEEN SAID IN THIS THREAD HAS BEEN SAID COUNTLESS TIMES IN OTHER THREADS.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS, DO YOU. DO WHAT YOU DO. PERIOD. LEAVE EVERYONE ELSE ALONE FOR NOT DOING THINGS YOUR WAY. WHO CARES. THE GOOD, THE TALENTED, THE REAL, WILL ALWAYS SEPERATE THEMSELVES FROM THE WACK, THE TALENTLESS, THE FAKE.... ON THEIR OWN.

you know the saying, {"dont hate the player, hate the game"?

well....

here is some perspective for you guys:

"HATE THE PRODUCT, NOT THE PROCESS"

if the end result sucks, well, hate on that all you want. dont sit there and bitch because they didnt do it in a way that satisfies your own rules.

spin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I am against using drum loops... to have sampled melodies or whatever i think its ok... but drum loops? come on now...

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
to beat a dead horse...

to take looped samples and to cut and paste them is being a composer--not neccesarilly a musician. the definition of "musician" is being broadened nowadays though.

me personally (not to argue or to put anyone else down):
i usually try not to sample to the point where you could put the original record on and recognize the sample. if possible i try to play the melody myself (whether it be guitar, keyboard, whatever).
99% of the time, i chop up loops before using them and make them my own.

if you dont do what i do, you are wack and you should stop making beats

just kidding--ill judge you when i hear what youve made

C

cley

This debate is pointless, i agree with cold truth.

"I have no respect for using loops." I never got that argument. Most of the time I think that those who say things like that are just trying to pump up their egos by braging about their musical ability. Not everyone grew up in a musical household, or even care to learn an instrument. Theory enriches one's musical experience yes, but "musical" expression isn't limited by it. Some of the dopest producers are sample based, so what's the problem? IS there a difference between a record and a cd collection? What if it is a super rare (or even custom, i.e. from a friend who plays the piano, for example) sample collection on cd? Or on the other hand a very common record? What then? What if someone wrote a great beat from loops on cd, would it be worse than someone rehashing an old crusty loop from vinyl that we've all heard several times? (i.e the bonus track on Badu's "worldwide underground" and the same beat on Biz's "weekend warrior". Both are the same sugarhill gang loop) Which is better?

who really cares?

Sample cds can open up a world of expression, it's all in how you approach it. using them exclusively is a no-no to ME, and the same goes for "cut and paste" hip hop, but if someone digs it that way, it's cool. I'll bet some great beats have come out this way. I have one sample cd collection and at times it can be absolutly essential to my production. If anyone wants a dope collection of drum hits, and other great snippits, check e-lab's "smokers delight" 3 cd collection. The only one I'll ever need and is one of the best $100 I've ever spent.

edited after a second read.

1d3nt1tY

Loop't N Blown
ill o.g.
I will say this once for the sake of helping out a fellow newbie to the forums... *cough cough*

I haven't used any samples at all yet, just sampled intruments played on a keyboard and the beat compo is done in fruity by point n clicking. This is not to say that I wouldn't if ever I found that I needed a sample from the old days, but it would MOS DEF be some shit nobody ever used before. I try and keep my shit ALL BRAND NEW.

kaivai

Reppin V.I.C
ill o.g.
whoa!!!!

sum of this has got a bit out of hand

1) im just askin a question cold truth dats all

so yea sum people dont wanna sample off a loop, big woop, good on them

and sum people wana sample off a loop cd etc etc good on them

but the guy who buyz acid with hundreds of loops cds and clicks and drags that shit and calls it "my beat" i have a problem with, where is the creativity, where is the talent, where is the passion for music, let me give you an example.

little dude comes to my school puts acid and loads up his loop cd's on the computer and begins to show off his "beats" i bring my copy of fruityloops to school and blast him off his chair plastic lil shit from then on i get a crew to produce for and put my beats on a demo cd (albeit not to my satisfaction) now this kid has the gall to rename my beats after i left to make it look like they are his own, oh no little plastic one, i told him to go stick his loop cds up his ass and cry home to daddy

sorry...c'mon he tried to rip off my beat!

FuriousMusic

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I don't think theres anything wrong with using samples. Alot and i mean alot of producers out there use samples it's harder to name the ones that dont. Most of producers have at least one piece of equipment fot sampling. The only problem i have is when they use a sample and add new drums over it and call it a beat. Use as many samples as you want but dont get lazy. There is an art to using samples to make beats.(ask primo, 9th wonder, Megahertz, and so on.)

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I agree with Cold, but I get what the question was...

I got a friend who made me listen to a beat he did. It was hype!!!!

But then, when I asked how he got the idea, he just made me listen to the samples he used.... there was NOTHING original! Everything came from an E-Jay sample CD. So there is probably somebody else out there that made the EXACT SAME BEAT he did!

I mean, do you call THAT producing? (i think that was the question... right?)

members online