using dj crosover to extract sounds.

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Okay guys I used to do mobile djing (still do sometimes) and had a big set up any way I no longer do but still have my crosover, which I don't use in my mobile set upany more.

For those of you who don't know what a crossover is. you use it in a 2 or 3 amp djsystem and it sends the bass signal to 1 amp the mid to another and the highs to the other or mid and highs to the other.

So here's my theory what if I hokked up my turntable out put to it and hokked the out puts of the crossover to my mixing board (not dj mixer) which is hooked into the computer.
That way I can extract pure bass lines and stuff like the way the crossover sends just the bass line signal to the amp with the bass speakers..

Im gonna try it later as and tell yall how it went.

Yeah I know I can just use software filters. Buti don't know how to use them right and filter songs to just bass line.

Ok any of yall djs yall try it too and see how it works. Oh and if it won't work for whatever reason let me know.

eka

Mad samplist productions
ill o.g.
I think it might work, but I think you are gonna hear the other sounds as well.
When I use the steinberg compressor in wavelab you can listen to low mid and high independently and you also hear the other sounds to an extend, because most sounds got low, mid and high in them.
it just sounds filtered.
maybe when you just record the low and then filter it with a lowpass filter or eq and let the high out you get a real low bass sound.
let us know what happend.

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
yeah. a crossover is just a filter in essence. it'll work to some extent, but other sounds usually have some remnant bass frequencies that will be picked up. but when you add it to a beat, they probably won't be that noticeable. it all depends on what sounds you're sampling to begin with

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What's good mercury.
Yeah the reason y I came up wit this is cause if you notice on a 3 amp dj system wit a crosover only bass and baseline alone is coming out the bass speakers meaning dat the signal going to that amp powering them are str8t bass frequencies no vocals no mids.

I know what yall mean about filters.

Imight not be able to try it today got a lot of stuff to do.
As soon as I can I'll let yall know how it worked out.

Oh and im talkin bout samplin from records. Hooking the out om my dj mixer to the in on my crossover and the 3 outs (hi mid low) of my crossover to the 3 chanels on my mixing board.

In essence it should send just str8 bass signal from the monoi sub output on the crossover.

Ill let yall know.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
hehe, if you put a compressor on every output ( from the xover ) you'll have multiband ( well 3 anyway ) compressor. Just a little something else...

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ok guys heres an update. I did it and like mercury waters said some of the other sounds came thru,tho they were real real low hardly audible. i tested itmout with a reggae dub record , which is very bass heavy. all in all it worked good tho all the full bass came thru and a lil of the other sounds(sorta like when a crossfader blleds) it was so low u could hardly hear it. then i ran it thru a filter and wala (almost)pure bass. well at least to regular peole .:dance:

members online