UK Hip Hop?

savage_g

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I realise most people on here are from the US and was basically wondering what (if any) shit you hear from the UK?

IMO a lot of its far fresher than a lot of stuff coming out the US recently (probably because the scene's still relatively small and still underground) and the majors over here have interest in pushing platinum US artists and zero interest in homegrown acts ( bar a couple; dizzee, roots manuva)

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
i couldnt agree more

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
i think they have definitely heard Dizzy Rascal. I think one of his tracks made it in an episode of Smallville. Also am sure they have heard Lady Sovereign lol. I think Sway is signed to AKon's label, so I think they know of him too.

On whether hiphop over here is fresher, errrrr I am not sure. A lot of rappers here imitate America too much, so I don't know about freshness. Most of these hardly ever get any real commercial success. The ones that have done it big (Sway, Kano, Dizzie) have all been fresh for sure though.

2nd_Man

The 2nd Generation Of Man
ill o.g.
Im UKish as well, but i dont really listen 2 alot of english rap. I like sway, this is my demo is a good album, and kano's home sweet home again very gd. but outside them 2 and mayb dizzee rascal i really have no interest, just not my cup of tea, lol
yeah i dont really agree with the fresher aspect, especially in regards to beats
but im open to it, i dont shut it out

beatboye

ill o.g.
a lot of them start spittin on paltalk all of em underground
I agree british rap is fresher like over here all the harlem cats copy that boring slow jim jones style na meen
plus it's hard to get noticed like i rescpect westwood on radio 1 gives em a chance to get heared on a larger scale feel me

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
TY! very fresh uk act, 3rd album "closer" with de la soul and bahamadia features. first two albums were dope as well ("awkward" and "upwards"). and by the way hes bobby mcferrins son

C

Carpe Diem

A lot of the stuff coming out over here is ill, the scene is still very much underground and there's a hell of a lot of hunger.

My personal favourite emcee - Cervantis

www.myspace.com/raretype

He's a killer, and whilst you're at it, check his crew too, the Squid Ninjaz, got a very Wu feel to them

www.myspace.com/squidninjaz

savage_g

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
as a personal witness to the uk hip hop sceen I'm not impressed at all I may there are dope artist here and there but for the most part I saw alot of American wannabe clones

French and norway hip hop sceen is much better

Classic

fair enough - wouldnt agree that theres that many american clones (granted there are some), always sounded different from a lot of us stuff, due to the grime 2 step influence thats pretty unique to the UK. Cats like klashnekoff and skinnyman could easy hold their own against a helluva lot of mcs..
Definitely a lot more hunger - being an mc aint a viable way of making money over here.

Agree with you about the french scene though; think its helped by french radio by law having to play a certain percentage of french language tracks. A lot of dope french language rap coming out of north africa as well - algeria's def got a heavy scene.

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
TY! very fresh uk act, 3rd album "closer" with de la soul and bahamadia features. first two albums were dope as well ("awkward" and "upwards"). and by the way hes bobby mcferrins son

i'm a big ty fan as well. didn't know he was bobby mcferrins son though. i think thats a collab that needs to happen. i like jehst and older klashnekoff stuff. roots manuva i dig, but not so much dizzee rascal. i think the uk scene is the same as most hip hop scenes around the world. the talented and original are far and few between.

members online