U be a Judge

E

e.g

Why does everyone hate

what is it wit undergrounders hatin' on main stream hip. Y'all know if u got a break u would be doin da same crap so comon'

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah, I think it's dumb to act like just because someone is mainstream their shit is wack. If it's tight it's tight if it's not it's not. It's true though how a lot of shit that gets radio play these days is garbage. Unfortunately the general public doesn't seem to care about the quality of the music they hear. There have definitely been many tight mainstream rappers (Tupac, Biggie, Outkast, Eminem, Nas) but they seem to be almost nonexistent today.

Another note is that many underground rappers I have heard suck. Just like with people you have to judge each rapper by his own merit.

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
e.g said:
what is it wit undergrounders hatin' on main stream hip. Y'all know if u got a break u would be doin da same crap so comon'

I listen to mainly independent hip hop.

However, there are those in the mainstream I enjoy.

But, I can relate more to independent heads because they are where I'm at.

I don't want the fame, but the money is nice.

My beats will progress and change, but NEVER for the money.

That's what a lot of mainstream guys make music for.

Which kinda blows in my opinion, but I can understand it.

If I got a "break", I would buy the small home I live in, and keep using the same gear to make the same ill shit I make. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
e.g said:

naw son,,,stcik around,,you will meet cats doin what they doin for the love of music. As an emcee I would never compromise my lyrics or style for anyone, as a producer, I'll make a beat for anybody,,,,shit, I may even make them sound nicer,,lol,,

ill o.g.
Most catz that get they chance in the mainstream forget were they come from. Yea, the might shoutout their project buiding or swear up and down they helping the lesser known catz get their chance. When actually its just an illusion..or better yet its a marketing gimmick. Think about it....Why dont I scream out Marcy or Magnolia, so all them cats can go buy my album. Its sad but most of the underground rappers just dont get that chance they deserve. And they do deserve it.

This is just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
e.g said:

I think some people act that way, but deep down in side they still listen to mainstream Hip Hop. But, then again there are truly peeps that hate mainstream stuff. A lot of the rappers we know as mainstream came from the underground scene, they were pushing records on the streats before hitting it big.

Money changes everything. Most peeps will adapt to a popular style in order to make more money. If horrorcore was selling fast and making money you'd better believe Puffy, Jay-Z, Dr. Dre, etc. would be pumping it out. I guess it has to do with integrity. How much is the person willing to be true to his/her self doing what he/she likes or what he/she knows will make money.

Truthfully, radio & mainstream Cd's suck right now so I hit the underground section of the local music store. Savage, you're right not everything is better, but I can see the integrity.

I'm rambling now, but I'd make bubblegum rap if someone paid me mills. Just kidding.

Ctrl

E

Equality 7-2521

e.g said:

speak for yourself bro. your treasure is the next mans trash.

T

The Bastard

i agree sum people hate on mainstream just to hate , or to be stubborn, or cuz they dont wanna admit they fav artist aint shit compared to sum of the heads runnin the rap world. but that dont mean those same people would take the safe road of makin mainstream music just to make more money

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
I feel what everyone is saying and you all make a lot of sence, but to me the bottom line is feeding your family. I would make a track for a pop rapper in a heart beat if it pays well, if thats what I have to do in order to take care of my family. You can still make underground tracks as well on the side with your free time. So I say do what you have to do to make your money and build your rep up, then you start callin the shots to what people want to hear.

C

Carpe Diem

what hoppa said....i dont hate on mainstream, but i dont listen to it...personal reasons...mainly i aint feeling it too much, i prefer catching independent ish, its just more real and more what im into...

people in it commercialy seem to just be marketed for the £££, whereas people like us work our asses off on music 24/7 (ish...) just for the love of it...its a fucked up system but thats another story....

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I aint got no probs making popular music but id do it on my own terms and in my own way like dilla & slum village or timbaland.

and id always come from the heart with my music unlike dudes who will literally style hop to what eva is the popular sound at the moment in attempts to make money by following trends.
While this makes sense it makes for some horrible, stale generic empty music and thats the reason i aint down with alot of mainstream stuff cos it contrived and i can tell it was put 2gether to make money.

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I hope people understand me when I try to explain this, but I'm not sure if you will...

Lately I've been thinking that hip hop is sort of segregated - A lot of people only like underground/indie stuff, will only go to underground artists' shows and will only really mix with similarly minded people. On the other hand, there are people who only really listen to commercial artists, get their news/info from The Source etc [not saying this is good or bad, btw] and hang around with a certain type of hiphop crowd.

The sad thing is these crowds don't seem to mix - and artists, or at least their promotion/advertisement seem to appeal soley to one of the two crowds.

These are of course generalisations [and things I have observed] - so obviously I am aware that there are a lot of people who will listen to both indie/underground and commercial stuff, all I am trying to say is that is a shame that on the whole the two 'groups' don't really seem to respect each other.

Peace.

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I myself don't hate on any artist that has made it or is tryin' to make it in this shady ass business. I would like to see a better balance between mainstream and underground hip hop though. At the same time; I think that both are needed in order for us to have something to choose from. If there was only underground or only mainstream then that would be whack as hell! I listen to both because most of the top producers make mainstream music also. If I could make a mil from one of my beats through the mainstream, I would be happy as hell! That would mean that my fam would be secure for a long time. Biggie,Pac,Pun,Nas,JayZ & Busta are all on some mainstream ish and the world listened. What's wrong with that? Most of the stuff you dance to at the clubs are brought to you by your friendly neighborhood mainstream artist. So why hate on them? Why do you go to work each day or to school to try to get smart enough to go to work? To make money. Bottom line. Take a group like M.O.P. for example. Them cats been grindin' in the underground for years; but most people never even heard of them untill they did "Ante Up". I'm not sayin' that everybody should run out and do "pop music"; f%*k that! I'm just sayin' be true to yourself and stop frontin' like yo' broke ass would'nt want to get some real money one time instead of that "struggle money" that you're gettin' now. LOL!
ONE

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
O-H-TEN said:
Why do you go to work each day or to school to try to get smart enough to go to work? To make money. Bottom line. ONE

^^^^ That shits on Point right there seems like to Many people are worried more about not wanting to be this or not wanting to be that when they should worried about the most important thing ! Having enough Money to Provide for your loved ones If you can do that as a Underground MC , Producer OR watever else then thats good But if you aint making shit then you gotta try something else Unless your just doin this as a Hobby