turntable Needles & Sampling

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
alright, so i got a bunch of vinyl and i obviously sample it to make beats, i purchased a pt-01, i use that to sample, i bought it cus it was portable and that's handy you know whatever. i've heard a lot about how these portables don't pick up as much low end/the best possible sound while sampling/playing. I was wondering if I could buy a nice needle and put it in the pt-01 and it would be up to par, or if I should buy an old record player and a dope needle for it. any reccomendations guys?

J-ReZyN

Soul Slinger
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
The pt-01 got a built in cartridge so your options for needles might be limited. Anyway, the cartridge itself is a big part of how the turntable sounds so a different needle might not do much for you. There are quite a few choices, but I would suggest going with a table that you could use a quality cart and needle with. I love my 1200's, but there are some other decent tables out there.

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
well what if i buy like an old ass turntable at a thrift store, can i put a nice cartridge in that and get a quality sound, or would i need to buy a newer turntable to get compatible cartridges or something like that?

J-ReZyN

Soul Slinger
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Sure, as long as the turntable is compatible with the cartridge. I don't know if an new cart on an old table is going to sound any better than your pt-01. BTW, other than what you've heard, what do you think of the sound from the pt-01? If it's a little bass shy, you might be able to EQ the samples after to bring up the bass. If the sound is just completely unacceptable for sampling then yeah you might need to get another TT. Not counting the cost of the cart - you'll need to get that either way - what's your budget for the TT?

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
uhhh im not sure i could spend anymore than like 100, i was planning on gettin jus some older turntable thatll pick up enough bass so i can sample drums off vinyl better

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Get yourself a Stanton 500AL mkII and be done with it. YOu could get better sounding carts, but you're going to spend a lot more money.