Truth hurts - Find an investor for your project to get signed.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Hi everybody. I figured I would slap you again with a dose of reality, especially the cats looking for record deals.

Your odds are increased exponentially when you find an investor. By "investor" I don't mean a dumbass that just gives you money and lets your artistic/unbusiness self run the show. By investor I mean-- let's take an example:

There's a mute rapper, his name is M.C. Helen Keller. He clicks to a beat, the sound is hot-- run it through some autotune, it could be something good. M.C. Helen Keller drops a couple albums and seems ok-- he has a couple good songs "Hear the Click of My Clip as You Die" and "Click Licking the Clit" are club BANGERS. There's some buzz on the street. Shit-- the cat can't speak and he's "rapping."

Some dumbass local "manager" cons M.C. Helen Keller and his producer, DJ PeeWeeHerman to "represent" them. This manager wears the latest "Roc-A-Wear" and "Sean John" attire-- occasionally sports a "Grays" jersey. He has a couple radio contacts, puts M.C. Helen Keller on the local MC spotlight and maybe a couple local concerts. Oh shit! They're gonna get signed.

Dumbass manager who is a cocky "former" street-hustler now sees it as a time to parlay this "momentum" into a deal. He calls up some low level A&R cat at "Continent" Records he met while "networking" at a local radio promoted "afterparty."

The A&R cat is low level, can't do shit hears the songs, thinks they're hot, but won't stick out his neck because he "just signed two great acts" and signed 5 shitty ones. He can't fuck up his figures for the year-- with the music biz, what the fuck is he gonna do?

He tells the manager that he needs to set up a showcase somewhere in LA. So the manager sets up the showcase at a local club owned by a friend of a friend who cuts him a deal. He puts a couple signs on the walls, pics of M.C. Helen Keller and thinks he's a fucking genius. He also puts a huge amount of money into free bar (good idea) for the cats at the showcase. A couple reps show up, and they pass on M.C. Helen Keller.

The manager says to the MC and DJ - "Man, we'll keep trying. We'll keep trying."

Ah!

One of the reps was a guy named Satan. He's a friend of an A&R rep at Continental and thinks that a mute rapper could make a shitload of money. But he keeps thinking, "that cocky manager who thinks he's the shit is a real dumbass. I could've got these assholes signed PLUS incentives."

The manager starts to hustle Satan lying that the group is being courted by labels, etc. Satan tells the manager the following:

"My name is Satan, I used to manage every major act. How about you let me into this situation, and I offer you a back-end finder's fee plus percentage?"

Manager is cocky as fuck, talks shit about how it's his act, blah, blah, blah. Satan responds:

"Look, before you parade this act around and have them blown out because you don't know how to contact the right people and do the right showcase, it's not my fault. You're only hurting yourself."

Usually, a manager will think that his act has value and is at an advantage. The manager will fuck up the situation. So let's say that Satan just says "fuck it-- manager, I'll buy you out for 30K."

The manager accepts and tells M.C. Helen Keller that Satan wants to manage them-- hypes them up to Satan, etc.

Then Satan gets on his BlackBerry and books the ballroom at Atlantis in the Bahamas. He blocks off a several suites. He tells the Atlantis that he needs everything catered from Friday thru Monday. He also makes sure to block off 1st class tickets for the time frame. "Models" I mean hookers, etc., ready too. (I don't condone any of this -- this is a hypothetical story DO NOT DO THIS EVEN IF YOU CAN.)

Satan's in the negative already. He just dumped a shitload of money. Then -- Satan starts emailing the reps/execs he knows. What do they think?

"Free vacation in the Bahamas just to check out a band? Shit!"

M.C. Helen Keller goes to the Bahamas. A TON of execs and reps show up (I wonder why-- because they're being treated like they're special, not like they're being USED by Satan to get a deal.)

In return, Satan gets a record contract for the mute rapper from one of the execs-- after a small "bidding" war ensues.

"Shit-- Satan's awesome, he had the showcase in the Bahamas-- there were hot women there, and the fucking hotel was great."

"Man, you should have seen this cat M.C. Helen Keller-- fucking awesome, and it was in the Bahamas! WTF!"

You get the idea.

Most cats in the "industry" hate being "used." Sure they want to make a buck off you, but they want to feel "special" because of the position they're afforded. Is that right? Technically NO. But wake the fuck up. What I outlined for you DOES HAPPEN. REALIZE THE COMPETITION, adjust, find an investor-- someone willing to believe in you and put the right money in a calculated attempt to sign you.

(I DO NOT CONDONE ANY OF THIS -- IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, HIRE A LAWYER.)

Im arranging a meeting with a lawyer for next week. After hearing one of my beats on a major uk tv program without my knowledge its about time I got some professional advice and maybe even a little help forwarding the career. You always keep it real, good post. How do you go about getting investment? I would assume it would involve having not only rich friends, but rich friends with a taste for hiphop to see if its a worthy investment.
And what with the current financial situation investment could be a hard thing to find.
I personally wouldnt know where to turn to seek investment. Thats one thing I will be discussing with the lawyer.
I would like to thank you for giving me a kick up the arse, with regards to the business aspects of all of this.
I have learned or realised quite a lot since you started posting the good stuff. Props.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
(THIS IS NOT BUSINESS ADVICE, HIRE A FUCKING LAWYER FOR LEGAL ADVICE AND DO NOT MAKE ANY DECISIONS THAT HAVE A FINANCIAL INVESTMENT/OUTCOME OF ANY KIND BASED OFF THIS POST AND PREVIOUS POSTS I HAVE MADE.)

Rich people always have money, no matter what the poor common folk are being fucked up the ass with (high taxes, high gas prices, etc.)

Usually, investments come from someone in the industry or people that have made money in the past off the industry. They have to see TALENT or something MARKETABLE that gives them a fucking RETURN ON INVESTMENT.

Think of it this way, as someone saying:

Who the fuck are you to ask me to give you $100,000 for your career? What do you have to offer? Do you have any stage presence? Have you invested in yourself? What DIFFERENTIATES you from the other PIECES OF SHIT that ask me to help them day in and day out?

You haven't even stepped up to do PR for yourself? I just met a cat that made an entire online "alternative reality game" for his band. HE GIVES A SHIT MORE ABOUT HIMSELF THAN YOU DO? What the FUCK do you have to offer?

You can't be cocky-- be honest in your assessment.

Let's pretend:

A manager that has heard your ARTISTIC PLIGHT just WALKS UP TO YOU AND SAYS:

"2good, I have $100,000 cash in my right hand and a Blackberry in my left with enough contacts to get the same showcase that Satan booked at Atlantis in the Bahamas with the same fucking reps. Give me a list of reasons of why should I secure you a record deal, and not another cat on Illmuzik, or other people I hear every fucking day. Give me a list of reasons."

Post the list, 2good. This is pretend, but you get my gist. I'm not putting you on the spot-- but if someone did-- really-- think about what I just asked you. If you want to play along in this role-play, post the reply of reasons and we can escalate this role-play so we can figure some shit out.

Later,

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Good post G.O.D. - There's a lot more truth in that example than fiction lol.

I would like to point out that "investor" is not defined as:

Accepting money from local or even bigtime dopeboy/drug dealers.
If you are talented, and want to have a shot at going far in this industry -
Try to stay as far away from the dope game (and the mob) as possible.

Reason why is because even if you outgrow that affiliation and sell a few records,
once the laws come down on that "investor"- they are gonna look at where his/her money went and if you're successful - the connection between your success and their startup money is gonna be assumed. It's called money laundering.

50 Cent did not kill Ja Rule's career - Murda Inc's affiliation with various street elements slowed down their run.

Don't forget where you come from, but don't let it stop where you wanna go.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Thanks shadeed. BUT I NEED TO SAY SOMETHING ELSE:

Think of a record exec with the power to sign you like the HOTTEST fucking WOMAN you know that you want to FUCK. She's a 10 a perfect fucking 10! Think of her... do you have her image in your head? Visualize it! If you could have sex with her... if you could date her... if you could have her as your GF... wouldn't you be the SHIT!?

OK. That's what a record exec is to you. That fat, cigar smoking, bullshit talking person that "signs" people and has the right connections is like a HOT FUCKING WOMAN THAT IS A "10" on Hugh Hefner's rating scale because, to you AS A MUSICIAN OR PRODUCER, the can GIVE YOU A RECORD DEAL.

How do you get into the 10's pants?

- You have to demonstrate value to her.

- You have to make it seem like it's her decision.

- You have to make it look like you don't give a shit if she rejects you, because you're comfortable with your self.

What items of value do you have to get the HOT FUCKING 10 Playboy Playmate.

- Maybe she thinks you're very attractive. That gives you some value.

- Do you have money? That's more value.

- Do you seem non-needy? You're not annoying... great.

- What differentiates you from the other "chumps" that hit on her (she gets hit on every fucking hour of her life-- her defenses are up.)

- Are you experienced, do you understand her game? (No Mystery Method responses here, please.)

But you can get her if you game her-- right?

GAME THE FUCKING INDUSTRY FOLKS TOO-- on a business level.

BUILD value for yourself so you are an attractive choice-- SHOW YOU HAVE GOOD SONGS, A GOOD STAGE PRESENCE.

BE ATTRACTIVE (investment-wise) to the rep, are you a good ROI?

DON'T ACT LIKE A NEEDY person calling 1,000 times a day. Be cool. Act like this shit is not a problem for you.

INDUSTRY PEOPLE GET HIT UP A LOT by people: "Yo, gimme a record deal", "I got some songs you should listen to"-- they're approached, just like a hot woman, every day for something. For the woman, it's for sex, for the industry cat, it's for a record deal.

Why should a hot girl go out with you? How do you game her?

Why should an industry rep give you a deal? How do you game them for a record deal? Do you lobby them by taking them out to nice restaurants, do you set up "showcases in the Bahamas" so they can see the act?

Are you seeing the similarities? UNDERSTAND IT. ALL social interactions involve showing, assessing value, investing in something that has value, perceived value. I don't care if this is with women, in banking, but everything in life comes down to a VALUE ASSESSMENT. IS THIS WORTH MY TIME? IS THIS WORTH MY MONEY? IS THIS WORTH ME WRITING A BEAT?

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
dope post. Keep that truth coming G.

The whole value thing is right on. These dudes, Satan for instance in G's story, are no different to under-writers in the stock market.

Let's pretend:

A manager that has heard your ARTISTIC PLIGHT just WALKS UP TO YOU AND SAYS:

"2good, I have $100,000 cash in my right hand and a Blackberry in my left with enough contacts to get the same showcase that Satan booked at Atlantis in the Bahamas with the same fucking reps. Give me a list of reasons of why should I secure you a record deal, and not another cat on Illmuzik, or other people I hear every fucking day. Give me a list of reasons."

Post the list, 2good. This is pretend, but you get my gist. I'm not putting you on the spot-- but if someone did-- really-- think about what I just asked you. If you want to play along in this role-play, post the reply of reasons and we can escalate this role-play so we can figure some shit out.

Later,

1. Music is my life, since I was a teenager and first really started hearing hiphop music it struck a chord with me. I was desperate to get my decks and start djing, which I eventually saved up for then spent loads of money buying records. I loved it, have always loved it and think I will always love it. After getting the turntables my next goal was to get a computer and start actually making beats, I have been making beats for 11 years, honing my craft, trying to get my game up constantly. Trying to make that one perfect beat. I have never been dedicated to anything as much in my whole life. I want to contribute to the world of hiphop and pay it back for the joy it instilled into me as a teenager, the nights out clubbing it up, and the great enjoyment I get from the process of making music. If it wasnt for hiphop and my best mate being a dancer and touring the world even sharing a stage with Michael Jackson introducing me to a "pop" star, inspiring me and making me think I could do something in music, I wouldnt be making music.

2. I feel that Im at a standard ready to take my music to the next stage. I am able to compose music without using samples, thus taking away the need to clear samples, so saving money there.

3. I feel restricted financially, I have done stints of advertising and have spent money on trying to promote my website and music. I have put a lot of money into making music over the years. I am well invested into my dream, but money is hard to come by these days. And to lay on the big promo deal costs money. Its a competetive market these days, the digital age has flooded the market with a haystack of material and artists. Im just a needle in that haystack, to make any headway will require shrewd and clever marketting, and a budget to run it.

4. This isnt just a get rich quick scheme to me, Im in it for the long haul, I want to make a long term career out of the one thing I enjoy most, (I can make beats for days but can only fuck for and hour or so at tops so even sex comes in second). I will do my utmost to put out a high quality product that sells on its quality value, I would like to have a following of fans that appreciate the longevity of a high quality product as opposed to the quick forgotten in a year catchy hooked quick money maker. Which then theoretically leads to long term sales. Opposed to a quick exploitation that ruins a reputation and ends a career. Long haul = long term ROI. An investment that keeps paying.

5. Large catalog of beats. I have over a 1000 beats I have made, some good some are bad. But there is plenty of good material there already.

6. Investment in a well connected and respected, experienced lawyer. As long as the product is quality, a lawyer can help make things happen. A manager recommended by the respected lawyer. I have no intention of wasting any of the investment, I would like to spend every penny on the most condusive to a ROI publicity as possible.
If the product is good it should sell itself by word of mouth, thus although not cutting out traditional promo methods will help to maximize the promo that is done.

Just a couple, I know there isnt anything too suductive to a potential investor there. Its getting late and I have to go to bed, so that will do for now.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
1. Music is my life, since I was a teenager and first really started hearing hiphop music it struck a chord with me. I was desperate to get my decks and start djing, which I eventually saved up for then spent loads of money buying records. I loved it, have always loved it and think I will always love it. After getting the turntables my next goal was to get a computer and start actually making beats, I have been making beats for 11 years, honing my craft, trying to get my game up constantly. Trying to make that one perfect beat. I have never been dedicated to anything as much in my whole life. I want to contribute to the world of hiphop and pay it back for the joy it instilled into me as a teenager, the nights out clubbing it up, and the great enjoyment I get from the process of making music. If it wasnt for hiphop and my best mate being a dancer and touring the world even sharing a stage with Michael Jackson introducing me to a "pop" star, inspiring me and making me think I could do something in music, I wouldnt be making music.

2. I feel that Im at a standard ready to take my music to the next stage. I am able to compose music without using samples, thus taking away the need to clear samples, so saving money there.

3. I feel restricted financially, I have done stints of advertising and have spent money on trying to promote my website and music. I have put a lot of money into making music over the years. I am well invested into my dream, but money is hard to come by these days. And to lay on the big promo deal costs money. Its a competetive market these days, the digital age has flooded the market with a haystack of material and artists. Im just a needle in that haystack, to make any headway will require shrewd and clever marketting, and a budget to run it.

4. This isnt just a get rich quick scheme to me, Im in it for the long haul, I want to make a long term career out of the one thing I enjoy most, (I can make beats for days but can only fuck for and hour or so at tops so even sex comes in second). I will do my utmost to put out a high quality product that sells on its quality value, I would like to have a following of fans that appreciate the longevity of a high quality product as opposed to the quick forgotten in a year catchy hooked quick money maker. Which then theoretically leads to long term sales. Opposed to a quick exploitation that ruins a reputation and ends a career. Long haul = long term ROI. An investment that keeps paying.

5. Large catalog of beats. I have over a 1000 beats I have made, some good some are bad. But there is plenty of good material there already.

6. Investment in a well connected and respected, experienced lawyer. As long as the product is quality, a lawyer can help make things happen. A manager recommended by the respected lawyer. I have no intention of wasting any of the investment, I would like to spend every penny on the most condusive to a ROI publicity as possible.
If the product is good it should sell itself by word of mouth, thus although not cutting out traditional promo methods will help to maximize the promo that is done.

Just a couple, I know there isnt anything too suductive to a potential investor there. Its getting late and I have to go to bed, so that will do for now.

I am noob when it comes to industry, so take what I say with a real grain of salt here and am open to correction if am wrong :p

I really like the long term vibes you mention in there, shows your commitment. Also you beat catalogue is immense, am impressed :). I noticed the writing about your passion and dedication to music, all this is all good and well, however there needs to be more to l base an investment.

Do you already have a following? If so how big, and how can that be translated to a bigger scale. I am a finance student, and I am beginning to notice most of these music dudes have very business/finance like mindsets. You would not go buy shares in an unknown and hope to win. Show me your current turnover, profit margins etc. It may be a small proportion compared to majors, but is there potential for it to be large with the right capital provided to help it expand?

In the same way I think they will look to see whether an injection of capital will help expand the business or in this case, an artist to fresh profits. To win big, you usually have to risk big, so herein lies the exception to already having a following. If you can prove that you have immense, unique talent, then am sure there will be many investors ready to empty their wallets on you.

How many people believed google would become this big? Well a number of "angel investors" as we call them managed to cough up $1 million between them and helped turn google into a commercial project in its early days. They did so without relying on a track record at all. It was simply a great, unique product! So if you don't already have a following, you best have something really good that will stand out against competition. Otherwise ROI will be miniscule or even result in a loss!

I hope i didn't rumble off too much there, but the what am saying is, passion about the music is one thing, everyone that wants in on the game has it, what else can you bring to the table.

The thing with me is that Im not a hustler, Im not out networking and getting my grind on, or plugging my shit and getting into the right places. Im hard working in a job I have managed to keep for the last 6 years, a job that just manages to pay the bills and take up most of my life. With the time I do have left I spend it making music, making the music is my passion, being an advertising/sales man, talking shit about my stuff isnt me. I understand I have to sell myself to the right people, potential publishers etc. But I really aint a street hustler. The hustle is necessary to generate a buzz, I know this too. Maybe Im doomed to failiure because Im not a sales person.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The thing with me is that Im not a hustler, Im not out networking and getting my grind on, or plugging my shit and getting into the right places. Im hard working in a job I have managed to keep for the last 6 years, a job that just manages to pay the bills and take up most of my life. With the time I do have left I spend it making music, making the music is my passion, being an advertising/sales man, talking shit about my stuff isnt me. I understand I have to sell myself to the right people, potential publishers etc. But I really aint a street hustler. The hustle is necessary to generate a buzz, I know this too. Maybe Im doomed to failiure because Im not a sales person.

I can sort of relate here because I am at Uni and that takes up all 9 months of the year for me. I have 3 or so months to truly chase the music thing. How about using your holiday allowance to hustle the music thing? You can still achieve success without working music 24/7. Just depends what kind of success you will be happy with. A lot of producers want mass recognition and appreciation, others just like making music that they enjoy and would not mind keeping to themselves. Which of the two are you? Or if you are a combination of both, which one of the two factors takes precedence?

Also, maybe you aren't the sales type, but you can find someone that is just that, to cover that side for you. He would be a partner. In business partnerships, often you will find one dude thats good with the paper work, and another person thats good with people. The partnership works because you have two great skills that complement each other.

I can sort of relate here because I am at Uni and that takes up all 9 months of the year for me. I have 3 or so months to truly chase the music thing. How about using your holiday allowance to hustle the music thing? You can still achieve success without working music 24/7. Just depends what kind of success you will be happy with. A lot of producers want mass recognition and appreciation, others just like making music that they enjoy and would not mind keeping to themselves. Which of the two are you? Or if you are a combination of both, which one of the two factors takes precedence?

Also, maybe you aren't the sales type, but you can find someone that is just that, to cover that side for you. He would be a partner. In business partnerships, often you will find one dude thats good with the paper work, and another person thats good with people. The partnership works because you have two great skills that complement each other.
I have a friend from school that is on his hustle, he would make a great partner and has even invited me to do shit with him. We just find it hard to find the time to get together and do stuff, maybe I should lay off the old greenery a little too, I know that kills a lot of my enthusiasm to get things done while at the same time helping my music production.
I just want to make a career out of doing the thing I enjoy most, so I can stop the daily grind doing a dead end job I dont like doing and instead make music. My goal is to make the music pay the bills. I dont want fame and fortune, I would like to be respected among my peers but that is earned not bought. I would like to develop a reputation worthy of me getting to work with some of my favorite mc's but that would be icing on the cake.
Its all about getting the bills payed and food on the table while enjoying my job it at the same time. Thats the main goal. With $100,000 id probably set up a label, give the investor a sizeable share in the company, Id sign up some mc's that I have worked with and really like. Id start producing some albums, and try to put out the best possible material I can acheive. A product I can beleive in and hopefully that others can beleive in. Quality shines, as long as I can maintain a high level of quality then things should go well. Id try to produce the album using as little of the budget as possible, and try to maximise the budget used for promotion/distribution. As long as the product is hot, and people know about it, then it should sell itself.

While the music industry tackles piracy head on, i think there is a chance of a good future still in music.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83

You and I have alot in common.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
I don't have enough time to repudiate everything you guys basically said, but here's it on the whole. When I have some time I can be a little more detailed.

2good:

There's self-defeatism in your posts. Whether it is justified or not is not "Satan's" problem. You're supposed to come across to a person like "Satan" as a rational person with a good attitude that's willing to work with Satan in order to get a record deal.

A couple other things:

1. Satan will not actually give you 100K so you can "start up your own label." Satan would probably think that's the dumbest thing he's heard, because 100K could get you a couple awesome showcases and move you in the direction to get a deal that is worth more than running a company with an unproven act.

2. If you're trying to come off as a rap act, you have to have photos of yourself-- an image. I went to your Myspace and web site, I found nothing.

3. Satan will be your hustler, not you-- just be an artist. BUT you have to hustle Satan enough to make him believe in your music.

You have a thousand beats, have been in it for 11 years... there's gotta be something good there. I remember reading something Will.I.Am said it was basically something like:

- Everyone makes beats these days.

- If you can't make it as a producer yourself, get an act and be a part of it. Find a Fergie or some chick and work with her, make HER music, see if you get signed that way.

If you can't come across as an act, produce one and push it. If that's not your cup of tea do something different.

Just WAKE UP, the world doesn't operate the way you think it does, or the way you want it to.

Anyway, good luck-- everyone finds their way on a different path.

TBKS

Satan: LMAO at "I am hiphop." Wow that made me roll my eyes. That plus your cocky attitude that is unjustified (save it for when you go platinum) makes an investor want to move on to someone they can actually work with and has hot beats. If you actually go platinum or have a couple hit songs, then you have value, which then gives you a right to unreasonable cockiness. Project confidence but be reasonable since Satan is showing interest in wanting to invest in you.

You're not the only person, Illmuzik is not the only place for finding beats. I'm here posting shit to help you all understand what the fuck actually happens. You're acting too cocky from a position of little leverage. You say you can get the entire fucking internet behind you and masses of people to follow you. I went to your Myspace page-- it says you had 38,000 plays. That's good. But then I scrolled through the songs. You should have left the beats that gave you a lot of play online, so somebody could see what people were listening to. Were they taken off? Your songs, by themselves, didn't have a lot of plays, and in one day, you only had 9 listens. That means your inconsistent.

Do you play live shows? When are you booked next? Are you just an internet rapper? If a rep wanted to see you, do you have ANY form of stage presence or YouTube video of you and your crew rapping? What's your image? You have a Jackie Robinson jersey photo on your profile (that's awesome) but you should have photos of yourself easily accessible. I checked out your Slide.com slideshow. Where are you? I THINK I saw you a couple times interspersed within the slide show. I saw JayZ more times than I care to imagine. Do you know him? How many songs of yours did he pick up? Can I call his agent, or manager and will they say-- yeah, TBKS is dope? Do they even know you. You get my point. Keep the hustle though, you won't get anywhere without it, but think about how to market yourself. Ways that are different the other run of the mill rapper/producer.

Are you trying to be mysterious?... that's cool, but I don't get the vibe off your site.

You gotta understand what position you come in. Look at my words as constructive criticism rather than attitude, I don't mean disrespect.

Anyway, I really have to go, I'll post something else, that has more detail later on.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Wow thats some good info, basically I know first hand, everyone that I know that either was in bed with the industry at some point or worked for labels have all fallen back and doing their own thing, started their own label, got their own artists and pushing their sound, I mean I am talking cats that could have a meeting with any A&R of at least 2 major labels in NY and did so on a daily basis, dont get me wrong they had songs placed but the big record did not happen, they eat sleep and sh*t beats and more importantly well put together songs, when i saw that and took their advice the industry and thoughts of getting signed are a long shot, its much more beneficial to run your own show and or just produce local artists and push indie hard.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Wow thats some good info, basically I know first hand, everyone that I know that either was in bed with the industry at some point or worked for labels have all fallen back and doing their own thing, started their own label, got their own artists and pushing their sound, I mean I am talking cats that could have a meeting with any A&R of at least 2 major labels in NY and did so on a daily basis, dont get me wrong they had songs placed but the big record did not happen, they eat sleep and sh*t beats and more importantly well put together songs, when i saw that and took their advice the industry and thoughts of getting signed are a long shot, its much more beneficial to run your own show and or just produce local artists and push indie hard.

Getting signed is the first step. The second step is dealing with internal politics in within the label. That's a totally different game.

You survived Level 1 in the music game. It's like "Welcome to Level 2".

2good:

Just WAKE UP, the world doesn't operate the way you think it does, or the way you want it to.
Thanks to you I am beginning to realise some of the shadier(business) aspects of the industry.
And yes you are right, sometimes I defeat myself before I have even started.
Im not going for being a rapper, like I said before, I know what my talents are and what they arent.
But the Will I Am advice is great advice.
Im at a stage that I have realised that I have to work with somebody else, to start to make things happen, to get the finished products from my raw beats. The Will I Am advice confirms to me Im going in the right direction, and I also feel that everyone makes beats these days.

Through a long time making beats I have become pretty versatile and feel I could almost make beats to order, I have been so lost in concentrating on improving the ability I lost sight of some of the other aspects.
My next order of the day, is to get collabs popping off, and start generating a buzz, I think the leverage that a small following can generate is invaluable.
A little self criticism helps to improve as an artist, I will try to get a balance between self criticism and defeatism.
Im going to get my networking going on and make things happen that way.
Because of my lack of enthusiasm on the networking front I know I have no leverage in the "tried and tested" department. An investor will want some sort of security that there is a fanbase already.

I also know that a record label is a foolish move, especially right now, and especially with an unproven record. But I would see $100,000 as a hell of a lot of money to put into just a couple showcases. Thats my naivety.
I would try to make something happen long term rather than a short term thing, I would really like to make a career at of music and not just be a flash in the pan fad. I thought a label would provide the long term ROI, as well as a certain amount of creative control.

I appreciate your wisdom on all of this. And no Im not going to quote you, base my decisions solely on your wisdom, but I will heed your words and weigh the balances.
And above all, Im getting a FUCKING LAWYER, lol

members online