Total Novice—Where to Start?

S

schrodingerscat

I'll keep this simple: I'm a total novice with no hip-hop production experience (everyone has to start somewhere).

Question: If you could go back and start from scratch, how would you approach the monumental task of becoming a great producer/beat-maker? What general path do you suggest I take? What principles should I keep in mind throughout the journey? Should I go the software route or the hardware route? Etc. Etc.

I figured I'd do my research online before trying to reinvent the wheel on my own—any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
I'd start buy purchasing tutorials from

pyramind.com
pointblank.com

Those sites offer courses from industry experts.

YouTube.com – Lots of free information there.

Some people right tell you to start messing with things and learn on your own....Times have changed no need putting in unneeded hours to learn in 3-4 years what can be learned in 6 months to a year.

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
also, get in touch with people that make beats. i mean in the real world. hang out with producers, check out how they do their stuff. nothing beats first hand experience.

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Surround yourself with talented producers and beat makers. I learned more in a year and a half interning and engineering with big time producers then 10 years of doing it on my own.