Top 8 Ways to RUIN Your Mix (and how to FIX it!)

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Nice tips. The one about the drums and limiters or compressors is something I've noticed when I try to make drums come out more. The problem is some plug-ins and how it affects the drums. I have a compressor that I added to my drums but it really squashes it to the point where the drums sound so artificial.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Nice tips. The one about the drums and limiters or compressors is something I've noticed when I try to make drums come out more. The problem is some plug-ins and how it affects the drums. I have a compressor that I added to my drums but it really squashes it to the point where the drums sound so artificial.
You have to be careful with saturation drums too. You can take away punch or oomph as the peaks get too rounded. It takes some reaaal close and careful listening to get right.
And then you have to gage whether the punch you're losing is worth that extra volume. Even if it's minimal.

You have to be careful with saturation drums too. You can take away punch or oomph as the peaks get too rounded. It takes some reaaal close and careful listening to get right.
And then you have to gage whether the punch you're losing is worth that extra volume. Even if it's minimal.
Yep, mixing is a matter of trade offs and finding a compromise. Everything you add colours the sound in some way, less is more. There should always be a reason why you would add a particular fx plugin.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Yep, mixing is a matter of trade offs and finding a compromise. Everything you add colours the sound in some way, less is more. There should always be a reason why you would add a particular fx plugin.
When I'm adding a process. These days I may back it off a little. Maybe it doesn't need me to... however if it's still improving the sound then this is good.

There are probably some processes I could go harder with.