Tips for making dope basslines?

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I mainly use fruityloops and need some advice about making some dope basslines for my songs. I mainly would like feedback on where to get the sounds from - soundfonts, sample cds etc, and any tips for sequencing and effects.

holla

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Everyone knows my favorite way of making some basslines is with the Planet Phatt soundfont. Very dope indeed. Right now I have a couple of short wav clips that I load into Fruity and play them out.

It's kind of hard to go into all the details, but what kind of setup are you using?

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Here's a method I use a bit...

Open up Cool edit

Go to Generate / Tones

Change the base frequence to a low number (100 or less) and you can change how long the tone lasts at the bottom. You got a bass!

I also recommend using a modulation wheel so you can make the bass sound a little more dynamic.

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Originally posted by Fade
Everyone knows my favorite way of making some basslines is with the Planet Phatt soundfont. Very dope indeed. Right now I have a couple of short wav clips that I load into Fruity and play them out.

It's kind of hard to go into all the details, but what kind of setup are you using?

My setup is a PC with software, Fruity Loops 3.56.

I also have Cool Edit Pro 2.

I think I got the Planet Phat Soundfont a while ago. It shows up in Fruity Loops as "Phatt Instruments" would this be correct?

I haven't used it much but I just had a look now and it does a quite a few Sub Bass sounds. Is this waht I should be using? Any tips/tutorials for making a good bassline in Fruity Loops?

peace

D

Devan Tha Dogen

Even tho I use other methods these days, I can remeber chopping up samples for basslines and man you can make it sound almost as tight as a synth or whateva else heads are using these days. Just find some bass sounds (ie. samples) cut out a bass note you like. Dump it into your sequencer. Tune it to the rest of your piece (ie. adjust pitch by cents until it sounds like it matches), then start cutting it up. Raise the pitch of the sample by semitones to change each note (you can only change the pitch so much, too much will distort). Listen to live bass players and try to emulate their sound. Their are certain nuiances that distinguish a live sound from a synth sound. Use fades, volume levels, eqs, whateva...a little compression (not too much) also helps for a fat bass sound.

You can use this method for making your own basslines, but if you can manage it, just go and get a live player. There are tons of bass players with enough skill to lay down every hiphop bassline you are hearing these days....mostly because their made by producers that ain't musicians. Go to a music school/department and get someone to record a shit load of bass sounds and lines. I don't how useful any of this is, but there you go. Peace.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Originally posted by goldeneyeoutlaw
My setup is a PC with software, Fruity Loops 3.56.

I also have Cool Edit Pro 2.

I think I got the Planet Phat Soundfont a while ago. It shows up in Fruity Loops as "Phatt Instruments" would this be correct?

I haven't used it much but I just had a look now and it does a quite a few Sub Bass sounds. Is this waht I should be using? Any tips/tutorials for making a good bassline in Fruity Loops?

peace

Yeah 'Phatt Instruments' is the one and yes it has a bunch of sub basses.

I just started using FL to do my bass. I haven't loaded the soundfont into it yet, I just load some bass samples and play them like that. I can't really offer any tips right now since I just started using it for basslines but it's pretty straightforward. Are you using the Piano Roll with FL? Or do you have a keyboard sync'ed up to your PC & Fruity?

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Originally posted by Fade
Yeah 'Phatt Instruments' is the one and yes it has a bunch of sub basses.

I just started using FL to do my bass. I haven't loaded the soundfont into it yet, I just load some bass samples and play them like that. I can't really offer any tips right now since I just started using it for basslines but it's pretty straightforward. Are you using the Piano Roll with FL? Or do you have a keyboard sync'ed up to your PC & Fruity?

I'm using Piano Roll with Fruity. Fade, I'd love to hear some of the basslines you've made with Fruity or even flp files so I can see how you put it together. Hook me up when you have a chance bro.

peace

g outlaw

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
Originally posted by goldeneyeoutlaw
I mainly use fruityloops and need some advice about making some dope basslines for my songs. I mainly would like feedback on where to get the sounds from - soundfonts, sample cds etc, and any tips for sequencing and effects.

holla

www.computermusic.co.uk i dont know if they have it up on the site yet. but in a article from last year, the show how to make alot of instruments on the computer sound real. also check into an akai sample cd of bass guitar. you can use chicken systems translator to convert to wav if that particular cd isnt available in wav format.

so in essence..

1. get a decent set of sounds(if you wanna take the time. ts 404 set to a deep sine wav with parametric eq cutoff at 90hz and compressor will work well)
2. learn the basics of bass guitar playing and how to incorporate that into your sequencing, this will produce a good "hip hop" sound as back in the day most shit was sampled funk records(some still are today) and those were all live bass players

I

Ieetplayer

Listen to as much Parliament Funkadelic, Johnny "Guitar" Watson and Gap Band as you possibly can. After this it would be impossible to make a wack bassline.

P

PG13

Originally posted by Ieetplayer
Listen to as much Parliament Funkadelic, Johnny "Guitar" Watson and Gap Band as you possibly can. After this it would be impossible to make a wack bassline.

LOL

K

" Killah! "

Shit, I took a field recording of an engine revving, manipulated the frequencies in CEP 2.0, EQ'ed it, sampled it... and spread it across the keyboard as a SoundFont via Vienna.

That's bass.

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
Originally posted by " Killah! "
Shit, I took a field recording of an engine revving, manipulated the frequencies in CEP 2.0, EQ'ed it, sampled it... and spread it across the keyboard as a SoundFont via Vienna.

That's bass.

well if that bass needs any punch to be added to it. u can sample my car and we'll see how much it pounds your speakers