Thor is out Today.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
I think he was "just saying" about Spidey and the X-Men...

Anyway, this is what has happened...Back in the comic book days, Spidey was okay but nobody really wanted to be Spidey, he was basically a sissy. The X-Men were cool but they were mutants and even though we liked them, nobody wanted to be an mutant. Now "The Incredible Hulk" and "Superman" were the heat, the Hulk was a human that once pissed off would destroy anything in his path. He relied on brute strength and nothing could stop him. Superman was an alien but was accepted as a normal human being, growing up from a child and representing the "American Way".

Everybody wanted to be one of those two (mainly). All of the Superman Series did okay, but they really screwed up both Hulk movies even though the 2nd one was much better than the first. So now they are setting us up for the Avengers and they are properly building the anticipation which is a good thing unlike what they did for "Thor", I didn't even know they were making a Thor movie until I saw the trailor for it.

So my expectations won't be as high even if it's a great movie. One thing we know for sure, The Avengers will have to be pretty damn good because everybody is waiting for it. Just my thoughts.

i'm sorry, what? nobody wanted to be spiderman, one of the most popular and iconic characters from comics? or the x-men, one of the most important comics from marvel, and kept them afloat and popular when both the avengers and hulk (and ironman, capt. amercia, etc...) were waning, especially in sales?

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
But spiderman and xmen are not in the avengers.

Actually, Spiderman and Wolverine have been in the avengers. At different times. It wouldve been dope to include them in the movie

i'm sorry, what? nobody wanted to be spiderman, one of the most popular and iconic characters from comics? or the x-men, one of the most important comics from marvel, and kept them afloat and popular when both the avengers and hulk (and ironman, capt. amercia, etc...) were waning, especially in sales?

Spiderman was so popular, so many different versions of the same comic. The Amazing Spider man, The spectacular Spiderman, Web Of Spiderman, Spiderman Family(From wiki)regular appearances in other comics.I think, and Im going out on a limb, that Spiderman could be the most popular comic character of all time.
And of course the X-Men, that was huge. Batman was just ill as fuck. The only problems with a lot of those characters was the movie/tv versions, except X-Men, I really loved every X-Men film they made. But the old Spiderman films were a big let down, due to what they could actually do with effects. The hulk was still a hugely popular tv series even though it was a bit lame. The old Batman series were camp as fuck, its only the more recent Christian Bale versions that have touched close to what the comic was like.

Dac I think you might be basing some assuptions on the movie versios of the character. I personnaly have found a lit of disapointment of the movies because they have so much promis but pretty poor delivery. Some have done it better than others, especially in very recent times. But precomputer graphics they just couldnt really do it. And true lovers of the old comics can be some of the hardest to please due to the such huge expectaction.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Actually superman and batman are probably the most popular of them.. with spidey a close 3rd. Spiderman was pretty much the face of Marvel comics for decades.....The X-men helped carry Marvel as well. I actually loved spider man comics over superman and batman comics. Spider-man was just cooler...he wasn't the geek clark kent was and not the millionaire bruce wayne was. He was just an average dude with a dope wife......Plus Spider-man was always there with the one liners.......he was just overall more of the current super hero than batman and superman...

Yes...Spider-man and Wolverine have been with the Avengers at different times, but they were not full-timers. I'm hoping this Avengers movie is what I'm hoping....because that would just suck balls if it flopped. Thor will flop...he wasn't as cool as other comic book characters...but he has been around for decades....

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259

You may be right...Spidey just wasn't that realistic to us because I grew up in Wash. DC and Spidey wouldn't have had very many skyscrapers to hang on to while trying to fly...lol. All of my friends either wanted to be Superman or The Hulk. But I give Spidey props.

Dac I think you might be basing some assuptions on the movie versios of the character. I personnaly have found a lit of disapointment of the movies because they have so much promis but pretty poor delivery. Some have done it better than others, especially in very recent times. But precomputer graphics they just couldnt really do it. And true lovers of the old comics can be some of the hardest to please due to the such huge expectaction.

I too was a little disappointed with the movie versions esp. the first one or two but Spidey always got his @$$ kicked first and then made a comeback...hahaha, whereas the Hulk was unstoppable and Superman didn't have a weakness until Lex Luger came along and discovered Kryptonite. I even saw on some show, where they decided that Superman had to have a weakness so they wrote one in, else, nobody would even have a chance against him. Plus Superman only really fought crime at first.

Now that I'm older, I think that it was cool as hell that everyone had someone they could relate to. Batman was so weak that the only way to make him relevant was to create someone weaker than him, thus came Robin...ROTF! But still, some cats really liked Batman and Robin for good reasons.

Just got back from seeing this film in 3d, some pretty spectacular visuals and its all leading into the avengers nicely. I was a little disappointed as Thor never had no power for most of the movie, but that aside, some great special fx.
Saw some previews for Captain America, X-Men First Class and Green Lantern.
Green Lantern looks fucking kick arse.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
unless you're talking about alan west's campy bullshit, how is batman weak? a non-super/meta human that still kicks the asses of superheroes and supervillains. he's far from weak, and thanks to that bigoted asshole comic legend, frank miller, the original dark knight was reintroduced in the late 80's.

I mean think about it, Batman is a James Bond with a molded muscle suit. Even his character is weak, what billionaire would care if people knew who he was? He's a crime fighter not a superhero, more like a super policeman, he even works for the commissioner...thats weak compared to the rest. I think he brings balance and hope to those who needed a normal human being as a contender. But really, he's a come back kid at best. =)