This Real old news, but a good lesson

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Hey this is old news but its a pretty good lesson of what might happen if you are selling beats with no contract or even handing out a beat CD.....I have had this sort of happen also....with cats that will get beats from me, have paid me in the past but get slack and then sort of fade out on the dough.....

http://www.hiphop-elements.com/article/read/4/5337/1/

what would you do?

Neil Maman from Quiet Storm Entertainment has e-mailed Y2Hiphop.com a recent interview regarding the situation between Jadakiss, Ras Kass and The Alchemist over the so-called double selling of a beat. The Alchemist recently revealed his side of the story over the situation and said that it was the fault of Ras Kass' record label, Priority Records that this whole situation arised.

It appears that back in 1999, Ras Kass had approached The Alchemist to produce three beats for his forthcoming album "Van Gogh". The Alchemist agreed a fee with the label and the beats were produced with Priority Records paying an initial deposit for the beats. However, when the beats were passed on to Ras Kass, Priority completely neglected The Alchemist and didn't cough up the rest of the cash or send The Alchemist any contracts to sign, so in his reckoning, the beats were still up for grabs. Enter Jadakiss, who heard the beats and was feelin' the beat that was originally done for Ras Kass. Contracts were agreed and signed and it looks like Jada will be using the beat on his forthcoming solo debut, "Kiss Tha Game Goodbye".

The Alchemist even claims that Ras Kass knew about the deal a month prior to "Home Sweet Home" being released on mixtapes and even went on to say that Ras Kass try to mess up the deal by doing this. When The Alchemist offered to pay back Ras Kass the initial deposit laid down for the beats and offered Ras Kass a new beat, Kass rejected it.

It looks as though this might be an ongoing issue which will never be resolved. Either way, it's unlikely Ras Kass will be able to stop Jadakiss from using the beat since no contracts were signed.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
In my opinion, Jadakiss has the beat fair and square.

Priority fucked up

Soo DyNaMeK

ill o.g.
Sanova said:
In my opinion, Jadakiss has the beat fair and square.

Priority fucked up

I agree as well. Da beat beat is not fully Rass kass until the deposit is paid in full!!!! Which in this case was not.

Soo Dy-NaM-eK!!!

Manji

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
and Rassy was talkin all that shit about alchemist when Rass was the one clownin'

I mean, your label fucks up and the producer offers to compensate for the slight problem and you turn it down?

ROD

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I didnt even know jada had the beat till I seen the video.. but I heard rass waaaay before that on a cornerstone mixtape

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Unless stipulated in the record contract (and Kass had a falling out w/the label anyway) Kass could've sued his label or manager because they allegedly failed to represent him properly. He probably didn't have enough money or the ability to think that because his representation was supposedly misguiding him.

If I remember correctly, Kass went off the deep end and "stole" the master from the label back in 2000, or something. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Kass lost a lot of money on that record, and the events that allegedly took place thereafter eventually ruined his career... if I remember correctly.

Again, always watch your back. Some people who have enough money in the bank hire lawyers to watch their own lawyers. It's dog-eat-dog, gentlemen.

Sincerely,
G