This is why I call Charlotte hater city.. lol..Lawd Help us.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
http://nticemusic.com/music-2/where-was-the-love/

First thats the link to a review on an awards thing we just had here.
Second the worter has observed what I have been watching for a couple of decades.
Thirdly, its why I do Carolina Cuts.
Make no mistake some illmembers here were nominated, jayville I think and definately jay Hask.
Nitars Reaves I play frequently on the show was up and lots of other true talent..

Heres the rub in the form of a story I tell frequently..:

I went to the essence festifal in the ATL before TI was too far beyond the ATL.

They announced him and the crowd went nuts, I was in the upper deck of the georgia dome and it was literally bouncing, like the concrete was , I was nervous...I thought to myself then that Charlotte is NEVER going to give this much love to one of our own, its not in the culture..

Trying to chnage that with the show, but anyway this is a good example.

"Where was the LOVE?

written by Maynetayn

I’ve frequented many local shows and music events in Charlotte, NC. I would attend a show either because there was an act I really wanted to see or just to support the area talent. One concern that has remained constant through the years is, Charlotteans do not show much love. I’m not saying go out and start fan clubs for area talent, but at least support their product by buying a show ticket or merchandise.

One of the most recent events I had the pleasure of attending was the 5th Annual Queen City Awards on

Dec 10, 2011. It was a “star-studded” event that presented many networking opportunities. Everyone from radio stations to image consultants were in the building. I loved the atmosphere that was set up with 2 giant screens, banquet style floor seating, and red carpet with all the flashing lights. If I were a critic, I could mention a few things that needed improvement but the event has come a long way in the 5 year of its existence. However, on such aspecial night why was there such an absence of love and support amongst peers.

There were many great performances from categories of Rock, Country, R&B, and Hip Hop. One of the most memorable performances was from Hip Hop artist, Young S Dub. He gave the audience a visual interpretation of his inner struggle with a well-directed video just before his performance. The intro track had me fixated on every hand gesture and movement he made as he walk down the steps into the audience. His other song selections were “Its a Movie” and “Cam Newton”. With such a great performance, I was shocked to look around the arena to see many of the people unmoved by the energy he brought on stage. Where was the Love?

The Country and Rock performances clearly received appreciation and support from the audience. An audience of which 95% of the people would never tune into Kiss 95.1 or WSOC 103.7. My theory is that subconsciously, they wanted those artists to feel welcomed and comfortable in a venue full of urban lifestyle. Throughout the night, the audience neglected their own and showed support to the unknown. It was weird to say the least. I witnessed ‘reversed ignorance.’
"

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
That's a good point. I can see that being all over the place really because it's just habit; people will go nuts for big stars rather than their own local talent, whereas it should be the other way around. Whether it's Carolina Cuts, or IllMuzik, I'd rather see our own getting the spotlight instead of a big name.

This is why there will be thousands of hits daily for some bullshit hip hop gossip site and not for a site like this.

But back on topic, I've seen it here many times. Local acts performing and people could care less. Again, this is because they see and know the big names 24/7.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i have a video recording of 9 up and coming rappers performing at Westbury College in Long Island, NY way back in the early 90s... they tried their best to get the crowd on their side, but they were booed off stage, bcuz everyone wanted MC Lyte to perform.. that was when her song "Ruff Neck" was the hot song of the summer.

those 9 brothers, were the Wu Tang Clan... people are idiots sometimes... dickriders ALL the time, when it comes to famous people.

da relic

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
^ Most acts start by getting booed off stage..part of the "paying your dues" I guess...

I bet every single person who was in that crowd would say "yo..I saw them in Westbury...shit was crazy....I saw them niggas before they got big..." But would fail to mention that the person was responsible for booing them because they weren't famous.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Kast at FAMU in 93? That must have been EPIC....

When I was rappin, every time I opened up for some one I could actually hear the people talking shit, especially since I don't really look like a rapper... I loved it though cause more times than not after the first song the shit talking and taunting would stop... I always made sure I did my most lyrical shit off rip though.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
my girl Nicki gettin it in at a 2006 Ol' School Ceremony... i took these flix bcuz she was fine... but no one cared who they were... we were there to see UTFO, Roxanne Shante, Keith Murray, Kool Herc, and whoever else was there... i saved these on cd, and checked them for the 1st time this year... i got 5 shots of her... CRAZY! lol

319649_10150925418615422_570205421_21452000_1881301156_n.jpg

309590_10150925426205422_570205421_21452021_1987361384_n.jpg

da relic

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
^ Most acts start by getting booed off stage..part of the "paying your dues" I guess...

I bet every single person who was in that crowd would say "yo..I saw them in Westbury...shit was crazy....I saw them niggas before they got big..." But would fail to mention that the person was responsible for booing them because they weren't famous.

you aint lyin! lol

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
i have a tape recording of 9 up and coming rappers performing at Westbury College in Long Island, NY way back in the early 90s... they tried their best to get the crowd on their side, but they were booed off stage, bcuz everyone wanted MC Lyte to perform.. that was when her song "Ruff Neck" was the hot song of the summer.

those 9 brothers, were the Wu Tang Clan... people are idiots sometimes... dickriders ALL the time, when it comes to famous people.

da relic

DAAAAYAM. Thats some funny shit right here.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
It's part of the game and part of the process. You have to keep in mind that the price of recording equipment has dropped to the point that "anyone" can "make music".

Add to that, the fact that people with no apparent skills are making songs on their laptop that gained millions of views leading to deals only fuels that discussion.

We live in an era where the bar/standard is so LOW that the fan in the crowd feels literally feels like they are better than the artist on the stage. This is the reality.

Using a personal example from Illmuzik. Fade gave me a shot years ago to let me post a series of articles called "Blowing Up From the Basement" to help out members of the site. Some Illmuzik guys showed love and still do to this day. The majority didn't really check for it.
I took those SAME articles and presented them to be allowed to speak on panels with Wendy Day, Julia Beverly and many others and even land a recurring segment on SIRIUS XM based on those SAME articles lol.

It's all part of the game *but* to get around that you have to be a leader in your city/state/town or hood and put others on. I like what Relic is doing with Carolina Cuts and more of us should do the same in our areas.