This is all that is wrong with hip-hop!

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
@Loubez Ya personally if i dont like an artist i just dont listen. If wayne wasnt popular there would most likely be some other person that wasnt really saying anything to take his place. I would rather see artists like skyzoo or torae making money and getting the props they deserve,

Yeah DP, someone was trying to say that...Your arguement is flawed becuase you are basing it on a false assumption that the sole purpose or real true blue hip hop is to raise awareness...

Hip hop....started out in the park...they used to do it in the dark...

And waaaaaaay before shit was socially concious it was fun...I love how guys just skip to 89-90 as the begining of hip hop...BEP they are hip hop bro, they're B Boys for chrissake lol, remember if your were a B Boy back in the daty you didnt need a deadly mic game to be a down with the culture...

You all need to consider for a moment that maybe, just maaaaaaybe, the whole concious movement was just a fad and not the quintessential definition of what hip hop is and should be just because it was the soundtrack to one of the coolest times in your life...

Step back and have some perspective, cause seriously at the end of the day a 30+ white guy from the midwest isnt gonna qualify whats hip hop and what aint...not my opinion, just the nature of the culture bro

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
@LouBez

Well nice attempt at a burn I suppose :)

just because it was the soundtrack to one of the coolest times in your life...

Interestingly enough, it wasn't.

Step back and have some perspective, cause seriously at the end of the day a 30+ white guy from the midwest isnt gonna qualify whats hip hop and what aint

nice :)

I think you are still missing my point however. The point is music as a whole should transcend culture and it should mean something. Stuff Bob Dylan wrote in the 60's is still relevant today. The stuff Common and Jay-Z are doing today will still be relevant in 20 years. The stuff t-pain does today will NOT be. Music is powerful and we should use it to enhance culture. Not to create a bunch of gangsta wannbe's. If you disagree with that, then sorry. I would take a long hard look at why you are creating music.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
i highly doubt common and jz are relevant in 20 years from now hehe Just look at how relevant all the artist from 20 years ago are now...

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Why would that be ? I think that a lot of such relevance is overrated. If the concensus grows with saturating the market with bs then in 20 years from now, no artist is really relevant, just temporarly hype.

I mean, how relevant is russel simmons ? Plenty of big heads will get trampled by the next big thing so all of this is just pure speculation and personal preferences.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I agree that its "pure speculation and personal preferences". I mean nobody knows what the future holds but judging off events of the past, somethings are safe to forecast.

As for Russell Simmons, his relevancy stems from hip hop and it has put him in a place where he can contact people and influence people that the average person couldn't even get on the phone. It has nothing to do with the music industry but it is a product of it.

Check this out...and it's his relevancy that will get him exactly what he wants.
http://www.woio.com/story/16320041/russell-simmons-protest-loews

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
i highly doubt common and jz are relevant in 20 years from now hehe Just look at how relevant all the artist from 20 years ago are now...

I distinctly remember when people said this about Dr Dre and Snoop back in 91 and look at them now, shit the chronic hit 20 yrs old next year tho where the FUCK IS DETOX. IJS. When timeless music is made relevancy is a non discussion. And Jay and Common both make music that can be considered timeless. And Russell Simmons, You cant mention Hip Hop nor fashion without even uttering Uncle Russ some people still Think he owns Def Jam homie.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Russel simmons imo, just isnt that relevant in the music currently, not as it was 20 years ago. Whatever his exploits are, its not an addition to the current catalog.

Just think about how deteriorated artist/bands have become over the last 20 years. Those that have been in the spotlight for years are now confined to the same fans back then with hardly new material. Those artist are doing shows and thats pretty much it... Just ask a 14 year old how significant Prince is now or Phil Collins etc. Even with such allure they wont get that recognition years from now.

Ok, Madonna just signed up for 3 more albums...