Think I can get away with...

Many artists have their own websites with contact info for the agent.
If you are getting in touch about a business venture like the release of an OFFICIAL remix album where they can get a cut of the profits or whatever, depending on what the negotiated deal is, then there are ways to get in touch.
Booking agents, managers, etc. You have to go through these people in many cases to get to the artist. On a couple occasions I arranged deals through the managers. Thats not to say I dont think some managers are self serving peices of shit, but regardless, there are avenues. If an artist is signed to a label, then start there.
If you are a professional business person with a valid business deal then sometimes arrangements can be made. Maybe it cant be made, but you dont know till you ask, or at least try and find a way to get in touch and discuss it.
All that aside, its just good manners. And its professional.
As for it being a free download, then none of what I said even applies. But when money is involved then you have to do things right, or be prepared to pay the price if a good income is generated from other peoples work.

On a legal note, I think that if even free downloads are being used in a way to bring traffic and make sales on another product, then technically, the tracks are promotional for your brand and an artist could ask for compensation and even a cut of the revenue generated by traffic brought by the free download.