The Producer : The Slave Of Sample?

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
there are a few things u can do... but one thing u MUST do is have a recording device with u. AT ALL TIMES:

leave ur house. go outside, take a drive, walk in the park, or even ride the train or the bus. that can spur a whole slew of ideas.

go thru ur unfinished trx. listen to them, and see if u got any new ideas or changes u would like to do to them. (my song "WHAT R U FITIN 4" sat in my machine for 3 years. noone wanted the beat. finally, i sat down with it, and wrote a hot song to it).

listen to some records, tapes, cds, etc... sometimes listening to others spur u on.

go to tha CLUB! open mics, beat battles, and other shows. watchin ur fellow man/woman doin the damn thing always gets me goin.

ultimately, u dont hafta be creative EVERY day. sometimes u do need to take a break from it all. in due time, the juices will be flowin again, and ull be back in ur studio, hammerin away. just dont leave that digital recorder home! ull be kickin urself in the ass later.

da relic

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Nnxt said:
Thats an opinion not a fact.

When i can't create i draw, take a walk or just take a break or just dive into another style of music. I dont go to sampling. And that Everyone will end up going to a sample that might you but mos def not me

word. If I cant make a beat or write a super fresh doo doo funky rhyme,,lol,,I draw. I'll have to post some of my nerdy drawings up. Gues what "Last Son of Krypton" Likes to draw,,,,lol

but yeah, I wanna compose more oif my beats, I'm just waitin on the loot for some keys.

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
trebeatz said:
yeah man i hate it when people brag about "100% composed" its like man, have you ever tried chopping the shit out of a record and making something totally new, in my opinion thats harder than composing a beat, when ur composing its like, okay, i want the next note higher to compliment this, when ur choppin ur like oh shit, and u gotta go look for it you know, some people just see sampling as getting a cool loop and puttin drums on it, like collosus said, when u take sampling to certain levels, it's in my opinion harder than composing a beat

i can feel that. i compose all of my beats. i've tried sampling (still trying for that matter), and it's hard as fuck. just can't seem to get it right. haven't been sucessful yet.

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^ i feel you

composed music isnt even traditional hip hop, IMO. ill listen to any arguments to the contrary, but from the beginning this music has been sampled. Think about the beginning of hip hop... djs playing breaks for parties, mcees holding the mic.... purely live, completely derivative, no lil jon synths, no d4l cheesy tunes, just records and ryhmes. thats what it should be.

Records and rhymes. Back to basics.

aklaim

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
ColossusBeatfix said:
^ i feel you

composed music isnt even traditional hip hop, IMO. ill listen to any arguments to the contrary, but from the beginning this music has been sampled. Think about the beginning of hip hop... djs playing breaks for parties, mcees holding the mic.... purely live, completely derivative, no lil jon synths, no d4l cheesy tunes, just records and ryhmes. thats what it should be.

Records and rhymes. Back to basics.

i couldn't disagree more. i think to further any form of music you can't just stick to the basics. i love sampling, but original music is the shit.

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
Nnxt said:
lol, even your taking it the wrong way sigh.. I can sample, i like sampling.. its just never something i've used to get out of a writers block is what i was stating. Sampling is great, i have no issue with flipping or chopping whatever kind of sampling i dont understand why people are taking what im saying lefty.

Alright, now i understand your point

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
a producer is a master at samplin not a slave
it's all about perspective...

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
Solace said:
Sampling And Composing Is A Skill....
I know niggaz that could compose the hell out of a beat but chop a sample worth shit to make some hot shit... i aint talkin bout chopin out loops im talking bout chopping out like mad pieces like 40 pieces 1/16th 1/8th 1/4 whatever and just make some hot shit...

And Vice Versa Alot Of Dudes Could Chop Some Shit But Can't Compose A Track Worth Anything.

So They Both Are Equal And If You Can Do Both Good All The Better Cause Then U Can Gel The Too...

I Also Wanna Say.... I Hate ThoseDudes That Be On That Bull Shit Like I Compose Only 100% I Don't Use Sample Like That Makes Them Better... Scott Storch Said Some Shit To That Effect Like... Suck MY DICK

Storch is a LIE, That Dre track he made (Lil Piano layer) is a STRAIGHT SAMPLE only problem is i forgot exactly what album i heard it on. all he did was replay it and make it sound Cleaner.

Why hate people that say all they do is compose i mean since traditional Sampling is using bits and pieces of Ones Composition anyway whats the problem with them being proud of what they do? Would be no Different if a Sampler said " Nah i dont make keyboard beats im stright gritty" thats him being him who cares? I really think people take things to Heart way to much. If you take it as them being better (in the industry) to a point it does. If your looking at it from just beatmakers perspective then no. if your looking it at from the labels/companies eyes then yes. They dont have to split the rights or pay anyone to use there work. Your lookin at it from one way he's lookin at it from another im sure.

Why do (some) samplers get take offense when a composer goes i dont need to sample If they dont need it they dont need get off there back..
lol why hate the composer when thats what were sampling anyway (composers)

I mean just me i love when a company im working with stops the track pulls out a note pad and ask "ok who did you use samples from" and i say "none" Nothing wrong with that people are proud of what they do let em be.

off Topic - what is hitek doing these days ( besides the aftermath thing) i aint heard anything in a while

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Bub$$$ said:
i couldn't disagree more. i think to further any form of music you can't just stick to the basics. i love sampling, but original music is the shit.

see, thats the thing. just because you sample doesnt mean you stick to the basics. many samplers take the music to the same creative heights as composers. Sampling doesnt just mean looping up a sample and adding drums to it. Think about all the aspects of hip hop culture that are intrinsically linked with the process of sampling, which fall by the way when everyone starts saying 'i compose all my work, unlike you samplers." Digging would be lost, and the record collecting culture and market would diminish dramatically. hiphop becomes much cleaner and more perfect, no more vinyl warmth or crackle.

and another thing: if this type of hiphop takes over, djs as the backbone of hiphop groups become obsolete. I mean, its ironic that groups press their songs onto wax, get vocals custom pressed onto wax, for the sole purpose of scratching them.

im not attacking composers, i am not questioning the validity of anyones beatmaking method, im simply arguing for a symbiotic and mutually beneficial relationship between the two styles.

i would also love to see sampling consistently veiwed on a creative level with anything else. too many 'comPOSERS' keep saying that sampling isnt really making beats.

This has been another Colossus PSA/rant.

peace

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Dantson said:
I agree with you there.... But at the same time... Doesn't that sample come FROM a composed song?

composed song from a better time, there is next to none on good music coming out, think about it, no good rock EVER comes out anymore, nothin like it used to be, that's why i like sampling so much, these samples come from composed songs, but songs composed in a better time musically

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
trebeatz said:
composed song from a better time, there is next to none on good music coming out, think about it, no good rock EVER comes out anymore, nothin like it used to be, that's why i like sampling so much, these samples come from composed songs, but songs composed in a better time musically

none really the market, yea thats true. But there are still alot of Composers that make that good ol Music.

if you get out alittle more man you run into all kinds of older heads that still make that kind of music (they do it for themselves) they still have the old gear. the old mixers, old amps etc. One thing i think is killing that Feel that everyone loves is Quantization everyone is trying to be to perfect.

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
I wish The Roots would come out with a new album, but with no samples or interpolations.... Keep the feel of that good music, but by ORIGINALLY creating that new music. I love when ?uestlove comes with that bugged-out shit (you know.... those good-ass tracks that he used for snippettes at the end of the songs on "Electric Circus" and shit like that.)

I think if they made an album of just good ass music, with enough original content good enough to be mistaken for an older record that's sample-worthy, THAT shit would start a new trend. At least, I hope it would.

Hey trebeatz, what kind of rock are you talking about? Recently I find myself digging farther and farther back in the classic rock genre... I wanna grab that new David Gilmour album though. And I believe that Jethro Tull is rerecording the "Aqualung" album, I think. Aside from that, I have to agree with you.

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Nnxt said:
none really the market, yea thats true. But there are still alot of Composers that make that good ol Music.

if you get out alittle more man you run into all kinds of older heads that still make that kind of music (they do it for themselves) they still have the old gear. the old mixers, old amps etc. One thing i think is killing that Feel that everyone loves is Quantization everyone is trying to be to perfect.

im not really talking about hip hop, i beleive there is still SOME good composed hip hop coming out, i am speaking from more of a sampling material perspective

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Dantson said:
Hey trebeatz, what kind of rock are you talking about? Recently I find myself digging farther and farther back in the classic rock genre... I wanna grab that new David Gilmour album though. And I believe that Jethro Tull is rerecording the "Aqualung" album, I think. Aside from that, I have to agree with you.

man, i can pick up just about any old rock record and u can find some good samples, and most of the time, good samples exist because the music is good, it just seems that like all rock had a way different feel, like how often are u gonna find some dope piano melodies in todays rock? you know what i mean

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
trebeatz said:
im not really talking about hip hop, i beleive there is still SOME good composed hip hop coming out, i am speaking from more of a sampling material perspective

Yea im talkin about composed Music (not hiphop) Kinda like the old Soul back when ya mom was 14 16 etc thats what im talkin about that Music.

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
trebeatz said:
man, i can pick up just about any old rock record and u can find some good samples, and most of the time, good samples exist because the music is good, it just seems that like all rock had a way different feel, like how often are u gonna find some dope piano melodies in todays rock? you know what i mean

I totally feel ya. I'd love to do an album today that my parent's generation would honestly say they enjoy it. I'm starting to wish I was a fucking hippie. It seems like the over-reverberated snare of the 80's signified the decline of music, with the exception of a few artists... But the ratio of good to bad was so unbalanced post 1982 that it should almost not count just by default.

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
ColossusBeatfix said:
personally i feel a lot of 80s stuff...not ALl... but some.

It has a different set of emotions in it though.

I guess I meant that because all of my heroes pre-80's sounded so different in the 80's that it just threw me off. I expected more from them.

Hell, if it was all in the sake of progress, who the fuck cares if I didnt like it. Almost ANYTHING for the sake of progress is allowable.