The new Technics 1200 is on the way!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
sl-1200GAE-1.jpg

Panasonic announced a few months back that they were working on some sort of turntable, mainly for high-end audio, but now they've just come out with some great news:

A new Technics 1200!!!

http://www.technics.com/us/introduction/hifi-direct-drive-turntable-system-sl-1200gae/

At first it's going to be the 1200GAE,which will be a special edition released this summer, but then by the end of the year they're going to have the 1200G line. They didn't specify the price, so hopefully it's not over the top.

Here are some specs:

All New Design for Redefining the Direct Drive Turntable
Twin-Rotor Surface-Facing Direct Drive Motor
Direct Drive Motor Controller
High Sensitive Tonearm
Brass-Top Turntable Platter
Insulator

Technics Definitive Design
Inherited SL-1200 Series
Heavy Aluminium Top Plate

Turntable Speeds
33 1/3 rpm, 45 rpm, 78 rpm

Variable Range Pitch
±8%, ±16%

Dimensions & Weight
W: 453 mm (17-27/32 inch) H: 170 mm (6-11/16 inch) D: 372 mm (14-21/32 inch)
Approx. 18 kg (39.7 lbs ) *Tentative *Height including dust cover

Terminal
Phono Output x 1 / SIGNAL GND x 1

sl-1200GAE-2-1280x602.jpg

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
This could improve my DJ game... a late Christmas gift. :rolleyes:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I'm glad to see the +/- 16 on the pitch and 78 speed! I just wish they'd announce the price.

The thing is, they could market it towards "high-end" but still aim it at DJs. If they come out and say they're each $1500 then right there they will lose a lot of business, since the 1200 was always the industry standard for DJs. But if they put it at a decent price then I'll bet many people would buy them, some even just to have a pair of extra turntables.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I'd buy one if I didn't have one already. Looks reallll nice.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Jazzy Jeff makes good points about the 1200 not being made for the DJ, and Technics not supporting the DJ:

"Everyone is posting the return of the 1200. I have a different feeling about this. Trust me these have been the cornerstone of every DJ for the past 30 years and I don't know how life would have been without them...BUT they were never intended for us to DJ on...they never really gave support to the DJ community. They have been discontinued and relaunched 100 times even if it has been urban legend. I bought my 1st pair for $245.00 from Sound of Market in Philly and saw them get to over $1000.00 because of the fear they would go away forever. Vestex,Stanton ect have tried to replace them but never quite could. Then the patent runs out and we get the Pioneer Turntable which with my eyes closed I can't tell the difference...costing less than half the price with all the little upgrades and from a company that kinda gives a shit about DJs! So before I get super hyped about the return of the 1200...lemme make sure they're gonna care about who's using them and they're not $2000.00!!! Time will tell!!! Just MY thoughts!"

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
but now I can go dig for some old secondhand models when these new babys are being released.
That's the thing. Second hand is good, and then find someone to fix them up for you, but when you add that all up, is it going to be about the same price as a new 1200?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
A few years back I was buying a new pair so I thought of the MK2 but I was able to afford the M5G so I got those instead. I'm assuming that's the same mentality today where only people that can afford them will buy them (rather than just put it on credit).

The other thing is, if they market it towards deejays then I don't think the high-end users will want to go near it. However, Technics should know that deejays are their bread and butter. Why else would you need +/- 16 pitch? That's obviously for deejays.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
So there's word that apparently even the regular model will be $4000!!! Still doesn't make sense. Another thing is with this pic below, why would the power connector be positioned like that? I'm assuming they're thinking about deejays putting them in a road case or something.

technics-sl-1200-gae.jpg

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206
So there's word that apparently even the regular model will be $4000!!! Still doesn't make sense. Another thing is with this pic below, why would the power connector be positioned like that? I'm assuming they're thinking about deejays putting them in a road case or something.

View attachment 4144

UH UH... man, surely companies like them know the difference between a consumer and a rich fanatic? Im already having a hard time saving up for a second one. haha $4 geez? come on man, get real, Im pretty sure a lot of people will buy the older ones if they continued the production instead.

or maybe im wrong and a lot would still get on this. oh well....

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Another theory could be that they're just throwing that price out there to see people's reactions, then put a regular price when they release it. Or maybe they plan on making another version for the cheaper audience? Either way, who is going to spend that much? C'mon now.