the future of sampling?

dj ShorTbuS

Cold Get Retarded
ill o.g.
as im sure most of you have all noticed a pretty healthy percentage of the records being sampled nowadays are from the seventies and early eighties which makes those records about 20-30 years old. what current artists that are putting out records now do you think future samplers will be out digging for in 20-30 years? or, do you think that the old school soul, funk, r&b and such will be timeless and get sampled as long as sampling is around? this is something i was thinking about the other day so post your replies please. peace.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
i think more hiphop producers are gona have to start doin original stuff. cuz these old records are all gettin sampled and overdone. who knows, mayb in the future, all hiphop producers will like have a funk band or sumtin lol

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i think sampling will be timeless for the reason that there will always be someone who'll flip a sample in a completely different and it'll be completely fresh. i think that the bulk of the sampling that'll be done will be done on the underground circuit anyway. with having the mainstream being complete diluted and populated with water down, lack of creativity, just to get a check, poor excuse for hip hop flooding the scene like it is now, i think it'll be a perfect balance. i'ma definite fan of sample mainly because there's a feeling in some samples that you simply couldnt obtain, even if it was made with live instrumentation. samples have a character that can't be recreated in any other fashion, it just wouldnt be the same. in 20-30 years, i definitely think sampling will be rollig strong because more and more producers and willing to outside the box of just sampling, funk, r&b, or any music made by a black artist, and finding hot samples from orchestra, folk, movie soundtracks, west indian and numerous other places. it's not just james brown and funkadelic that's gettin sampled anymore, samples are coming from any and everywhere. my advice, jus sit back and enjoy the music dawg. one.

H

Holla

Sampling is endless because there's so much out there other than R&B soul funk or whatever. Thats the fun thing about it...flipping something that no one has heard before. Thats what I do, search for unheard music, different eras, ethnicities, the whole thing. It doesnst have to stop at just soul funk. I agree with trez because music sampling is boundless because theres so much out there.

ill o.g.
I think it will be timeless like everybody said. But i think there will be people samplin stuff from around this time too. If you ask me, i think people will probly be sampling like:
-Alicia Keys
-Norah Jones
-Usher (from a couple years ago)

I dont know. Its hard to say. Cuz right now everything is fallin apart.

I really hope that the 'Dark Times' that Hip-Hop is going through right now is just a stage. Cuz if it isnt, ill probly hafto join the Marines or work at mcdonalds for the rest of my life.

dj ShorTbuS

Cold Get Retarded
ill o.g.
yo i definitely feel you guys on the fact that there's more to sample from than just soul and funk and such. i dig for whatever has sounds on it, old or new, popular or never heard of. i was just throwing those genres out as examples since they seem to be the most commonly sampled. also like trez260 said someone will flip the same worn out sample a completely different way than the next guy so i guess it doesn't really matter. peace.

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
Hopefully people will continue to sample whatever from whenever, there will always be some hidden stockpile of forgotten music out there with a sample to be flipped in a new way. When sampling dies, to me, hip-hop dies. I feel that the love of hip-hop actually nurtures a love of all music and the need to discover forgotten gems is priceless....

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
I can't wait till someone starts flipping like polka, country, bizarre ethnic music, etc... and flips it in a way that is just WHOA. not really on the dj shadow/prefuse 73 style but more on the traditional sampling manner...

I wanna see DJ Premier yank a damn polka sample!!!

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
shit, we already samplin from video games, from pac man, to mario brothers..where's it gonna stop??..lol. hip hop will live forever, beleive and have faith in that. fa sho. peace.