The College Droput: your thoughts on Kanye's solo effort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim D

Bitchn' Bout IRS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Kanye West - College Dropout

Aight, how many of u have copped this album? I got it the other day and i think its pretty hot. The beats are sick even though he aint the best rapper the album is still strong. What you guys think?

Kanye is a funny mother fucker he got some lines that just make me laugh

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
its alright... it wasnt a banger like i was hoping for but its solid. i hate his boastful tone... its annoying. every song has a line a about how dope he thinks he is and how arrogant he is and how proud he is of that arrogance... its a little tiresome.

overall, though, it is a very solid album. its a shame i have already heard 75% of these, however.

by the way- mos def DID NOT BRING IT on "Two Words"- and niether did kweli....BUT COMMON SURE SNAPPED!common will eat jay for breakfast, nas for lunch, canibus for dinner, and pick his teeth with eminem if they ever battled, i now am fully convinced of this.....

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I didnt have high expectations in tha 1st place, but i like some of tha beats...as for tha lyrics: straight doodoo if you ask me...You know what really gets me tho? I saw this big drawn out interview slash promotion thing on MTV for a sec when i flipin' through tha shitty channels and he was all sayin how if he was as a good of a rapper as he is a producer he would murder tha game....I pretty much laughed at that, since he really isnt that ill!...I mean cummon!?!?!....Hes got some hot beats here and there, but nothin outa tha ordinary, and his shit definitly isnt worth being that dam honery about....

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
my 2 cents

I personally like the album more for what he is trying to do than what he is trying to say. Lets face it I think most of us in here have an appreciation of true musical value in hip hop. But we are not being played on the radio.(yet!!) Right now garbage rappers with with nothing to say on whack ass beats are being played. Its a cycle that has to happen almost like the diarrhea of the hip hop game.
I think West represents a changing of the guard. Even though it may not be the best shit out. At least its some good quality music that is getting MAJOR air play. What other quality hip hop is getting major airplay these days besides outkast.

on a personal tip
I can see some aspects of myself in kanye west as far as background Being a black college student(actually grad student) from the hood etc... I feel I can relate to his struggle. It’s almost like living a double life.
I can definalty feel that.

Just my 2 cents

class....

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Not sure if yer response was partialy towards what i said, but if it was thats not why i said what i said...I wasnt even considering myself in tha equation as to getting airplay and all that...I was simply analyzing kanye's album and what he said on tv about his infamous album...I do think hes talented, but i just dont feel ready to put him on blast considering my take on what hes contributing to hiphop...Cuz personally, when i hear his stuff on tha radio, im not like "WOW!, Thats some ill shit!!!"....Its more like, "Yeah thats a tight beat, but ive heard this like 80 timez and his lyrics blow".....

T

The Bastard

I WAS A LITTLE DISAPOINTED IN IT AT FIRST CUZ LIKE A LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE I WAS EXPECTING BANGERS BUT AFTER I LISTENED TO IT A FEW TIMES AND REALIZED HIS AIM WAS NOT TO RAP ABOUT WHAT A LOT O F RAPPERS ARE RHYMIN ABOUT AND HIS RHYMES ARE ABOUT MORE POSITIVE SHIT I THOUGHT IT WAS PRETTY ORIGINAL AND THE CD KINDA GREW ON ME I GUESS ITS CUZ I CAN RELATE TO IT

nobodyfamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i like it, hes witty and funny, thats what he was trying to do, and he did it, so its kool

i mean i spent 400 bucks on this, just to be like ni99a u aint up on this

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Originally posted by Cold Truth
BUT COMMON SURE SNAPPED!common will eat jay for breakfast, nas for lunch, canibus for dinner, and pick his teeth with eminem if they ever battled, i now am fully convinced of this..... [/B]

Hell nah! Eminem would murder Common and anyother rapper out there in a battle, freestyle or written. People are scared to give Em the credit he deserves because he's white. And you said that before about Common eating MC's for breakfast. Get a new line homie.

T

The Bastard

yo p boy producer u gunna get that new playboy with sable and torrie wilson

K.O.

Watch out 4 the KnockOut
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I think the album is hot. He's not the best rapper but his beat making skills and his positive messages make up for what he lacks in rapping skills, he's pretty good. He's different and different sells more than the same ol same ol any day.

in response to common eatin all those other mc's for breakfast or lunch whatever you said......he probably would!

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
in regards to Mos Def not bringin it on Two Words?? ARE YOU CRAZY???

Mos Def killed it!! Kanye killed it!!! The ony dissapointment on that track in my opinion was Freeway.

Kweli and Common? Where are you pulling them from?? I have yet to hear a version of Two Words with them on it!?!?!

Anyways, Two Words is one of my favorite tracks on the entire album!

If any of y'all are in the Toronto area, come check out Kanye West at The Docks, on Saturday February 28th!! Alonside myself, DJ Swivel and Toronto's #1 DJ, BABY YU!!! check out www.massappealent.net for more info

Streetwize

Beat Architects !
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 49
no way, freeway murdered much more than kanye. mos def was nice on it too.

but overall, this album is ehh, i hate kanye, his delivery is horrible and hes an arrogant muthafucker. hes not humble at all. his beats use the kick and clap and his beats are boring apart from 2 or 3 max.

not even bothering to download it

Tim D

Bitchn' Bout IRS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Talib and Common are on the Get Em High joint, thats what he was refering to

Status
Not open for further replies.