The Best Tips I've Seen About Monitoring Your Mix

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
whts the point of monitoring... just use the patches in reason to do the eqs for you and adjust em a bit - why do u need fancy speakers and $100000 setups?

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
whts the point of monitoring... just use the patches in reason to do the eqs for you and adjust em a bit - why do u need fancy speakers and $100000 setups?

The patches in Reason are supposed to give you an idea of what your music will sound like in different enviroments (i.e. a car system, a cd player, blah blah blah ). The truth is, it cant give it to you accurately, it will only give you an idea of how it would sound. The reason for buying some good monitors is to know for sure how its gonna sound. I mean immatation crab meat tastes like crab but it's not and someone who eats alot of crab meat will know the difference. People who drink alot of pepsi can tell the difference between pepsi and coke ( I can't...lol ). People who critic alot of music can tell if it's eq'd, compressed, limited, expanded and whatever else right. Thats very important when you are trying to promote yourself. Your mix may sound great on your computer but when you play it on any other media, it could sound like crap.

You are right, it costs alot of money, but the investment is well worth it in the long run. You've got to have every edge you can get in this game. Using monitors to tune your mix is just one of many edges required as a producer. That is...unless you put a "play only in computer" advisory on your cd...lol

dac

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
If you get your levels adjusted right there's a new eq mastering program out that will harmonically optimize and balance your music with little to no effort. I didn't believe it til I bought it and I'm telling you it's the truth. I've went back and remastered some professionally mastered music with it and it sounded better than the original. This program will harmonically eq and balance your whole album if you batch load all your tracks. I run everything through it now that I cop'd it. Old school samples, drum samples you name it. I don't lay any wave file down with out using it.

After I export my songs in Reason I run it thru again to harmonically balance the whole track. Makes shit alot easier when I go do the final mix in the studio. All the engineer has to do is relevel shit and compress what needs to be compressed. It's already saved me 50 times what it cost in my last few studio sessions.

Time is money when you go to a bigger studio to mix your shit. We're in there dropin' vocals in no time with this program.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Tip 8

Those DT 770's are great. I had those Sony MDR 7506's and the DT's are way better in my opinion. Not so much because of the sound quality but just over all use. The DT's have a felt cushioned edge and you can wear those for hours with no problem. The Son'y are padded but no where as comfortable.

As far at the sound goes... it is pretty close to monitering with reference speakers for me because the headphones actually sit away from your ears instead of right on you ears like my Sony's do.Those also cup your ears well and they feel light because of the felt. They aren't as heavy to me as my Sony's are.

When you have really heavy bass notes, you can actually feel a ruble from the phones on your head but not to the point where it feels like it is damaging my ears. It is just a very different effect.

I give them a 10 personally. My boy got some off ebay for 150 but I chunked the whole 250 cuz I wanted them right there on the spot.

members online