The best monitors/headphones for mixing are...

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 545
The ones you're used to.

There is a lot of science and preference involved in what are actually 'best', and definitely clear things to look out for when finding your first pair.

But the important thing to realise, is the importance of how used you are to how things sound on your listening device.

If you've got a somewhat reasonably device for playback, and you listen to lots of music on them, you should be able to get a reasonable enough mix.

This came to mind as I'm wondering whether it's time to get new monitors, but I also concerned that I'm already 'used to' my monitors, so why risk shaking that up. And besides, there are not many places to go 'try out' monitors now.

Obviously, the more limited/poor your playback device is, the more difficult it'll be. But being used to how things sound on your listening device/in your room should help translate.

Love.

The ones you're used to.

There is a lot of science and preference involved in what are actually 'best', and definitely clear things to look out for when finding your first pair.

But the important thing to realise, is the importance of how used you are to how things sound on your listening device.

If you've got a somewhat reasonably device for playback, and you listen to lots of music on them, you should be able to get a reasonable enough mix.

This came to mind as I'm wondering whether it's time to get new monitors, but I also concerned that I'm already 'used to' my monitors, so why risk shaking that up. And besides, there are not many places to go 'try out' monitors now.

Obviously, the more limited/poor your playback device is, the more difficult it'll be. But being used to how things sound on your listening device/in your room should help translate.

Love.

Yeah I get ya, I’m still all in headphones as don’t want to scare the shit out of the elderly women living below me, might trigger world war 2 all over again.

Have wondered if mixing with my lonely obsolete monitors would at first help or hinder as I’m so used to everything in headphones.
Need a house in the middle of nowhere, music up not a care in the world

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Have wondered if mixing with my lonely obsolete monitors would at first help or hinder as I’m so used to everything in headphones.
Do you listen to music on your monitors? If so, then go for it.

For me, there was a couple of moments I had, where it became clear to me that I would rather move air than use headphones. I still find it the best.

I did enter a couple of beats I had to at least 'master' in my headpones, which turned out quite well. Felt they helped me better saturate without distortion. But they don't have any bass, but turned out good - was trying to go for 'if I can just about notice the bass it should be just about right --- another importance of knowing how things sound on your listening device.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Guess I’ve just gotta start using the monitors and go from there. @Iron Keys I don’t even use monitors to listen to music but should do, I bought them for a reason just got so used to that in your head feel with headphones
Yeah I grew to hate that in-your-head feel. That moment for me, ironically perhaps, happened during music college...

I was on my journey to college, and I just felt so 'trapped', caged by my fitted cap, my jacket, my headphones. Took the headphones off and just listened to the world around me whilst staring out of windows. That 3D vibe of sounds of different types happening all around. I think that coupled with the fact I was then always listening to music, it was good to have a break, and let my soul breathe. I also remember thinking how can my mind be free to have it's own organic musical thoughts, if I'm pummeling music into it. Add a minor sprinkling of, tutor gave us all individually a piece of music to listen to to expand our thoughts, he gave me John Cage 4'33. At first I was mega disappointed. But maybe I get why. Maybe it's not that deep.

But yeah, I still need and want to get a new good pair of headphones for travelling (recommendations welcome), but that's why I use monitors.

Last edited:
FYI, I know you didn't ask for my life story :woot:

Nah man, thanks for sharing, makes perfect sense. There is a danger of going overboard as I had a point where everywhere I went I had headphones on as I was soaking up more and more music but ignoring the world. Gotta have a balance but I also crave music when Im working shit loads and can’t wait to get the headphones on. It’s all good :cool:(y)