take ya time

wizard

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 141
i have to say: i'm tired of hearing 'yo i can make beats in 5 min 10min'!
that's all bull. time is a very important essence on creating a masterpiece.
the more time u take in ya craft, the better it will come out. who cares how fast a beat can be made. and truthfully beats can be arranged very very quickly, but to tune a beat and mix it down so it sounds good takes tim. i heard once, before when dr. dre wasn't so lazy, he used to take days or weeks to just find the right snare. and i myself, used to leave my mpc on for days to make a beat. the point is that i always used to come back to the beat and realize that this or that didn't fit, and then change it up. these days, new producers are not taking enough time on their production and it shows. that's why u hear a while lot of wack beats or a lot of producers biting styles so they can have it easy! take ya damn time and u will realize that the quality will be a whole lot better.
peace out 'n' 1 luv illmuzik!!!!

TheDeen

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
wizard said:
i heard once before when dr. dre wasnt so lazy he use to take days or weeks to just find the right snare!!!!

Why does everyone call Dre lazy now? He's a PRODUCER and that's what he does. Don't disrespect him for being above your level - I'm tired of that bullshit.

He isn't even my favorite producer but to say that someone like him is lazy is simply laughable. Dre is constantly putting out artists, managing Aftermath, and dropping hits; don't tell me that's easy.

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
TheDeen said:
Why does everyone call Dre lazy now? He's a PRODUCER and that's what he does. Don't disrespect him for being above your level - I'm tired of that bullshit.

He isn't even my favorite producer but to say that someone like him is lazy is simply laughable. Dre is constantly putting out artists, managing Aftermath, and dropping hits; don't tell me that's easy.

People don't understand the true meaning of a Producer its very different from being a beat maker.

~NW~

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
uh oh the age old debate is about to spark LOL....what came first the chicken or the egg?....what's better hardware or software?.....is a beatmaker superior to a producer or is there any difference?...before we start that check the threads pleaaaaz......ha anyhow yeah it pays to take your time but it's relative, and who knows something that sounds like they didnt take their time may have taken weeks too, it really is all about finish your beat the way you know it should sound, time is not really the factor though, showcase is good for feedback and adjusting to try to even get to Dr. Dre Level on beats......

B

BeatBoy

No offense but i really dont see it taking awhole week to do one beat.If you are working on a beat and you catch that vibe it shouldnt take no day or no week to lay one beat down.What make your beat wack is when you do a beat and you keep going back and back to keep changing it. Then you lose the essence of the beat and it start to get lame, Like jazze Pha once said I work quick because it's a feel, not a math problem. So time people just take making a beat alil to hard when its not they think about it to much instead of just doing it.Thats why alot of people by like i cant come up with a melody are it cant make a beat. Its because they just think about it to hard instead of just makin the beats. Like i said it shouldnt take a day to do a beat seriously i dont mean it should take 10 minutes but it definitely not going to take a day or a week to do a beat.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
depends on the beat people, their are differnt types of beats, things arent as black and white as you make them

Sure lean back may have taken 20min

but i bet every beat on Outkast ATliens album took more then a day..

Depends on the vibe, lets not turn this into a "im right your wrong" thread

P.S wizard can u edit the heading of this thread, those exlamtion marks are real annoying

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
classic said:
depends on the beat people, their are differnt types of beats, things arent as black and white as you make them

Sure lean back may have taken 20min

but i bet every beat on Outkast ATliens album took more then a day..

Depends on the vibe, lets not turn this into a "im right your wrong" thread

P.S wizard can u edit the heading of this thread, those exlamtion marks are real annoying
Very good examples... you hit the nail on the head Classic, that's sort of how I see it but getting out of a rushed feel is whats been said I think that the Jazze Phae quote is dead on too...if I gotta do too much thinking it kills the feel, oh btw I am an old Unix cat exclamation points or "bangs" like that are very offensive I agree delete some of them or whatever you can use that redface icon it would work too or the thumbs down everyone would still get your point and read the thread.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I agree with both of you above...

I tend to take a while on a track, usually after I think it is done Im comming back and editing or adding more to it.
I use hardware which is not an excuse but its a little longer process since its not made inside the mixing software itself.Then I go back and fool with stuff , of course record the artist, mix all that..so that takes time.

This is a frquent debate with no real right or wrong answer to it.You do it how you do it...
And as long as you take your time and use only hardware and analog tape then you are in the right...lol

S

Synz

TheDeen said:

Cosigns. Just because you cant thro together a hit, that'll make you 3.5mil ina month, dosnt make him lazy, just makes him above our level.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Synz said:
Cosigns. Just because you cant thro together a hit, that'll make you 3.5mil ina month, dosnt make him lazy, just makes him above our level.
See the other thing is this that maybe gets overlooked and this probably applies to most producers that are signed or getting bread on a regular......you have a purpose and a schedule, your beatmaking/producing is more or less project driven, you take someone like Dr. Dre he probably has all of the time in the world for his ideas to evolve into his overall project and I guarantee you just like you pull up the last pattern from fruity loops and as easy as that is....I guarantee he got those FORmula loops(20 years worth) and patterns all queued up on tape, and archived that he will use over and just switch a bassline or some melody sounds or re-arrange some drums....there is no reason for him to re-invent what's been proven.......for us, yeah its a longshot for an album placement on a known artist, so either you do this for yourself, your own projects and label or you just making music and keep perfecting your sound until you find the right artist

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
i undrstand what dudes are sayin but at the same if u want to suceed from a business standpint u gotta learn to work with SOME quickness.. its easy to take your time if no one is pressuring u to get somethin done done or you dont have a deadline ... when money gets involved , it changes everything, even a $50 beat u sell. as sson as cats are investin $ no matter how little or much .. they get all ancy and impateint

Perfect exampleLMAO: THe battle THAt comp .. everyone talks all types of shit and when it comes down to it niggaz dont want to put in their 10 bucks lol.. andthats only 10 dollars and look at all the drama that gets created out of that .. now imagine ur an indepenet artist payin me $200-$300 of your own hard eARNED CASH from ur shitty 9 to 5 for a beat. you would want that shit fast and proper...

edit : whoa wtf .. u can delete all those post i dont know how the fuc that happened lol!

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I understand feel you Ash makes sense if your getting paid to do a job you need to knock it out with as much quality as possible..
Theres a thread here about when to say enough, thats somthiin we can all get wraped up in thinkin something isnt done yet..Its gotta be done at somepoint tho and if your gettin paid to do it you cant fool around with deadlines...
Even with your own projects you got to get them out at somepoint...
I think wizard was sayin"I can crank out 50 beats in 30 minutes" is BS...

members online