synths (urban feel type)

M

Mcrob

which type of synth supports great urban feel sounds? What I mean by urban is like hip hop/r&b type of sounds.

M

Mcrob

It has like a nice analog sound feel? I was listening to a whole bunch of song. Till I heard "Frontin" by pharell and jay-z I knew that those sounds can make people dance....nahmean?

D

drew_petti

i think

all of the big boys use it...just blaze, timblaland, neptunes....

thick analog sounds...

i mean, that's what it is...an analog keyboard.....no sequencer....midi compatable...go to musiciansfriend.com and check out the specs....I love mine...I sample it into asr, and run with it...

you arent going to find all of the sounds that the neptunes use in one unit though....but this keyboard is a monster..it also comes in a rack unit...

M

Mcrob

Yeah I feel you. I don't want to get the same sounds as the neptunes. I don't want to sound like them. I want to sound like me

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
You cant get the same sounds as the neptunes.

All they do is ADD EFFECTS and tweak casio keyboards..lol..literally thats about all. I mean they have the triton and such..but thats all for show.

So do what they do...TWEAK cheap sounds until you get something you like...much software allows you to do that.

Reason has an anloag synth called subtraktor that uses the same formulas as those synths...check it out.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
no, they dont. they use moogs and nords and a Triton and live instruments, and tweak them as well.... most major producers these days have a variety of instruments and techniques they use, because unlike us they have the time and money to do that. i just read an interview in Remix mafgazine and they detailed their personal studios and there isnt a casio to be found. lets not give out false information based on assumptions we have. if we have information to share, then make sure that you have an actual source that is reliable first......

themucka

"The man behind the Hits"
ill o.g.
if you got the money to spend for a keybord with one midi channel.. the new moog is sick..... also the access virus c

i can also tell you for fact the neptunes use triton i go through it and here songs after songs they used it for (lead synth patch old analog)
for one

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
yeah, yeah, i know, but HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! read the frickin article!!!!!! they dont use JUST a triton!!!!!! they got other gear too!!!

M

Mcrob

I tried this synth the other day.... It's supports a lot of dance sounds. no urban sounds

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

The MC2000 is a virtual analogue synth, it makes whatever sounds you want it to (provided you want to make analogue sounds). Think of the squealing lead sound that Dre used in the early 90's...

Mcrob, you'll probably want to get something like a sound module which has drums, basses, leads, guitars, efx on it so that you have a wide palate of sounds to choose from; the MC2000 will limit you to only analogue sounds. My suggestions would be the Emu Proteus 2000, Triton, or Yamaha Motif.

Take care,

Nick

M

Mcrob

thanks a lot Nick aka vitaminman. I will check that synth out when I get the chance. I hope I will be able to find that synth.

ez
Rob

milLion

buildin'
ill o.g.
i might have to go check out that ms2000 -- i keep hearing good things about it too

B

BeatOff

If you buy a synth you can make whatever sound you want. Thats the purpose of a synth.

Waynyce

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Different boards have certain strenghths and weaknesses. Yamaha Motif has some nice acoustic sounds. Strings Horns Etc. Korg Triton has those bass and synth like sounds. Triton requires more tweaking in sequencer mode to get the sounds up to par though.

anthony m

ill o.g.
Its true that if you have a synth like the ms 2000 you can make almost any sound you want. My roomate had one, and theyre alot of fun to play around on. But as far as producing hip hop with the ms 2000 your a little more limited. Theyre perfect for producing trance or house, (and theyre ok for hip hop too.) But if you have limited funds, then i would suggest getting something a little more versatile for producing hip hop like a roland jv 1080. You can find em on ebay for about $400. It has tons of sounds, and theyre a little more organic sounding than a ms 2000, or jp8000. Thats just my 2 cents.....

B

Beatbrigade

old rolands are hot, roland xp series, rockwilder uses them all day and they are affordable too. i think dre used the xp 30 on the chronic

M

MuZiKaL21

Yo... I have a triton and the boards dope... There are a grip of sounds that other producers use, it's probably still the most widely used board in production. Whether that attracts you or not, that's a different story, but you can basically program almost any sound you want w/ it. Any one of the popular workstations can do that, but you won't get true analog sound. My next synths and modules in line are the ms 2000, motif rack. I keep hearing good things about the ms and the motif patches are top notch. Look, the ms 2000 won't break the bank and will provide you with some solid analog sounds.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
look the motif is a real piece you get into it for the sounds and the ability to edit, shidd you can even get samples of any synth and put it there and add effects and arps....I was going to get the analog card but I slept on it....maybe when I get a few $$$

members online