Stupid Question

• beat this! voting starts in...

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
Scratching

when i record scratching it has this really anoying hissing noise i think it might be my sound card but can soume body point me in the right direction

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
It probably has to do with your connections (how you connected you turntable to you computer) or the quality of your turntable... Sound editing programs, like CoolEdit, soundforge... can take that out partially, but your best bet would maybe be to buy yourself a better soundcard (well, if it's already good, maybe it has somethinf to do with the cables you use...buy yourself some better ones)

spin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
do you have your ground from the turntable connected somewhere?

TKNK

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
also invest in a good scratching needle like the stanton 500al or the shure 35cs.
they hav reduced noised,skipping and better tracking n full rich sound.

1d3nt1tY

Loop't N Blown
ill o.g.
no question is stupid bro, you are just tryin to get help and that's why these forums exist, along with many other things.

I will tell you that it can just be noise coming from the needle itself... or your connections. If those fail, try this:

If you have a high speed connection to the internet, make sure that it is not causing noise issues. My homie has a very loud hiss noise until he unplugs his cable internet from his setup due to a lack of proper grounding. Phone lines (DSL) can of course cause the same noise issues.

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
you can cut out your low frequencies on the recording, because you don't need much bass in a scratch. Like Spin said you might wanna check your ground. Also Try pluging your turntable into to the same outlet that you recorder is pluged into, sometimes if you don't do that, it can cause unwanted feeback. Don't ask me why, it's too much to explain, just try it and see if it works.

ill o.g.
Its definitely your ground from your turntable. If you got a mixer, ground it to the mixer. 99% of all mixers have a thing on the back made for grounding.

If you dont have a mixer, ground it to one of the bolts on the back of your computer.

Your turntable just needs to be grounded.

ill o.g.
HCTarks said:
best needle for skratchin --> shure m44-7

I have to agree with that. Some people think the ortofons can match it. they cant.

would suggest the shure M25C if your just sampling and not scratching though. and make sure you dont put too much weight on the tonearm, it will preserve your records longer.

TKNK

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
No comparison, hands down,
the Shure M44-7 is best needle created ask any REAL PRO DJ's. dj qbert