Studio mics upside down?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I've noticed a lot of people that have their studio microphones upside down. Does anyone here do that? What's the benefit?

I've seen some reasons being that it catches the vocals better, or it prevents the mic from overheating. Whether they're true or not, I'd be worried that it would fall. Especially with an expensive mic, I would imagine it being risky, no?

students_closeup_on_mic.jpg

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
i think it's the rap version of the "holding your gun sideways" syndrome... dunno if it decreases lyrical accuracy though.

Also, i think the 'overheat prevention' theory is only relevant to tube mics, but i'm pretty sure that's some bs too.

I read something about it being done that way out of tradition, it was started because it offers more floor space for performers without having the stand at your feet (hanging from ceiling).. pretty sure it's another pointless thing we just do because we remember it being done like that coughcoughreligioncough cough.

Last edited:

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
It's like he's cupping some balls, and chit-chatting with 'em.

in-this-corner.jpg

edit: was gonna post that Ghostface Supreme Clientele album cover with the caption " Tryin' to imitate the gawd "

But then I realized even he didn't do that fuckboy bullshit... ghostface held the mic like a grown-ass man.

Way to go tony

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Don't the mics screw into the stand? Why would it fall, yo?

Nasir Kingston

Beatmaker
If you place the mic correctly I don't think there is any chance of falling...I honestly don't get a lot of difference with rappers , however with people who actually sing and in home studio environment there could be a huge difference. Depending on the breathing of the person and also look at your floor and then look at you ceiling and think about which one is giving you more resonance it could actually be a good solution to place the mic upside down.

members online