:) discrete analog semi-modular desktops

se-boomstar-4075.jpg

4 models based on filter

-4075-classic Arp 2600
-5089-classic Moog 24db ladder
-SEM-classic Oberheim 12db
-303-classic Roland TB

http://www.studioelectronics.com/products/synths/boomstar/

Obviously, clever marketing here since they dont differ as much to the atc series where these 4 filterstypes were usable with one atc. Also, the atc has a digital envelope stage and these are discrete analog ones. Streetprice seems to be $799

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
lol well i would, i have the atc-1 with 303 and sem filter so i'd expand it with the 2600 boomstar. I never owned the taurus I or II but i have played them and even it being a real signature sound, SE got the semi-mod option and a load more parameters(feedback overdrive!). Both are phat monos but in my experience with either brand, moog is deep and polished but moog doesnt rip it like the se with a 303 filter. The atc burnes your inputs lol, -30pads are a must but my moog prodigy never got hot.

Anyway, i havent heard either 2 aside from vids, my recommendation is most probably correct when i state that the moog is good for pop stuff (but not limtited too) and the boomstars are instant acid machines.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
i have the first model atc-1 and it's different from what it should emulate, the moog isnt the best clone but the sem and 303 come really close. The thing that prevents it from being a close copy is the shitload of parameters the original sem and 303 didnt have. That being said, its discrete voicing is loud as fuck, -30 pads on is no joke. Bass sounds are thick, gritty, snappy and SE has a $200 dollar mod to replace the vca with a moog vca. Thats also the thing about SE, they got a good history for modding gear, which i didnt do because i paid the full price when they came out. You can get one these days for a lot less so modding would be a better option these days.

I'd pick the nova edition, arp like sine vco and fuzz overdrive. I think the main difference (aside from vco count) to the atc is that the SE series always sounded a bit more polished, out of the box they dont have the snappy envelopes like atc. The SE also doesnt have cross modulation which imo, offers more potential sound scaping.