Studio condenser mics

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hey im planning to buy a microphone for my home studio. I am looking at the 200.00 price range and i have narrowed my choices down to these three. Rode NT1a , Audio technica AT3035, and the AKG C2000B.

Which of the three is best to buy? It will be only used for vocals.

The mic will be plugged into my behringer MX1604a the phantom power on the board is 48+

Thanks

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Someone told me that the audio technica is really power hungry and that aside from the phantom power on a mixer board it might require an aditional amp.

Is this true?

H

Haterade

Go with the AKG. I have had/used all these mics, the AKG is the warmest, and since your pre's aren't the best in your mixer, it will sound the best when it hit's the recorder.

Also, if you can, get an external vocal channel (the Focusrite VoiceMaster Pro is a good cost-effective solution) for whatever mic you get, I've seen a lot of problems with Behringer mixers/equipment, probably due to the fact that there is NO QUALITY CONTROL on ANYTHING they sell... (Heard that one straight from the Behringer rep!)

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
I just sold a Audio Technica AT4033 w/shockmount and a AKG C3000B w/shockmount for $200 a piece on Ebay. Damn! I shouldv'e holla'd at you. I started the bidding at $100 I wouldv'e gave it to you for $150 your choice.

My opinion the AT4033 sounded WAY BETTER the AKG C3000B. The AKG sounded like a Piece of shit (thin, and had no presence)

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
MAD SCIENTIST! OMG man 150 ....:headbang: ah man words can not express what i feel. I wish there were more people selling mics like you. Only if the timing was right. But yeah i read an article on the akg c2000b and they said that akg mentioned this is best suited for background vocals, second for lead vocals. And i can't have that.

heres the link to that article http://emusician.com/ar/emusic_akg_4/index.htm
they mention it near the bottom where you see "VERY VOCAL" in caps before the paragraph.

So i think im going to stick with either the at3035 or the rode nt1-a. Im leaning towards the audcio technica at3035 due to the fact that it has some feature the rode doesn't. I don't mind buying a small preamp for 40 to 60 bucks to help out.

What do you guys recommend?

T

This Is Nitwit

I'm new...Hi. anyway, I've owned teh At3035, and own now the NT1-A...I find the NT1-A to be a better quality...but at the same time, back when I had teh 3035 i had a shitty preamp...so, i guess you decide...i think overall it's not gonna be a huge difference...it's a $200 mic...we're not talkin baby bottle here.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Dear Sober:

I believe you are selecting the AT3035 due to its filter switch, and its larger diaphragm (in comparison to the other two). The large diaphragm is key when capturing the human voice. Out of these three, if you are ONLY using the mic for vocals, I would suggest the AT3035.

Honestly, though, I would save my money and get an AKG C3000 model.

Sincerely,
God

members online