Sounds in Reason are kinda thin

template? wtf? We dont use no stinking templates.

Open reason, add mixer, then add instruments and away you go.

If you are talking about the mastering suite, I stopped using that and do the overall mixing/mastering in cubase (tracked out mixdowns) or just mastering in Soundforge (stereo mixdown).
I found that mixing in cubase sounds so much nicer, so tend to track out everything now, as of last week.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Everytime someone says they can pick out a Reason beat because it has a"Reason" sound I post 4 beats that I made in 4 different DAWs and EVERYONE gets them wrong, EVERY TIME. There is no "REASON" sound, just people who dont use it properly. And no, you should NEVER mix with a template.

There is no "REASON" sound, just people who dont use it properly.
Im going to test that.
I will mix a beat in reason, 100% done in reason using overall eq with no overall compression except limiter.
I will then track out the beat into cubase, and without changing any levels, and just using an overall eq(trackplug5), and a limiter(finalplug5).
I will try to keep the equing/limiting the same on each version. then see what happens....who knows?
I have to say since Ive been tracking out from reason into cubase and mixing there, everything sounds so much sweeter, the effects plugins are better than the reason ones.

MitchHolmes

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
template? wtf? We dont use no stinking templates.

Open reason, add mixer, then add instruments and away you go.

If you are talking about the mastering suite, I stopped using that and do the overall mixing/mastering in cubase (tracked out mixdowns) or just mastering in Soundforge (stereo mixdown).
I found that mixing in cubase sounds so much nicer, so tend to track out everything now, as of last week.

Nvm

MitchHolmes

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
That "we dont need no stinking templates" line was a play on Blazing Saddles - "We Dont Need No Stinking Badges". I know Im old, and that is an ancient film reference, I thought I should explain it.
Because I probably came off looking like a dick.

I dint get it, we are probably around the same age but i haven't seen that movie.
Ive worked with many people, ive had the chance to hook up some nice, well known artists on a few compilations and mixtapes because Im well spoken, good sales pitch so because of that I am able to get certain features.

I think i make great beats, produce great mixtape/albums but I do not mix. I use reason and i have a few templates but I do get my stuff mixed in a studio. I would like to up my skills by learning how to mix.

I dint get it, we are probably around the same age but i haven't seen that movie.
Ive worked with many people, ive had the chance to hook up some nice, well known artists on a few compilations and mixtapes because Im well spoken, good sales pitch so because of that I am able to get certain features.

I think i make great beats, produce great mixtape/albums but I do not mix. I use reason and i have a few templates but I do get my stuff mixed in a studio. I would like to up my skills by learning how to mix.
Yeah man, personally I think it is worth the time to learn how to mix effectively. The DAW used isnt really that important, whats important is the mixing tools.... Compressors/Limiters, Eq's, Delays, Reverbs etc.
Just learn how to use those tools, and then once you know how to apply them, they work pretty much the same on all DAWS.
After you have gained a bit of experience in mixing, you will start to find you can hear holes in the frequency range, or frequencies that sound course to the ear, and then it starts to come together nicely.

MitchHolmes

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Do you have a good tutorial video you can recommend??
So many are out there and probably are decent but I want one i can trust!

Do you have a good tutorial video you can recommend??
So many are out there and probably are decent but I want one i can trust!
I have a few courses on mixing and mastering, but they really aint small.
Once you understand mixing and mastering and the tools to do it, it doesnt really matter what DAW you use, as the principles are always the same. I did intend to do a whole load of tutorials myself, but now Im working, that might take longer than Id hoped.

DCeeMusik83

All I would say to thicken up the sounds in Reason, use some EQ and compression techniques to make it pop. If one doesn't know about EQ and Compression, use the dynamic effects either on the instruments or send it through the mixer, depending on how much you want on either and instrument or the overall track.

members online