SOUNd HELP....

PEEDICRACKNY

ill o.g.
Im Havin A problem...When I make a track, it sounds good on the computer speakers, then when i burn it and put it on another system it'll sound different(like the base will be too loud, or the snares to low...u dig me?) How can i get it 2 sound good on any speakers or cd player....good lookin.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
that's what monitors are used for... you probably have some real cheap speakers or a set of speakers that are really colored (that amplify the bass or the treble)...

Get yourself some monitors (good flat speakers) or, if you dont have the money for monitors (they cost like 200+$) get some good headphones... and then mix with that instead.

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
Headphones are a poor choice. Get some decent speakers. Even if they are not monitors. Just make sure they can reproduce all the freq.

Then practice mixing. Test your mixes on different systems. You'll eventually get a feel for how it should sound when you mix it.

Having a good room to mix in makes a difference too.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
J Cro said:
Headphones are a poor choice. Get some decent speakers. Even if they are not monitors. Just make sure they can reproduce all the freq.

Then practice mixing. Test your mixes on different systems. You'll eventually get a feel for how it should sound when you mix it.

Having a good room to mix in makes a difference too.

You can use headphones to mix... but good headphones, not just regular 30$ ones... There are some headphones that are flat. The only thing is that you'll get a better feel with speakers, but if you want the same quality as the one you'll get from headphones, you'll pay way WAY more IMO...

Cheap monitors:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=603709
Average Headphones: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Recording/Monitors/Headphones?sku=244501

and a list of other headphone and monitor...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/rec/navigation?N=100001+304742&page=1

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
http://www.bluebearsound.com/articles/headphones.htm

Whad'ya Mean I Can't Mix With Headphones????
by Bruce Valeriani, Mar 1/2003

On many of the recording forums I participate or moderate on, this question comes up time and again. It almost reaches the status of Urban Legend in recording circles, but even more intermediate recordists don't seem be able to understand the limitations on the use of headphones in the studio.

Here's what headphones ARE useful for - critical listening for noises or other sonic aberrations on individual tracks or mixes, and monitoring during tracking where the use of monitors would cause unwanted bleed. That's pretty much it.

"Hey! You left out mixing....!!"
Funny how that worked out, considering the title of the article! The truth is, headphones ARE NOT good mixing tools -- as a matter of fact, headphones don't make good tools at all for ANY sonic decisions.

"What are you talking about? Headphones take the room out of the equation, so it should make my mixes sound more consistent."
Well... audio engineering is full of techniques that at first appear to be common sense, and yet turn out to be the completely-wrong approach. While it's true that headphones DO take the room out of the equation, they also put your ears into two individual and very small, separate rooms all their own! Which leads to two issues...

1) Proximity and isolation - in using headphones, both your sense of stereo imaging and frequency response change... imaging is exaggerated due to the isolation of one ear from the other, and frequency response gets skewed in the bass and mid-range areas due to the proximity of the drivers to the ear. So you can't be sure of the relative levels of frequencies in that area of the spectrum.

Don't believe me? Try a simple test... Slap a pair of headphones on a decent-sounding synth/keyboard and find a patch you think sounds good through the phones. Now take the phones off and play that exact patch back through using monitors. 95% of the time you will hear a huge difference and the choice you made using headphones won't sound quite right played back on monitors, although it may have sounded excellent on the phones. Now imagine the same thing except with something as complex-sounding as a mix! As a matter of fact, try it - mix something using ONLY headphones, and then mix it again with monitors. The headphone mix will almost always be WAY off in terms of sonic balance.

2) Same headphones, different people - not only is response and imaging skewed using headphones, but to make matters worse, each person hears differently from every other person when listening on cans. The reason for this is that the response of each person's cilia (the parts of the ear responsible for detecting different frequency vibrations) is unique to each individual. This is critical because it means that the same song, through the same phones, will sound different to each person that listens to it! And you thought translating mixes using monitors is tough!!! With headphones it's almost impossible because a well-balanced sound is a moving target from person to person!

"But wait.... so what if the response is different for each person, why is that any different from monitors?"
Good question - there is a huge difference.... the "personalized-response" effect is much more pronounced with headphones due to the proximity of the cones to a person's ears. With monitors, the room acts as a frequency-response leveler, giving a more uniform response to each person hearing them, but with headphones, it's virtually direct contact between ears and the cones, there's no room effect to "level-out" the response.

The bottom line is... headphones are tools. Like any tool, there's a fairly well-defined set of tasks they are appropriate for. You can use a screwdriver to hammer a nail, but it won't be very effective. Headphones have equally well-defined uses, but none include their use as a mechanism upon which to base any sort of sonic decision... and that definitely includes mixing!

So save your pennies... get a second job... borrow yet again from your family... but DEFINITELY get a pair of studio monitors to work with. Your mixes will thank you.

Happy Recording...!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bruce Valeriani is the owner/engineer of Blue Bear Sound in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
sYgMa said:
that's what monitors are used for... you probably have some real cheap speakers or a set of speakers that are really colored (that amplify the bass or the treble)...

Get yourself some monitors (good flat speakers) or, if you dont have the money for monitors (they cost like 200+$) get some good headphones... and then mix with that instead.

agreed, i started out wit headphones,,,,go to sam aash and get a good pair of sonys

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
J Cro said:
http://www.bluebearsound.com/articles/headphones.htm

Whad'ya Mean I Can't Mix With Headphones????
by Bruce Valeriani, Mar 1/2003

On many of the recording forums I participate or moderate on, this question comes up time and again. It almost reaches the status of Urban Legend in recording circles, but even more intermediate recordists don't seem be able to understand the limitations on the use of headphones in the studio.

[...]

So save your pennies... get a second job... borrow yet again from your family... but DEFINITELY get a pair of studio monitors to work with. Your mixes will thank you.

Happy Recording...!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bruce Valeriani is the owner/engineer of Blue Bear Sound in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

By his question, I'm guessing he's just starting in beatmaking... I suggest some headphones cuz, since he's just beginning, buying some 150+$ monitors could be a waste if he decides to leave music making... that would be money wasted.

You buy monitors when you think you're in it for the long run, in my opinion, not when you're starting. so, yeah.... headphones can cut it.

Iszazial

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I am going to assume That you dont wanna spend any money or dont have any money to spend on a pair of monitors. Its understandable as when i first started out I had the same delema. probably wanna get the hang of things a bit more before makin any kind of invesment right?

anyways there is a middle road between crappy computer speakers and studio monitors but its definatly NOT headphones!
get an old Stereo amplifier thats layin around not being used as long as it has RCA input compatability. (if you dont have one this is the time of year to get one at a garage sale and get it for like 5 bucks!!). Obviously your gunna need some speakers so find yourself a nice pair or whatever since its gunna be better then your computer speakers (make sure they use regular speaker wire).
all you gotta do is hook the speakers up to your stereo amplifier and then your amplifier to you sound card. ( you will need certain type of wire which is 2 stereo rca on one side and on the other end of the wire it will have to be stereo 1/8 phono). here is a picture if you dont knowwhat that is
http://www.thesourcecc.com/images/Online/42/4218704l.jpg

so anyways usually to make a hookup like that it will take you like 10 or 15 minutes to do and shouldn't cost you more than 20 dollars! try it out and if you think its worth the investment then get some Studio Monitors once your sure its what you want.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
not a bad idea. I used to mix my shit in stereo headphones before I copped my Monitor phones,,,,shit sometimes I will mix in my studio Monitor speakers, then peep the mix in my monitor headphones, THEN, peep it in my stereo phones. Different medias are the best to mix down.

Iszazial

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
haha yeah
I got a crap set of headphones
some koss titans
studio monitors
the idea i just listed
and a 3 dollar set of computers speakers!

i love my 3 dollar speakers cuz when it sounds good on there and my monitors its gunna sound good everywhere i go