songs with harmonica loops?

R

RIZDRAVER

I'm a blues harp player also that's melding jamming blues harmonica with electronic music. Here are some great tracks/artists to start with:

Kid Koala - Stompin at Le Savoi

DJ Logic - 9th Ward Blues

DJ Logic's entire album with John Popper

Mantronix - Listen to the bass of get stupid fresh part II

R.L. Burnside - It's Bad You Know
Rollin and Tumblin (RMX)
Shake em Down

Ekkehard Ehlers - Nie wieder schnell sagen

Harco Pront

Luke Vibert & BJ Cole

Barry Adamson - Moss Side Story

Gotan Project

Honestly though, before you can bring the harmonica to hip hop, you must study the harmonica greats first. I'd stick with Big and Little Walter, Sonny Boy Williamson II, Paul Butterfield, Sonny Terry and James Cotton. Big Walter (Horton) is AWESOME for sampling those thick funky riffs (nobody will ever match the tone he had).

R

RIZDRAVER

If in stating 'folk' music you mean bluegrass/blue ridge; bluegrass was HIGHLY influenced by and basically a derivative of the blues. Blues is the roots of virtually all western music, be-it rock, pop, country, blue grass, hip hop, etc. Blues introduced the I-IV-V chord progression which is the backbone of Western/American music.

Whether it be Brittney Spears, Kanye West, Nickelback or The Chemical Brothers, they're all using the same chord progressions innovated by the blues artists (granted they're often not flat notes like most blues)

In fact it was actually slaves who brought the banjo over from West Africa for the American folk artists to discover.

As Willie Dixon said regarding American music, "the blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits."

If you want to understand the heart of most music you'll hear (especially harmonica), study the blues.

members online