Somebody Told Me

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
@2GooD Productions, man you never miss.

Love the flutes/woodwinds. I criminally underrated sound choice in hip-hop. I'm getting big time Pete Rock vibes from the drums. Super cool, intricate, and playful change ups and variations in there.

That chorus is incredibly inventive and unique. Jazzy, bluesy lines tucked in with synths and processed vocals is brilliant! I like that overdriven Clav/Organ sound after the first chorus, but I don't it fits this tune perfectly. Maybe a distorted Rhodes like the "One Day As A Lion" record would sit nicer imo.

What are you using for the flutes/winds? Maybe playing around with the articulation could add some extra vibe to the beat. Overall, super dope.

Thanks for sharing with us.

@BiggChev That flute is a patch for Halion Sonic, from the new Iconica Sketch Library thats been added to Cubase 13. I put Duck on it too to add some movement to it.
The Clav is actually a synth patch from Omnisphere. I was playing around with some of the new sounds that come with Cubase 13 to see what it has to offer with this one. Not one sample that needs clearing, for once.

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
@BiggChev That flute is a patch for Halion Sonic, from the new Iconica Sketch Library thats been added to Cubase 13. I put Duck on it too to add some movement to it.
The Clav is actually a synth patch from Omnisphere. I was playing around with some of the new sounds that come with Cubase 13 to see what it has to offer with this one. Not one sample that needs clearing, for once.
Nice! How you like Cubase? I used it religiously years ago, but now I'm just Maschine+Logic Pro

Great that your stretching yourself and experimenting with new sounds. I find it's easy to fall into a cycle of making the same types of beats repeatedly because the sound selection palette never changes.

WRT to woodwinds, I've been having lots of fun fleshing out full arrangements with Spitfire BBC Orchestra. Even when I'm not in the mood to work on a tune, just cycling through random patches in Guitar Rig while noodling on the guitar serves as some cool inspiration.

Funny, we're moving in different directions. I finally brought over my turntable from my mum's house and stuck in digging through the vinyl collection lol.

Nice! How you like Cubase? I used it religiously years ago, but now I'm just Maschine+Logic Pro

Great that your stretching yourself and experimenting with new sounds. I find it's easy to fall into a cycle of making the same types of beats repeatedly because the sound selection palette never changes.

WRT to woodwinds, I've been having lots of fun fleshing out full arrangements with Spitfire BBC Orchestra. Even when I'm not in the mood to work on a tune, just cycling through random patches in Guitar Rig while noodling on the guitar serves as some cool inspiration.

Funny, we're moving in different directions. I finally brought over my turntable from my mum's house and stuck in digging through the vinyl collection lol.
I really like cubase, I love the way it deals with audio editing which is why I switched from FL Studio back to Cubase, the only thing it doesnt do which I would like it to do is with pitch shifting chops, that can be a bit of a pain in the arse. The current method is a bit too long winded for me, but apart from that, it does everything I want from a DAW.

I use the BBC Symphony Orchestra a LOT. I was hoping to add some extra depth to the BBC library with the Iconica Sketch one, I love orchestral instruments and cant get enough of them, so was just going through some in Cubase to see if they sounded "authentic" which can be hard with certain instruments, or if they had articulations that the free BBC orchestra doesnt. If and when I ever make a tune that makes a reasonable amount of money I will invest in the full version, Spitfire make some really great sound libraries(probably the best TBH), and if I had the cash I would certainly invest in it and a couple of their other ones.

Dont get me wrong, I really love sampling, you cant beat a really good sample, but the problems arise with clearance and me being a broke ass. I just want to release some music without the worries.

Intro dope, I'm not 100 on that bass, love the first vocals, 2nd seem out of contrast to the overall vibe. Feel you've experimented here but that synth sound just seems like it belongs elswhere in my opinion.

members online