So You Wanna Make Beats?

• beat this! voting starts in...

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
I'm looking for Part 2 of the DVD offered by PSSL.com, if anyone is interesting in knowing what is on Part 1 I can reply to any question and , if neccessary, and if you're paying, send you a VHS copy of it...

I

inverse1

write up a little summary of it. i mean i already know how to make ebats but it might be good to watch for fun

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
inverse...

Summary: Part 1:Music Terms ie:kits,temp/bpms,pattern
Style Template w/ bpm ranges and examples
Suggested Equipment to buy ie:drmmachines,keybrds
5 Step Method to make beats
Interviews from some famou people ie:H.Handcock,etc.

Part 2: What's MiDi
Types of Studio Setup ie:Virtal Studio,RackMount,etc
Examples of each of the studio setups
Suggested Reading Materials

that's all i can remember off the top of the dome...sorry man...

B

Billy Bathgate

I look at it like this, either you got it or you don't. You may need help getting it out of you but if someone needs to watch a video on how to make beats then they are wack! buy like he said in the other post, it would be fun to watch. just to get a good laugh!

P

Paradox

Spend the time making the music instead of watching the videos. It's one thing to be watching a person live while they're puttin it down cause you can interact and ask questions but a video seems like a waste.

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
To tell you the truth...the DVD steped up my game 200% fold...there's alot of helpful books and equipment out there to improve everyones' game...no one is far beyond improving... not even the pros....and if it was as easy as just doing it till you get better...why are so many people on this site still asking for help....for some people maybe the 505 is better then the MPC...

B

Billy Bathgate

I still think if you have true talent then the hell with a training manual! You might need to look in a instructoin manual to learn how to freak you equipment. But not to make beats. Or look at other gear to expand your studio. But once again if you look at a instructional video to learn how to make beats then you are WEAK!!!!!

Waynyce

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I got that same video and although I make beats already, nobody knows everything and some people may not know minor technical things like understanding notes, quantizing, separating tracks and little things that we all didn't know at one time. I know my beats aren't whack, I'll go head to head with anybody

B

Billy Bathgate

I can understand loking up techinical things but I take it like they are teaching you how to make beats from nothing. If that's the case that's wack!

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
I agree w/ Waynyce ....I have the video and I'll go head to head w/ anyone...pick a topic, or instrument, or sample...Yeah. If you have it, you have it...but everyone can improve and stand to learn more...

B

Billy Bathgate

Well I guess I have to see the video and see for myself about what they are talking about. But like I said if they are talking about technicial skills then fine. but if you don't have talent and are trying to make beats from watching this video then you are wack and need to stop.

C

Copenhagen

What if you have talent but is still trying to watch the video to make beats.
I think your arguements lack something Billy. Being on this site is wack too then...a lot of us are here to both learn something and pass on our own knowledge. If I had some problems on e.g. what drum machine I should buy...asking the question in this site or watching that movie doesn't make a difference i my opinion. Now I don't have that video but it looks ok from the specs. Also, I used a similar video when starting out as a dj in order to quickly learn some stuff because I had nobody else to guide me at the time...and what's wrong with that?

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Once again the voice from the grave, speaks w/ words of wisdom and knowledge...Big Ups to Copenhagen once again...

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
billy bathgate... man... someone isnt "wack" because they want to learn a few things they may not have known. you act as if people are supposed to know it all from the get.. someone might be undecided, and watching that video may have sealed the deal for someone and made them more motivated. i wouldnt mind a video or two to brush up on some things... who cares if its technical or not? people with "true talent" have to have that talent molded and shaped, and that comes from two things: practice and information. you can be good naturally, but information helps you to take your natural abilities to another level entirely. someone isnt wack just because they dicide they would like a little more information.

E

EXEL THE BRAIN

thats a hot idea yo............ but then again you cant forget that production is a skill and you need to be born with music in your blood

G-MATRIIX

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Making beats takes alot of practice. You have to be somewhat musically inclined...

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
yeah, i think that sentiment has been beat to death. of course you have to be musically inclined, you have to have a certain measure of natural talent, you need certain skills- but that has nothing to do with someone seeking out a learning method. reading articles on techniques has helped me greatly; reading posts on this site from guys like vitaminman have given me great insite as to what it takes to get the most out of a given instrument; when someone here doesnt know what is best to do in a given situation, a setup problem, maybe they want suggestions for somthing, naybe they cant do a certain thing that they want to do.... watching a video is no different than piano lessons, or taking a recording course, because there are PRINCAPLES that are applied. thats why people take music theory and composition. people that are tremendously talented and are successful in a given field will almost always tell of their countless hours of practice, athletes watch film, writers read books, musicians will often study the traits of one that they admire..... and we all have certain artists that inspire us, many of us will here songs - iknow i do- and block out the words to dissect the beat. some of us will attempt to recreate someones elses beat and figure it out, i know countless taggers who began by tracing a friends work or something from a magazine, and it helped then greatly. that doesnt mean that they do not, or didnt have the talent, because a given passion almost always relates to a talent that the person has. there is just a multitude of ways of going about cultivating that talent. thats why most of us are on this site, isnt it? we all have questions at some point, so does that mean that everyone who asks a question doesnt have talent? of course it takes talent, but it seems like a great deal of you think that talented people wake up with their current skills one day without ever seeking out information...

B

Billy Bathgate

Ok. Check it out. I am looking at it from the perspective a guy that has no skills and is trying to learn how to make beats. I have ran into people like that. Try to ride on with others that really have the talent. They cop the video thinking that it's gonna make them be able to make beats. That's wack.

If you have your craft down and you are just looking to enhance that's cool too. but I am talking about the guys that are looking to do this and have no ability at all.

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
well it's kind of hard to say that, if you have no talent you cant make beats, becuz w/ machine like the MPC and 123 anybody can make an OK beat...

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
???? no, trust, me, not just 'anyone" can make a beat with an mpc. even after much practice. i have been kind enough to let many people try on my mpc and most people have no sense of rythm, and almost everyone will use the stupid little percussion sounds on a keyboard to do a drum line... most have no sense of, well, anything! but then, how does someone know that they have "got it" until they try? they shouldnt stop because they are wack, if it is an honest passion to them... because for those who do not take this seriously or do as a hobby, most will weed themselves out eventually.... besides, look at all the successes out there that kept at it when no one thought they were any good? timbaland had it real rough trying to break in to the biz, everyone said he was wack. micheal jordan got cut from his high school team. what would have happened had he quit? he was definatively wack if he got cut from the team, right? i say, that if this is what you truly have your heart set on.... go for it until God shows you that your calling is something else. i may even hate your music, but if that is what you are called to do then you should pursue it.