so u think u can make R&B

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
A member PM'd me about what were some of my processes and teqniques for making good R&B. This is my response, I figured it was good info that could be applied to hip hop also. enjoy

Remember this is just my opionion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This isent a stupid question at, all I will try my best

First off im going to assume your talking about making real R&B ,d-anglo,bilial,anthony Hamilton etc… Not R&B cats singing over hip hop beats(which goes on a lot these days)

Ceation……
I think that the fundamental difference between a hip hop and R&B track is its purpose. The purpose of a hip hop track is to set the melody for the song. So when a person hears a hip hop track with the rapper. The meldody of the beat and the hook of the vocalist are what they remember. THe beat bassically "pushes" the rapper along with the track
with R&B I think it’s a little different. Usually the vocalist sets the melody and the track is more like the back up singer. Basically the track inset in as much of a "pusher" as a hip hop track is(as far as the tone of the song is concerded.)

How does this help u….
Well generally R&B tracks melodies tend to be a lot smoother with a lot more chord changes. Usually there is very little looping without sometype of progression. Basically you have to practice your chourds. Now u don’t need any “formal” training on this but u do need to sit down and really figure out what sounds right.
As far as the techniques of making an R&B track, variation is the key. Sit down and come up with a melody and then make several variations (sequences) of that melody. Nice Phat full chords always help. The usual instruments apply(rhoads, bass, piano, guitar, strings etc..) Also very sublte drumming is very important, Usually u want R&B tracks to have a "live" feel. So make sure you switch up those patterns.

How I make the tracks
Ive noticed that with hip hop tracks I can usually come up with an idea and go with it..
For me R&B tracks take a lot more planning cause I basically making 4 or 5 varitaions of the song(bridges, different keys etc.) and composing them toghter. It usually takes me a at least 3 to 4 days to get a good R&B track out whare as I can bang out a quality hip hop track in a day..
As of yet I have only made 2 or 3 true R&B songs(haven’t focused on it yet). Afrque is a master at this (as far as composing, bridges, key changes etc), Whats funny is that he doesn’t even know that he is doing it which is proof u don’t need formal training if it is in you

Style
This is another thing that I always tell people about making any type of music. It has to be in you!!! I’m pretty sure hip hop is something that was in you from the start. You probably have listened to it intensely most of your adult life. And it is something that is programmed in you.
Well R&B is no different, Most hip hop producers cant make a good R&B songs and most R&B producers cant make a hip hop song. You can’t do one and not have any experience in the other and expect to be proficient at it. It takes practice and u really have to feel it.

I cant lie , im blessed in this aspect. Because of my musical influences and training, most of my tracks have a very musical R&B flava to them(even my hard core hip hop tracks). This is something I cannot plan or help, it just comes out. So I can transition more easily to the R&B side then RZA ,premier or lil john could.

Before u even start
u should ask yourself is it even worth it, should u inverst all this time in something else when u know your good at making hip hop beats??? I mean don’t get me wrong always experiment and try new stuff. But I know I’m not going to be making punk rock albums anytime soon. If u keep trying and trying and only end up with hip hop beats maybe thats a sign. Hell, most people cand do that well so your already ahead of the game.

Whew damn I dident mean to write all that, actually ive gotten the question from many different people so if u don’t mind me including your orginal post I would like to post this reply on the forum. Shit I may even holla at fade and ask him to make it an article.

Let me know If I can post it

Hope this helps

class....

Vex

ill o.g.
personally ill probably never make an R n B beat in my life, but that response is good to read, nicely detailed, big up yaself G.

its true though, hip hop beats are more popular now in R n B (Mario Winans, Houston etc..)

safe.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Hip Hop has merged into RnB more specifically the drum patterns, Type of drum sample choices, prominence in the mix and also samples all the way down to the basslines, Starting Back with Mary J Blige and Faith, even though Angela Winbush was one of the first to incorporate this weaving of the traditionally associated RnB from the 80-90's era like Atlantic Starr..........most RnB is HEAVILY influenced by Hip Hop nowadays and as a fact a great amount of the old School Hip Hop Producers made a lot of the hit RnB considered classics in the 90's and moving forward....a lot of the old producers are still hard at work having found their way into the background doing RnB....Check out Eric Sermons Discography, Chucky Thompson(produced most of Faiths songs, Nas 1 mic and Biggie) or Eddie F (production for Heavy D back in the Day but produced RnB Hits also)....now there's different trains of thought when you consider RnB though.......
I do not agree with the whole if you can't do something hang it up...Try listening to RNB and deconstruct it...learn Bridges, learn how they find old already played riffs and either replay or interpolate them..... ( oh you can quote me on it...there might be inaccuracies possibly, don't hold me to it you can do some research if you want more...but none of the previous info was done via web search and copy and paste except for the example hyperlinks below....LOL)

Here are some flavors of RnB that each have their own Niche but fall under the umbrella of the RnB Genre!
.Example Rodney Jerkins..
http://www.bmi.com/musicworld/features/199911/rjerkins.asp
http://www.darkchild.com/
His Flavor of RnB is verges more on POP and does contain synths and samples as well as played and arranged keys and other acoustic instrument, this man does it all.....

Take a look at Divine Mill's Jaheim
Produced by KayGee who I had the pleasure to meet personally last month and play 2 tracks for upcoming production
http://www.jaheimmusic.com/
Lots of Soul and Flavor, still lacing Samples with fine musicianship on the tracks....not your traditional RNB

or even
Carl Thomas
http://www.carlthomas.com/
Laced with more NEO soul edgy tracks with some samples but mainly acoustic tracks...

This is just an example that There are soooooo many flavors as Rules how you choose to construct your music, formal training and knowledge of arrangement are important factors but nowadays it is a PLUS for any producer to be able to easily CROSS over onto any project they might be asked to do...whether RnB or Hip Hop...it Just adds to your overall value....
also information that I gathered in NY as to what the HOT trend is nowadays are
Songwriting Producers.....those that can write and produce their work for Singers and also ghostwrite material for rappers.....

Just a few words