Sidechaining Drums

Ferret

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Does anyone here know how to sidechain your kick drums to where it almost cuts all the rest of the beat out for the initial hit. I know about sidechaining from one channel to the other, but its doesn't really do that.
sorta like this

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
You should try Parallel Compression. I dont know what Daw or plugins you use. Youtube Parallel Compression and it will give you a really good example.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
This sounds like sidechain compression AND parallel processing.

Look into side-chain compression. I don't know what Host you're using, but I know the MClass Compressor in Reason (3 and higher) has a side-chain. I'm quite sure high-end mastering VSTs like Waves has side-chains. As for free, the only one I can think of, off hand is the ReaPlugs Compressor.

The parallel is basically just so you hear the sound that goes into the compressor's gate.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
You know, I didn't even realize this was in the "FL Studio" section.

Does anyone really pay attention to the categories when reading threads?
Cause I sure don't. I just hit "new posts".

Well, good post Dac. I still suggest using an actual Side-chain Comp tho. It might be a bit less work than using the Peak Controller as a volume gate. If not, it's still the same basic effect.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Yeah I agree, there's another video out there thats wack as hell, this cat uses the compressor, but dude messes up big time throughout it but all that you have to do is sidechain the compressor as well, it gives the effect a little more umph. I like this way better because a lot of people don't understand how compressors work and if tweaked correctly, the ear would never know the difference.