Showcase - November 7-13, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik

Battle Points: 8
Well then lemme spark it!!!!

This is really dope.... I like it. Made me think of "The Sun God" By Hi-Tek/Common.

The only thing I would suggest would be to smooth it out some. It's a little jerky... but part of that is by virtue of the chops. The kicks swing nice... maybe find a way to get the hi hats to have a little more play. Overall I think it's good, I really like it.

Here's on that I've been working on.

TheRealAGE

@S3oulC1ty I like the sidechain effect on the sample chops. I think the drums could use some work. The snare and hat feel like they are too separate from everything in the mix. Some parts from the sample come in too loud as well. I like the vibe of this overall but the mix needs polishing.

@Erik Nice right off the bat. I like the bounce on this eat. Its got my head noddin'

I'd say bring the sample down in the mix. Let the drums sit a bit louder than the sample. But this is dope.

Here is my latest beat

Beautiful Noise

No Song is Safe.
Battle Points: 8
@S3oulC1ty yo, this beat is nice! I do agree that the drums need a little adjusting. The kick needs more punch to match that attack level of the snare. I always believe the kick and snare should compliment each other attack wise. If the kick hits you in the chest, so should the snare, and vice versa

@Erik I love the mood of this beat. The overall mix sounds on point too. Props!

@TheRealAGE yo, I'm not really into trap beats, so it's hard for me to critique this style. Nothing personal

Ok, this is the third and final time I'm tweeking this beat. I do take your feedback and suggestions into consideration and will make the proper adjustments to make my work sound better, but at the end of the day, I can't keep revisiting a beat over and over because someone keeps dissecting every element of my beats. I appreciate all the feedback on those who do offer suggestions though.

Nothing here yet.

Hadoq

Producing weird shit since 2002
Hi, it's been a while since I've posted here, I've been busy as hell, currently working on my first official EP, and glad to announce I've finally found a label to help me put my music out there ! I can't wait for the first release <3

anyway, here's a beat I've been working on, followed by my feedback on previously posted beats

@S3oulC1ty
great way to start things of, this beat is tight and loose at the same time, great samples and atmosphere, love it !
I agree with the "hi-tek" comment

@Erik
busier track here, nice chops also, more like an "instrumental" type of beat, it holds its own, I wish it was longer and that it would tell more of a story tho

@TheRealAGE
Less my cup of tea musically, but it's clean

@Beautiful Noise
Yeah ! this reminds me of some J-zone right off the bat, oldschool groovy stuff with shady (in a good way) samples. Nice evolution, so it doesn't get boring, I like what you did there.

Last edited:

NONONSENSEBEATS

NononsenseBeats
Battle Points: 237
@S3oulC1ty dope beat bro. Sample is nice. Luv the bass. Not a huge fan of the drums but they work tho. Nice work.

@Erik nice beat. I agree it definitely needs to be longer. Overall sounds good. Good job.

@TheRealAGE Its not reaaly my style but its dope for what it is.

@Beautiful Noise sounds good to me bro. Nice work.

@Hadoq I couldnt play your beat but will check out your soundcloud later and give my feedback.

Here is a couple older beats I dusted off. Gonna try to get the mix right so all feedback will definitely be appreciated

Last edited:

Hadoq

@NONONSENSEBEATS
let's get funky: I like the general atmosphere, but the sample tends to get annoying after a while, maybe a few cuts or at least modifications of the sample would be nice and let the beat breathe a little more. I think at times the sample overshadows the rest of the track, that is very good. maybe some volume automation or something like that, to put the sample a little bit "behind" at times.

Tarentino: this one is better, IMO, again, great atmosphere and good variety within your sounds. I like the overall groove.

PS: you won't be able to find my track on soundcloud as it is private, but I will upload it on youtube soon, you can use the direct link in my post (copy/paste) to get to the beat.

Sole Element

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
@S3oulC1ty I like it just needs to be mixed better but dope.
@Erik that's a great sample man, and you did a good job of keeping smooth drums to not overpower the sample. NICE!!
@TheRealAGE Great mix!! Great arrangement!! You did your thing with this one.
@Hadoq That's very creative man. I'm a strong supporter of producers who try different things, and I really love all the sounds in this beat and it sounds clean.
@NONONSENSEBEATS Let's get funky is catchy and I would like to hear someone spit to this if you get someone with a good style I think it would be a good song. Some may say it is repetitive but I like repetitive sampled beats just depends on the person. Tarentino was also dope great consistency with these two beats.
@Bravo Beatz The first beat was good I just didn't like the strings but still good. The second beat was on point.
@Beautiful Noise Like the sample and you did a great job of staying in the pocket with the drums. Good beat man.

Here is my beat trying to work on my non sampling skills.

Hadoq

@Matt-D
you got me with the Rhodes, nice chord progression, small sounds, man don't get it the wrong way, but I think our styles sound fairly similar, it's fresh, original, deep, complex, inspiring to me, a lot.
This is the kind of sound that I love to hear, it's pretty unique, not one of those "X-type beat", props for that, you sir, got balls, as well as talent.

if I had to criticize, I don't think the whole thing sounds as "fat" as it could, I would have loved to hear a much more present bass for example (if you got the midi file, I can try and record one for you if you want)
maybe some more movement in the pans, a few more background fx sounds to give it even more depth, of course, there are always means to improve, but you start from a very good place already.

What kind of gear/synth are you using? mostly hardware? software? a little of both? it does sound a little "software" for me, but I may be wrong here.

Anyway, great track and much love <3

PS: welcome to the newcomers, I'm not sure about how it should work, but anyway, this is how I do this
when I first post in the week's thread, I make sure to leave feedback to any track that has been previously posted in the same message where I post my own track. I give some of my time for the others first.
Then if later on, someone posts a feedback on my own track, I make sure I also post feedback on theirs.

I think it's better than the usual F4F way we see on other boards

Nonetheless, I'll still leave feedback, since I'm already here, why the hell not

@44Beatzz
not a big fan of the track, it sounds like you just threw some sounds together, there isn't really any structure, buildup, or events, just a few things looping.
I think you should focus on the groove, the general movement of your music, polish each individual instrument track as much as you possibly can, and make sure that together, they are not only related, but also tell a story.
keep working tho, just focus on being yourself, tell your own story, don't try to be someone else.

@Messy Beatz
Sounds like it's well put together, not a big fan of the "messy beatz, purchase your track today"
not a big fan, it does sound like a "product" rather than an authentic heart felt piece of your soul. Which I'd rather listen to.
I mean, this kind of community here, I believe, is a good place to hone your skills and become, not only a better producer, but also a better musician. But you got to open up first, show who you are.
And I'm sure you're much more than a "producer", that initial musical and creative spark necessary to get where you're at -skill wise- right now, can not only be initiated by the need for cash, there's something deeper to you making music than just money and products, your track wouldn't be so clean if there wasn't.
and that's what I'd long to listen to, because you got talent.

your music can be so much more than a product if you allow it to be, and if you allow yourself to truly express what your soul is made of. It's worth so much more than whatever you're asking for a beat.
Don't ever settle for less than what you're worth

@MartiS
Funnily enough, I actually knew a "martis" that made beats a decade ago ;)
I like the intro a lot
but once the beat comes, while it retains quite a bit of flavor, and still breathes and lives a lot, it sounds kind of quickly put together.
Maybe it's due to the drums that really don't sound that good (sorry)

I think a good part of your problem here lies in the mix and overall balance
another part is the drums

What's good is the synth sounds, the vocal stuff is alright too, but I'd like to hear more harmonic variations, or maybe a couple more elements to harmonically cement all the different parts.

So some good, and some less good, but overall, I like what I hear here and I can't wait to hear the kind of stuff you'll be putting out in a few months if you work hard on your music, it can become truly amazing.
hard work is the easy part

Last edited:

NONONSENSEBEATS

NononsenseBeats
Battle Points: 237
@Hadoq yo that beats wild. A lot of sounds but they all work really well. Dope beat bro.

@Matt-D yo this is my style right here. Super smooth and a dope drum. Not a big fan of the choir or synth or whatever that tone is but that doesnt take away from the beat. Nice work bro

@Messy Beatz like the beat. Its dope, The mix is on point. Hate the tag tho.

@MartiS I think this has potential bro. I dig the "la la la la" sample. The tones are ok. I think most of the prob is the mix tho. Maybe a nicer drum too. Good work tho just needs some tweaking. Btw welcome to Ill.

Messy Beatz

Battle Points: 11
[USER=15576]@Messy Beatz
Sounds like it's well put together, not a big fan of the "messy beatz, purchase your track today"
not a big fan, it does sound like a "product" rather than an authentic heart felt piece of your soul. Which I'd rather listen to.
I mean, this kind of community here, I believe, is a good place to hone your skills and become, not only a better producer, but also a better musician. But you got to open up first, show who you are.
And I'm sure you're much more than a "producer", that initial musical and creative spark necessary to get where you're at -skill wise- right now, can not only be initiated by the need for cash, there's something deeper to you making music than just money and products, your track wouldn't be so clean if there wasn't.
and that's what I'd long to listen to, because you got talent.

your music can be so much more than a product if you allow it to be, and if you allow yourself to truly express what your soul is made of. It's worth so much more than whatever you're asking for a beat.
Don't ever settle for less than what you're worth[/USER]

I really appreciate the detailed feedback @Hadoq - you truly sound like you know a bit about music and the feed you gave me is very valued.

Its very unfortunate I have to put those 'Tags' into my instrumentals but after 12+ years of making beats and learning other musical stuff I decided in January to make this a business and with my savings I quit my 9-5 and now do this as a full time job...

I wish we were in a world where people would not steal or rip our music for free thenI wouldn't have to put the tags in BUT as you and I know we don't.

I have tried chasing multiple placements and getting management and do all that glorious stuff over the 12 years before I decided to take this route and none of it worked for me but I can say from January till present I have been able to pay mortgage, bills, look after wife and 2 kids and book holiday for next year all from my music an selling them the way I am currently.

Id still make music weather it was selling or not but as things stand its quite fruitful at the moment so why not.

[QUOTE="NONONSENSEBEATS, post: 350318, member: 15720"][USER=16391]

[USER=15576]@Messy Beatz
like the beat. Its dope, The mix is on point. Hate the tag tho.[/USER][/QUOTE]

I hate it too but my work needs to be protected somehow. Thanks for the feedback though and I'm glad you liked the beat bro.

*** I will be back on later tonight and leave feedback to both @Hadoq & @NONONSENSEBEATS and to everyone who posted before my beat was posted and to anyone who leaves feedback before I get back on in a few hours.

Thanks
[/user]

Status
Not open for further replies.