Showcase - May 26 - June 1, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Richy

Battle Points: 6

the first part is an older beat that I chopped. the switch beat is mostly loop. nothing special, just some ish I was feeling at the time. im open for criticism.

I love it, gives me a slight Pete Rock vibe.

Just made this one, I'm up for all criticism

I'm really kinda not feeling it, the beat isn't my kind of vibe I'm afraid, the synths aren't that bad though.

Please check out my little loop/beat I made recently.

Chubbs66

Thanks, Defintely appreciate that!

This is really cool too! Damn, that low end is really kicking! I love it when you do that beat repeat thing.
But watch out tho, cause i think it was too much that it drowned the percussions into the background.
Maybe try layering more sounds into the percussions to make it stand out?
Or maybe thats what you were going for. hehe

Curious tho, what monitor you use?

oh and dont forget to listen to athagreat's beat, its also a dope beat!

Peace!

for monitors i'm using some JPW ML510's with a fairly decent technics class a amp (known to be fairly neutral). the speakers are a cheap but good hifi brand. they're 2 way, 5" woofer & dome tweeter. they're well reviewed but obviously lack the predictability of proper monitors. they're quite sharp! i have a half assed sub paired with it but definitely have to find something better in that regard.

Jac

jac - nice & atmospheric. in terms of production, pretty amazing if you're implying you only have a week's experience total. the drums could do with some beefing up. is that a loop you're using or individual sounds? either way you could layer up another snare or 2 (i choose the characteristics i'm after from a few sounds, ie first find a snare that's closest to what i'm after and mix it with the highs from a snappy snare and the mids from say a rim shot to ad some body, all triggered by the same midi note. battery is ideal for this (and i'm sure any semi decent drum machine vst can do the same) as you can eq/effect each individually assign them to the same output. you can do similar overlays in sampler vst's but it takes a bit more patience.
oh, and while it may not sound intuitive for bassy music you basically want to cut off any bassy sounds below about 30-80hz. with a 12db/octave high pass you'll still get plenty of sub with a cutoff of 50hz. the point is to cut off anything the human ear physically can't hear and roll off those sub frequencies to leave plenty of head room in the mix for other sounds as well as tightening up the bass sound as a whole.

First of thanks for the critic, I need it and you've already helped me a lot. I'm working on the Maschine Mikro, so the drums are my own and no looping was done, but hadn't learned about layering my drums till I read your post. So will be doing that in the future for sure, already tried doing it on some of the beats I'm working on and it seems to be working pretty well. In regards to the bass, I'm reading all the articles I can dig up on the forum and will be playing around with it. Oh and thanks again for the well written feedback!

Chubbs66

^ i'm glad you could understand it!. i was a tad drunk and had trouble wording it properly.

when i started layering up my drum sounds like that my beats started sounding way more solid. you can even set up different parameters of each element to velocity to really tweak your sound. then add a bit of humanisation or even randomize the velocity a little (easy to do in cubase with the midi modifiers plugin in the midi inserts of your drum midi pattern) to add a human element if that's what you're after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online