Showcase - March 28 - April 3, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadoq

Producing weird shit since 2002
@ColeSllaw this beat (layered) reminds me of some old benga, which is good. Some sort of bassline would definitely take this beat to the next level. Maybe not a bassline per se, maybe just the same notes as the lead, even the same sound, but with another oscillator a couple of octaves down.

@saaid
Time: nice intro, I like your sounds, maybe (and coming from me, really, it doesn't mean much) too many melodies in the front, and maybe too similar/close sound spectrum. Maybe try adding some more variety in your sounds. I'd definitely want a stronger bass line to glue it all together.

Blue Sheep: this one is a little too much like the other one, definitely try and use different sounds, it also sounds like the exact same drum kit, it also sounds like a very close drum pattern

So all in all, maybe get away from that 808 sounds for a bit, see what happens (and I love 808 as much as the next guy), coupled with those synths, the tracks are way too close to each other, get out of your comfort zone and I'm sure something magical will happen.

@The Monk Good atmosphere, but the mix sounds a little "enclosed", the beat reminds me of some oldschool bluetech, which is also a good thing.
I'd love to have the overal sound pop out more because musically it really has something very nice.

@eelxb I'm going to tell you the same thing as the other guy, it's best to also leave feedback as you share one of your beats for feedback.
Nice loop, same as Monk, it sounds like it's enclosed in a box, you need to free the mix a little more, have the hats and the drums in general stand out more. Very nice chop tho!

@Erik Long-ish intro, the sound is nice overall, but I'm not a big fan of the beat, sorry. Not sure about the "live" feel with the crowd in the background.
maybe it's just me

@saaid Electric: here's something a little different, I like this one better than the others. Still not a big fan of the sounds, I'd love to hear a much stronger bass, again. But overall, this is my favorite of the 3 you posted here. I'll tell you the same thing (and again, coming from me, it doesn't mean that much, really), get out of your comfort zone ;)

@KZA Nice intro, nice loop. Overall a very cool beat. Stylistically, I'm hearing alot of stuff like that lately. Not sure if it's a good thing. Overall a very very nicely put together beat, but on a personal level, I like more challenging music. Tell me who you truly are rather than working hard at doing musc that others already done in the past. And you are working hard. Let your true self out, and with this talent, you'll blow minds for breakfast!

Alright here's my stuff, be gentle, but be true

Hit The Road

Battle Points: 1
@Hadoq , really like how all the sounds grow togheter, the slow drums make it very chill. That hat is dope man, sounds self recorded! I think just the kick could have been harder and the clap lower, but it sounds very nice as it is!

@KZA , absolutely amazing track man! That bassline is just perfect, really like the reverb on the snare.

@The Monk , crazy power in those drums, the bassline let itself in perfectly. Really like the snare also, i think it's combined with a clap?

@saaid , very loud beat, i like that power. All the contrasting sounds make the beat very intresting. I think you could have made the bassline a little bit harder, but that's my opinion. Good job, keep going!

@Erik, strange beat, atypical, i like it! i love the old style drums.

@Solo , i heard this beat yesterday on soundcloud, really like it. It's absolutely chill. The bassline is very nice, the hats are relaxing and the vocal is perfectly low. I appreciate your work man!

Here's my beat, let me know what you guys think!

Hadoq

@Hit The Road thanks. Glad you like the beat. lately, I've been recording my drum parts on my keyboard (as opposed as programmed directly in live), to add that "human" feel. I've struggled to decide how to balance kick and snare, went this way. nothing is set in stone, usually I go back on my tracks whenever an MC does his thing on it.

About your beat. can't help but love the oldschool vibe, the loops are definitely dope here, and while old-school-ish, it still sounds somewhat modern.
I don't know how you did that. The mix is stellar and the drums as good as they can.
For how long have you been doing this?

Hit The Road

@Hadoq , i'm really glad to hear this. I've been producing since 2010, but i can't stop listening to the old school beats, now that everybody can't help making trap beats, experimental hiphop, using a lots those 808. I was thinking about creating a old style beat, with something about the 70's, the 80's and something modern.

That's what i was talking about, human touch, it's clearly visible. I heard something more about you on yt, love your stuff, really great vibes!

Hadoq

@Hadoq , i'm really glad to hear this. I've been producing since 2010, but i can't stop listening to the old school beats, now that everybody can't help making trap beats, experimental hiphop, using a lots those 808. I was thinking about creating a old style beat, with something about the 70's, the 80's and something modern.

That's what i was talking about, human touch, it's clearly visible. I heard something more about you on yt, love your stuff, really great vibes!

I can't help but agree. I have nothing against trap and whatever, it's fine, and some of it is even great. it's just

1. I can't do anything but my own style, I've tried and failed numerous times, now I don't try anymore, I don't see the point of doing someone else's music, as music comes from the depths of one's soul. I've actually seen the "place" where my music comes from, it's dark and extremely beautiful and complex to a point that is not understandable nor describable by language. This place is "above our paygrade" but it expresses itself through our music, and I take it art in general (I do, however believe music is the ultimate art form)

2. I can't really use software for creating, just recording and arranging, I need actual hardware synths, keyboards, instruments. Some of my music is made of loops of stuff that I've played, some is directly played live throughout the track (I do use some sound banks for some SFX tho, but I got an ms20 mini on the way ;) ) right now, most of my sounds come from either an Alesis ION, either from my rhodes. Some bass lines are played on a real bass (like the common remix, which is mostly bass and rhodes)

What transpires in your beat here is a good musical culture, this is the key. the more diverse the stuff you listen to, the more ideas you have, it's pretty logical when you think about it.

This forum has a clearly above average skill level and an amazing mentality from what I've seen, it's very inspiring and dynamic, and we got @Fade to thank for it, but also most members are extremely positive and smart people for the most part.

Hit The Road

@Hadoq : I totally agree. I discovered this forum yesterday and i really feel amazed about it. I'm from Rome, and if you don't know, Italy is not the best place to express your creativity especially if we're talking about beats, hip hop, downtempo or whatever.
What you say about making your own style is something the world is forgetting, but the kind of music we talk about, i think it's all about expressing who you really are, and what you really feel, and you can do this the easy way, by using a computer, or you can do this the right way, as you said, using instruments, human feel.

Thank you for the great feedback, i was really looking forward to it.

Hadoq

@Hit The Road Interesting discussion. I'm from France myself, so maybe I know a little about what you talk about, with creativity and expressing oneself, we're on the same (sinking) boat, brother! Let's celebrate with dope music!

I don't think it's about instruments vs computers, I used to be very "instrument" myself, especially in my teens, when I didn't consider electronic music as "true music". then I fell in love with electronic music and hip hop (very long story here, not for today). My whole paradigm shifted. Suddently it wasn't about chords and melodies that much anymore, I got introduced to the notions of groove, sounds, colors etc... all those tools I could also use to express what is deep within which can't be expressed in words.

About the world forgetting, I believe we are each on our own path, we all have our own goals, dreams and lessons to learn too. Most likely, the ones able to find the uniqueness and express it are the blessed ones. I truly feel blessed to be able to create music and express such complex and beautiful things.
For many, doing what's popular is a way to familiarize themselves with this concept, and hopefuly, many of these will then embrace their own thoughts, feelings, and start making their very own music, again, we all have a different path.

That being said, you're on the right track, have faith in yourself because you have a great gift, surround yourself with positive and inspiring people (if you haven't already) and you'll be all set! the only thing you got to do: hard work

Status
Not open for further replies.